The following are the requirements for admission into the OHSU School of Nursing Public Health programs. Please see the international applicant web page for additional requirements if you are a resident of a country other than the United States.
- Master of Public Health-Primary Health Care and Health Disparities
- Graduate Certificate in Public Health
It is expected that applicants to the public health graduate programs have a Bachelors Degree from a regionally accredited institution. It is not required to hold a nursing or medical degree.
Work experience is not required for either program. OHSU welcomes applications from those who are new to the public health field as well as from more experienced public health professionals.
Grade Point Average
Minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0
Graduate Record Exam (GRE) Scores
The OHSU School of Nursing GRE code is 4900. OHSU recommends a minimum score of 500 in each section (verbal and quantitative) as well as a minimum analytic writing score of 4.0 for the scoring scale used prior to August 2011 or a 144 in the quantitative section, 153 in the verbal section, and a minimum analytic writing score of 4.0 to be competitive - Master of Public Health ONLY.*
Master of Public Health applicants may submit MCAT scores in place of GRE scores.
Need help studying for the GRE? Previous applicants have found this site helpful.
*Applicants who already hold masters degrees from accredited US institutions do not need to take the GRE.
Applicants to the Graduate Certificate program are not required to submit standardized test scores.
Must successfully pass a basic statistics course with a grade of "C" or better prior to entry into the Master of Public Health program. Go to course equivalency guide
Applicants to the Graduate Certificate program are not required to meet the statistics requirement.
Letters of Recommendation
Applicants must submit three letters of reference as a part of the application process. OHSU prefers that applicants submit references from the following:
- A supervisor
- An instructor
- A co-worker or other
- Applications are accepted online only at the application start page. This online application will include application essay as well as a printable signature page which should be printed and turned in with your application packet.
- Official transcripts: Request each college you have attended to send the official transcript(s) to you showing completions of all academic work. Do not open the envelopes in which transcripts are received. For our purpose they are official only if the seal is intact. Include all transcripts in your application packet.
- Current résumé or curriculum vitae.
- Letters of recommendation should be included in your packet in signed and sealed envelopes.
- Master of Public Health applicants only-Unofficial copy of GRE scores. (Official GRE scores should be sent directly from ETS)
- A $120.00 nonrefundable application fee made payable online by credit or debit card.