Radiation Oncology Residency Program
OHSU: 125 Years of Connection
Radiation Oncology Residency Program Details
We offer a 4-year residency in Radiation Medicine with guidelines established by the ACGME Radiation Oncology section.
- ACGME Accreditation Status
- General Information
- Interested Applicants
- Submitting an Application
- The Interview Process
- Research Focus
- Grades and Board Scores
- Licensing Requirements
- Government Regulations
- Applying for a Residency Position
- Living in Portland
- Links of Interest
The OHSU Radiation Medicine Residency Training program is approved for 6 total resident trainees, effective March 8, 2009. Under the Next Accreditation System (NAS), the next regularly scheduled Self-Study visit is March 1, 2018.
Residents must have successfully completed a one-year internship prior to initiating the 4-year residency. Positions are offered through the National Resident Matching Program.
All applicants must be eligible for medical licensure in the State of Oregon. Graduates from foreign medical schools should contact the OHSU GME Office to ensure that eligibility requirements have been met.
All applications will be reviewed by a committee and must be submitted through the Electronic Residency Application Service (ERAS).
Foreign graduates can submit an application with the Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates.
Approximately 15-20 applicants are selected for personal interviews, per residency slot available. Interviews will be conducted by staff physicians, current residents and select radiation medicine staff, during the months of November and December. Successful candidates have often spent a clinical rotation in our department during their 3rd or 4th year as a medical student.
Our program has a broad and flexible research focus that includes health services and outcomes-based research, clinical and translational research, as well as basic science research opportunities within the greater OHSU community. Our goal is to provide an opportunity to garner a meaningful research experience during the critical years of postgraduate residency training.
Residents are encouraged to concurrently enroll into the Human Investigations Program (HIP), a training component within the institutional CTSA, also known as the Oregon Clinical and Translational Research Institute. One can enroll in the Maters of Clinical Research Track or the Certificate Track. The residency is structured so concurrent participating in research activities are conducted such that all ACGME and ABR requirements are met. The length of the training program is not altered with research endeavors.
Use no minimum board scores or grades in the selection process. Required Training: Must have graduated from an approved school of medicine or osteopathy with post internship training. Must have successfully completed an internship during your PGY-1 years (time between medical school and the residency program). We currently do not offer a PGY-1 internship. We do not require a specific clinical internship, other than a ACGME-approved program. The application process is a separate process from our residency program.
Applicants must successfully complete all United States Medical Licensing Examination requirements. Foreign medical graduates must complete all Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG) requirements. There is no minimum ECFME Score.
- US Medical Licensing Examination requirements
- Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG) requirements
Applicants must be US citizen's or hold a valid US immigration VISA, which permits employment in the United States. The department of radiation medicine does not provide sponsorship for any type of immigration VISA.
Visit the ERAS website to begin the application process. You'll need the items listed below to complete the process.
- A brief curriculum vitae including any publications.
- A personal statement regarding your goals.
- A letter of recommendation from the Dean of your medical school.
- Three personal letters of recommendation of your choice.
- A medical school transcript.
- Shushan Rana has been awarded a travel grant to attend the Computational Genomics Workshop
- Timur Mitin appointed as representative to NCI Committee Rectal-Anal Task Force
Thomas visiting NW Feinberg Medical School presenting & interfacing
- Neuroinflammatory and cognitive consequences of combined
radiation and immunotherapy in a novel preclinical model[Oncotarget]
- Drs. Timur Mitin &Charles Thomas, Jr., participated in multiple sessions at annual RUSSCO
