The national research landscape has shifted. Federal funding is moving towards team-based grants and projects. Answering complex biomedical questions requires a collective effort to solve the most difficult and important questions in science.
Above all, academic biomedicine and science must be guided by the goal to improve human health.
A Vision, A Plan
In 2010-2011, the OHSU School of Medicine prepared for these shifts by developing and adopting a Research Roadmap. This strategic plan is the result of a collective effort by more than 100 faculty members and is guided by one vision:
By 2016, the OHSU School of Medicine will be recognized globally for excellence in scientific discovery, collaboration and the rapid translation of new knowledge into practices that improve human health.
Results So Far
Today, faculty-led task forces are implementing six strategic initiatives. Our efforts are bearing fruit.
- Increased support for research faculty
- Improved research infrastructure
- Advancement in computational biology
- Reduction in barriers to research
- Greater promotion of research
- Support for research collaboration and capacity
- And more
We have also launched a process to support faculty as they transition to a more diversified research funding portfolio – be it philanthropy, industry partnerships or different types of federal or other public support.
Collaborate, Innovate, Discover
OHSU faculty members are highly innovative and productive researchers. Our powerful pioneering spirit drives discovery. At the same time, we are known for our collegiality and collaborative spirit. At OHSU, two minds are better than one.
Today, we are building on our strengths. Through planning, collaboration and innovative partnerships, we are positioning ourselves to succeed in this golden era of biomedicine.
- Roadmap Results: 2014 Collaboration Advancement Awards
- Roadmap Results: IRB process improvement
- Roadmap Results: Raising the profile of OHSU research
- Roadmap Results: A vision for areas of research distinction
- Roadmap Results: Building a home for computational biology at OHSU
- Latest updates (OHSU login required)