National Provider Identifier (NPI)
The Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) requires that all physicians have an NPI, which will replace all the current provider identifiers (such as UPIN and PIN) used to bill for patient care. OHSU requires you to obtain an NPI for prescribing in our electronic medical records system, EPIC. Please apply now for your NPI and provide to GME asap to ensure your smooth transition to practice patient care at OHSU. This NPI is yours for life.
Each provider will receive a unique NPI. It is a 10-digit number that is intelligence free, meaning it does not contain any information about the provider, such as specialty or place of practice. It does not cost anything to obtain an NPI. Since it is a permanent number, changes in practice location, license status and other demographic information about the provider need to be reported to CMS within 30 days of the change.
The NPI will be used in electronic medical record systems to streamline processes and reporting.
To apply online, go to: https://nppes.cms.hhs.gov/NPPES/Welcome.do
Please select “individual” for provider type.
Here is a list of information you will need to complete the application:
- Provider Name (you)
- Provider Date of Birth
- Country of Birth
- State of Birth (if Country of Birth is U.S.)
- Provider Gender
- Sole Proprietor (please mark NO, this is for people who are self-employed)
- Mailing Address
- Practice Location Address and Phone Number (OHSU, 3181 SW Sam Jackson Park Road, Portland OR 97239, 503 494-8211)
- Taxonomy (Student, Health Care 390200000X)
- State License Information (Not required with student taxonomy information)
- Contact Person Name (you)
- Contact Person Phone Number and Email (your phone number and email)
For NPI technical support please contact 1-800-465-3203 or TTY 1-800-692-2326.