- Garth Tormoen (PGY2) presented on life as a physician-scientist in the OHSU residency training program @ the 2016 OHSU Medical Scientist Training Program Annual Retreat held at McMenamins Edgefield in Troutdale, OR
- Drs. Anand, Rana, and Tsikitis, have been awarded a Medical Research Foundation grant
- Radiation Medicine Department highlights from ASTRO
- Three questions for Reid Thompson
- Drs. Rana & Kalpathy-Cramer reviewed collaboration
between OHSU & Kalpathy-Cramer @
the MGH Martinos Center
- Astro 2016 Boston part 1
A. Balboni, MD of Radiation Oncology at Harvard Cancer Center, hosted by
- Walker, presented a novel prospective clinical trial of checkpoint inhibition & SBRT for HCC
- Randomized Trials for Patients with Operable Stage 1
Non-small Cell Lung Cancer
- 10th Annual Fall M1-M2 Radiation Medicine Open House
- Dr. Walker selected to attend the AACR/ASCO Educational Workshop in Vail, Colorado
- Dr. CR Thomas, Jr. re-visited college to introduce opportunities in the OHSU Radiation Medicine Program
Nabavizadeh, MD the 5th OHSU Radiation Medicine to receive ASCO Young
- Dr. Kristina Young has been selected to receive designation as a 2016 Scholar
- Dr. Timur Mitin with the assistance of Dr. Shushan Rana, has received a 2016-17 Research Seed Grant
- Dept faculty co-authors report highlighting gender differences in academic productivity within academic gastroenterology
- Drs. Bornstein, Mitin, &Thomas to serve as moderators &discussants for 2016 ASTRO meeting
- OHSU takes part in OMA annual meeting
- Portland oncologist named OMA's Doctor-Citizen of the Year
- Drs. Sophia Bornstein and Jerry Jaboin have joined the attending physician panel
- Dr. Thomas co-authors editorial "An Inflection Point in the Evolution of Oncologic Emergency Medicine"
- Dr. CR Thomas served as an external reviewer at the University of Arizona COM & Arizona Cancer Center located in Tucson
- State of Women in Academic Medicine: Pipeline & Pathways to Leadership
- Dr. CR Thomas was a visiting faculty at UCLA Department of Radiation Oncology
- The Global Burden of Esophageal Cancer: A Disability-Adjusted Life-Year Approach (pdf)
- Challenging Scenarios for Junior Faculty: Case Presentations
- Stress and Burnout Among Residency Program Directors in United States Radiation Oncology Programs
- R21 funded grant leads to publication on computer-assisted assessment of patient-related toxicity
- Dr. CR Thomas is co-author of JNCI article describing novel dose-escalation strategy for SBRT
- 2016 Methods in Clinical Research Workshop for Minority Physicians
- National Institutes of Health Addresses the Science of Diversity
- Black/African American Student Enrollment School of Medicine Oregon Health & Science University
- Recommended Reading Student National Medical Association Oregon Health & Science University Chapter September, 2015
- Opportunities for OHSU Medical Student Involvement in Identification/Mentoring/Recruitment of Black and African American Students Who Aspire to Become Physicians
- Radiation Medicine Faculty is Co-editor of a Major New Textbook on Cancer Emergencies
- ASTRO Grant Review Mentorship Program
- Dimensions of Diversity and Perception of Having Learned From Individuals From Different Backgrounds: The Particular Importance of Racial Diversity
- Dept faculty is co-author of published ACR guidelines for resectable gastric cancer
- Two OHSU departments are selected to host and sponsor a Fellowship recipient for 2015-2016
- Department faculty co-authors phase 2 intergroup trial of postoperative combined modality therapy for biliary tract and gallbladder cancer
- Lymph Node Harvest During Esophagectomy Is Not Influenced by Use of Neoadjuvant Therapy or Clinical Disease Stage. (pubmed)
- Pregnancy and Parenthood in Radiation Oncology (PROVES), Views and Experiences Survey
- Dr. Thomas was a guest faculty for the spring 2015 meeting of the Chicago Radiological Society
- Radiation Medicine Department Receives two Certificates of Accreditation
- OHSU Recipients of RSNA Research Grants
- Dr. Nabavizadeh is selected to attend the FLIMS17 Methods in Clinical Cancer Research workshop
- Kristina Young, MD, PhD Recipient of the ASCO Young Investigator Award
- Ashlee Byrd presented on Pulmonary Nodules on CT
- SCAROP (Society of Chairs of Academic Radiation Oncology Programs) 2015. (Photo)
- Wendy McGinnis has been awarded a Howard Hughes Medical Institute Medical Research Fellowship
- Supporting the Academic Mission & Mentorship: Nature or Nurture?
