Medical Student Advising
Welcome to the OHSU School of Medicine Careers in Medicine Faculty Advising Program and Colleges Program
Careers in Medicine Faculty Advising Program
Faculty Advising at Oregon Health & Science School of Medicine is a continuity system of career advising for medical students throughout all four years of their medical education. In the first two years, students will be assigned to Colleges, based on the student’s stated future practice setting interest.
Students will choose Residency Advisors in their third year to assist with residency selection, applications and Match Day.
An Effective Advisor
- Is an active listener
- Provides sustained, accessible support
- Helps personalize the medical school experience
- Serves as an information resource
- Provides a safe place for students to share concerns
- Encourages self-reflection and self-knowledge
- Identifies students in need or crisis
- Nurtures professional identity and development
- Facilitates career discernment and decision-making