Post Baccalaureate to Doctor of Nursing Practice
The following are the requirements for admission into the OHSU School of Nursing post Baccalaureate to Doctor of Nursing Practice programs. Please see the international applicant web page for additional requirements if you are a resident of a country other than the United States.
- Post Baccalaureate to DNP - Nurse Midwifery
- Post Baccalaureate to DNP - Family Nurse Practitioner
- Post Baccalaureate to DNP - Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner
It is expected that applicants to the post Baccalaureate to Doctor of Nursing Practice programs have, or will have, a B.S. with a major in nursing or B.S.N. degree from a program accredited by the National League for Nursing Accrediting Commission or the Commission of Collegiate Nursing Education.
- Must be eligible for an Oregon registered nurse license prior to matriculation.
- Must be licensed in the state of Oregon prior to matriculation.
Depending on your program of interest, you may need at least one year of experience as an R.N. to qualify. Below is a list of programs that require or recommend work experience:
- Certified Nurse Midwifery - recommended one year of labor and delivery experience.
- Family Nurse Practitioner - strongly recommended one year of experience as an R.N.
Grade Point Averages
Minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0.
Minimum science GPA of a 3.0 (this includes coursework from departments such as anatomy, biology, biochemistry, chemistry, physics, physiology, etc.)
Must successfully pass a basic statistics course with a grade of "B" or better within five years prior to entry into the master's program.
Graduate Record Examination (GRE) Scores
Applicants are required to submit official Graduate Record Exam (GRE) scores from the general test from ETS. The OHSU School of Nursing code is 4900. OHSU recommends a minimum score of 500 in each section (verbal and quantitative) as well as a minimum analytic writing score of 4.0 for the scoring scale used prior to August 2011 or a 144 in the quantitative section, 153 in the verbal section, and a minimum analytic writing score of 4.0 to be competitive.
*Applicants who already hold a graduate degree from an accredited US institution do not need to take the GRE.
Letters of Recommendation
Applicants must submit three letters of reference as a part of the application process. OHSU prefers that applicants submit references from the following:
- A supervisor
- An instructor
- A co-worker or other
Example of Scholarly work
Applicants to the Accelerated Bachelors to Doctor of Nursing Practice programs are required to submit an example of scholarly writing. This can be a published paper, thesis, or research paper used as a part of a course requirement.
- Applications are accepted online only at the application start page. This online application will include application essays as well as a printable signature page which should be printed and turned in with your application packet.
- Official transcripts: Request each college you have attended to send the official transcript(s) to you showing completions of all academic work. Do not open the envelopes in which transcripts are received. For our purpose they are official only if the seal is intact. Include all transcripts in your application packet.
- Current résumé or curriculum vitae.
- Letters of recommendation should be included in your packet in signed and sealed envelopes.
- Example of scholarly work
- GRE Scores.
- A $120.00 nonrefundable application fee made payable online by credit or debit card.