- A Pilot Trial of Cisplatin/Etoposide/Radiotherapy Followed by Consolidation Docetaxel and the Combination of Bevacizumab
- Kim E, Thomas CR Jr.: Conditional survival of malignant thymoma using national population-based Surveillance Epidemiology and End Results (SEER) registry (1973-2011)
- Anal Cancer: Current Standards in Care and Recent Changes in Practice
- Rad Onc Physician-Scientist Success Primer, ASTRO News Winter 2015
- OHSU Medical Physics Residency Program received CAMPEP Accreditation
- Dr. CR Thomas Presents the 43rd Annual Buschke Memorial Lecture
- Stephanie M. Perkins, MD presents on Late Effects of Therapy in Survivors of Childhood Malignancies
- Max Diehn, MD, PhD, Delivers Keynote Address
- Leah Backhus, MD, MPH, FACS Visiting Scholar
- Diversity in the Physician Workforce: Facts & Figures 2014
- First Intraoperative Electron Beam Radiotherapy Procedure in Oregon
- ACR Appropriateness Criteria® Rectal Cancer: Metastatic Disease at Presentation
- Darrion L. Mitchell, MD, PhD was a visiting scientist at OHSU in Sept. 2014
- The New Diversity in Medical Education
- Diversity Dynamics — Challenges to a Representative U.S. Medical Workforce
- Dr. Thomas was a visiting faculty at the University of British Columbia/British Columbia Cancer Agency in October 2014.
- Gender Differences in Time Spent on Parenting and Domestic Responsibilities by High-Achieving Young Physician-Researchers
- Career Development: Strategy Primer to Address Young Investigator Skill Set Gaps for Clinical Research
- Dr. Josh Walker is Co-PI on Knight Pilot Grant
- Keystone Symposia Diversity in Life Science Programs
- The 8th Annual Fall Open House for OHSU 1st and 2nd Year Medical Students
- ASTRO 2014 OHSU Radiation Medicine Presentations
- Diversity by Race, Hispanic Ethnicity, and Sex of the United States Medical Oncology Physician Workforce Over the Past Quarter Century
- Journal of the Student National Medical Association
- Derald Wing Sue, Ph.D. Presentation on Microaggressions
- Consequences of anorectal cancer atlas implementation in the cooperative group setting
- Improving Diversity, Inclusion, and Representation in Radiology and Radiation Oncology
- New OHSU Minority Investigator Recruitment and Retention Initiative Offers Opportunities for OHSU Faculty Mentors
- Richard Tapia Center for Excellence & Equity
- Richard Tapia has prepared generations of minority students for academic jobs, but he says they still are not welcome.
- Charting Our Future Together: Setting an Agenda for the NHLBI
- Radiation Medicine Student Interest Group at Graduation 2014
- Association of Black Radiation Oncologists, Spring 2014 Newsletter
- Multiple Oral Presentations from the OHSU Radiation Medicine Team Selected for the 2014 Reseach Week (May 5-9, 2014)
- Gender Differences in Publication Productivity, Academic Position, Career Duration, and Funding Among U.S. Academic Radiation Oncology Faculty
- 2014 Radiation Oncology Study Section of the Radiological Society of North America (photo)
- Wendy McGinnis and Derek Zachman are recipients of grants from research awards from the RSNA Research & Education Foundation's Research Medical Student Grant Review Panel
- Defining the Role of Adjuvant Therapy: Cholangiocarcinoma and Gall Bladder Cancer [View Pubmed Abstract]
- Wendy McGinnisa has been awarded an OSLER TL1 fellowship
- New methodology, tools, and protocolized analysis are needed to advance individualized treatment paradigms in esophageal cancer
- 56th Annual Meeting of ASTRO 2014 OHSU Radiation Medicine Submissions
- Dr. Thomas invited to serve on the Lower GI Expert Panel for the AJCC Cancer Staging System
- Joint OSU/OHSU Graduate Program in Medical Physics has received CAMPEP re-accreditation thru 2015
- With the right mix of persistence and support structures, scholars from minority groups can thrive as they pursue their PhDs
- President Obama Honors Outstanding Early-Career Scientists
- Minority Faculty Development Programs and Underrepresented Minority Faculty Representation at US Medical Schools
- Dr. CR Thomas co-authored two presentations at the 6th AACR Conference
- Dr. Charles Thomas, represented at the annual Medical Specialty Speed Dating event in November 2013
- "Relationship Between Racial & Ethnic Diversity in a Class & Students' Perception of Having Learned from Others", Analysis In-Brief, AAMC
- Dr. Thomas has been selected to serve on the editorial board of Surgical Oncology
- Jay Dorsey was a visiting faculty to the OHSU Department of Radiation Medicine in November 2013
- C-M "Charlie" Ma presented on Pulsed Low-dose Rate Radiation Therapy for Recurrent Cancers
- Diversity Data Snapshots DDS
- SCAROP survey on radiation oncology department chair burnout | Pubmed
- 1st department chair burnout survey performed for radiation oncology
- 7th Annual Rubinstein Radiation Medicine Research Retreat
- Dr. Keith Wailoo was the guest presenter for the 21st Harvey Baker Memorial Lectureship
- Department faculty co-author a novel web-based outcome prediction tool for esophageal cancer
- 2013 OHSU Diversity Annual Report
- Department chair serves on faculty for the Methods in Clinical Research Workshop for Minority Physicians
- Why Are There Still So Few Women in Science?
