Doctor of Philosophy
Program Requirements for Admission
The following are the requirements for admission into the OHSU School of Nursing PhD in program or the combined PhD/MNE programs. Applicants to the combined program pay a single application fee, submit an additional essay and are reviewed by both PhD and MNE admissions committees. Please see the international applicant web page for additional requirements if you are a resident of a country other than the United States.
It is expected that applicants to the PhD program have a baccalaureate degree in nursing or a master's degree in nursing from a program accredited by the National League for Nursing Accrediting Commission or the Commission of Collegiate Nursing Education. On a case-by-case basis, the application committee will consider a master's degree in a related field as meeting the requirement for admission. Please contact the PhD Program Director to discuss this option.
The Graduate Record Examination (GRE) is not required to apply to the PhD program. However, some research funding and scholarship opportunities may still require the GRE. Please contact the admissions office for more details.
- RN Licensure: Students on the Portland campus must have a nursing license in the State of Oregon prior to enrolling. Students attending from a distance must have a nursing license within their primary state of residence prior to enrolling. If distance students come to Portland to engage in nursing practice (including conducting research in Oregon), they must obtain a nursing license in the state of Oregon.
Grade Point Average
Minimum Graduate or undergraduate GPA of 3.0.
Letters of Recommendation
Applicants must submit three letters of reference as a part of the application process. References should have the ability to speak to the applicant's potential for scientific research
and/ or teaching. Thus, letters from persons with graduate degrees, especially doctoral degrees, are preferred.
Example of Scholarly work
Applicants are required to submit an example of scholarly writing. This can be a published paper, thesis, or research paper used as a part of a course requirement.
- Applications are accepted online only at the application start page. This online application will include application essays as well as a printable signature page which should be printed and turned in with your application packet. Applicants to the combined PhD/MNE complete the same application, but have an additional essay question.
- Official transcripts: from all coursework beyond high school, showing completion of academic work and degrees awarded. transcripts must be submitted in an envelope sealed by the institution with intact seal. Include all transcripts in your application packet.
- Current résumé or curriculum vitae.
- Letters of recommendation should be included in your packet in signed and sealed envelopes.
- Example of scholarly work
- Please review the PhD faculty website http://www.ohsu.edu/xd/education/schools/school-of-nursing/programs/doctor-of-philosophy/meet-phd-faculty/index.cfm prior to submitting your application. Contact a faculty member or members whom you would like to study with to discuss your research interests. You will be asked about this in the online application.
- A $120.00 nonrefundable application fee made payable online by credit or debit card.Only one application fee is required for the combined PhD/MNE program, but it will be reviewed by both the PhD and MNE application committees.
2012 Doctoral Program Interview Dates
Interviews for the PhD program will be held the week of February 4-8, 2012. Interviews are conducted in person when possible, but arrangements can be made to interview by telephone.