- 2013 Annual Medical Scientist Training Program/MD-PhD Retreat
- 2013 Association of Black Radiation Oncologists Reception
- OHSU Radiation Medicine were presenter and co-presenters at the 55th Annual ASTRO meeting
- OHSU Radiation Medicine team co-authors a record 24 presentations for the 55th Annual Meeting of the American Society of Radiation Oncology.
- Biliary Tract and Gallbladder Cancer: A Multidisciplinary Approach (Springer)
- Dr. Thomas co-presented at the 4th International Thymic Malignancy Interest Group Annual Meeting
- Mr. Kyle Gallagher is the inaugural ARCS Radiation Medicine Scholar for 2013
- Work-Life Balance Acad Med_Physician Resaerchers and Mentors
- Department chair co-authors article on radiology workforce diversity
- Reshma Jagsi, MD, DPhil was a Visiting Faculty Scholar at OHSU in July 2013
- Department faculty member represented at the 15th Joint ECCO-AACR-EORTC-ESMO Workshop
- OHSU Summer Equity Program Mentor & Laboratory Staff Handbook
- Grant Application Numbers Continue to Climb
- Rubinstein Research Scholars describe their work to members of the Radiation Medicine Advocacy Group
- Department Report: The New Face of Radiation Oncology at OHSU
- Dr. CR Thomas, Jr. presented at the annual SCAROP meeting in Washington, DC
- OHSU Diversity Action Plan 2013: Creating a Community of Diversity and Inclusion
- OHSU faculty co-authors editorial on RTOG-0529
- Kunle Odunsi visited OHSU and gave a research seminar on Friday, April 5th, 2013
- 100% NRMP match rate for Radiation Medicine Student Interest Group students in 2013
- Women in Science: The gender gap and how to close it
- 5 OHSU Medical Students Designated Rubinstein Radiation Medicine Research Scholars for 2013
- 18 original abstracts submitted for 55th Annual ASTRO Meeting
- AAMC Diversity Facts And Figures Updated For 2012
- OHSU Radiation Medicine Visiting Faculty Lectures
- Diversity in Medical Education: Facts & Figures 2012
- Dr. Sheryl Heron presented on January 23rd, 2013
- Dr. Thomas photo.
- Dr. Charles Thomas selected to return as a participating faculty for the 2013 ASCO/AACR Methods in Clinical Cancer Research Workshop
- Department faculty selected by the ASTRO Board of Directors to serve on the grant award panel
- Department chair has been named chair of the RSNA Radiation Oncology Study Section
- Summer 2013 OHSU Equity Research program & CURE (Continuing Umbrella of Research Experience) program
- AAMC Reporter: News about the Nations Medical Schools, November 2012
- First-Time Enrollees to U.S. Medical Schools, 2005-2012
- Addressing Issues of Diversity and Disparities in Research at OHSU
- Xavier University Leads the Nation with the Most African-American STEM and Medical Graduates
- Dr. CR Thomas served as the panel chair for educational exhibits at the 2012 RSNA meeting
- Drs. Charles Thomas & Dwight Heron both served as co-moderators at the 2012 RSNA meeting
- Department chair is appointed to the ASCO Conquer Cancer Foundation's Diversity Subcommittee
- Mentoring Translational Science Investigators
- Dr. Thomas is co-author of the long-term outcome analysis of RTOG 98-11 abstract
- Dr. Thomas will serve as an invited faculty for the FLIMS Workshop in Switzerland
- Diversity in Medical Education: Facts & Figures 2012
- Dr. Thomas appointed to serve on the Radiation Oncology & Radiobiology Subcommittee
- Department faculty is sr. author of ACR's Quality Research in Radiation Oncology analysis of gastric cancer
- Association of Underrepresented Minority Fellows
- Fall 2012 OHSU School of Medicine MD-PhD Retreat