Michael Freeman, MedDr, PhD, MPH
Dr. Michael Freeman is a doctor of medicine and an epidemiologist specializing forensic medicine and forensic epidemiology. He serves as Affiliate Professor of Epidemiology and Psychiatry at Oregon Health and Science University School of Medicine, Departments of Public Health and Preventive Medicine and Psychiatry. Dr. Freeman is also an Adjunct Professor of Forensic Medicine at the Institute of Forensic Medicine, Faculty of Health Sciences, University of Aarhus, Denmark. He holds a doctor of medicine degree from Umeå University in Umeå, Sweden, and a Ph.D. in public health with a focus in epidemiology from Oregon State University, as well as a Masters in Public Health (MPH) degree, also from OSU.
Dr. Freeman has more than 150 published scientific papers, books, and book chapters on forensic applications of epidemiology and the scientific tenets of causation, crash-related injuries and death, chronic pain mechanisms, regenerative joint therapy utilizing stem cell therapy, and a variety of other areas of interest. He has served in US, Canadian, European and Australian courts as an expert in a variety of fields including injury and death litigation, product liability, toxic tort litigation, tobacco litigation, medical negligence, as well as both prosecution and defense expert in a number of homicide cases.
Major Areas of research
Forensic medicine, forensic epidemiology, traffic crash-related injury and death, injury biomechanics and causation, adult autologous stem cell therapy, genocide.
Forensic Medicine and Epidemiology
Experience and Interests
Dr. Freeman works in the field of Forensic Epidemiology, and consults on criminal and civil cases in State and Federal venues across the United States and abroad.
Selected Peer-reviewed Journal Articles (past 5 years)
- Freeman MD, Eriksson A, Leith W. Head and neck injury patterns in fatal falls: epidemiologic and biomechanical considerations. J Forensic Legal Med 2013:http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jflm.2013.08.005
- Koehler S, Freeman MD. Forensic epidemiology; a methodology for investigating and quantifying specific causation. Forens Sci Med Path (in press)
- Colville-Ebeling B, Freeman MD, Banner J, Lynnerup N. Autopsy practice in forensic pathology – evidence-based or experience-based? A review of autopsies performed in a case of multiple, simultaneous deaths. J Forensic Legal Med (in press)
- Freeman MD, Eriksson A, Leith W. Injury pattern as an indication of seat belt failure in ejected vehicle occupants J Forens Sci (in press)
- Dobbertin KM, Freeman MD, Lambert WE, Lasarev MR, Kohles SS. The relationship between vehicle roof crush and head, neck and spine injury in rollover crashes. Accid Anal Prev. 2013 Apr 25;58C:46-52. doi: 10.1016/j.aap.2013.04.020. [Epub ahead of print]
- Centeno CJ, Freeman MD. Percutaneous injection of autologous, culture-expanded mesenchymal stem cells into carpo-metacarpal hand joints: A case series with an untreated comparison group. Wien Med Wochenschr 2013:DOI 10.1007/s10354-013-0222-4
- Centeno CJ, Schultz JR, Cheever M, Freeman M, Faulkner S, Robinson S. A Case Series of Percutaneous Treatment of Non-Union Fractures with Autologous, Culture Expanded, Bone Marrow Derived, Mesenchymal Stem Cells and Platelet Lysate. J Bioengineer & Biomedical Sci S2:007 doi:10.4172/2155- 9538.S2-007
- Woodham M, Woodham A, Skeate JG, Freeman MD. Long-Term Lumbar Multifidus Muscle Atrophy Changes Documented With Magnetic Resonance Imaging; A Case Series. J Radiol Case Rep (in press)
- Wendlova J, Freeman MD. The Slovak Regression Model of Fall-Related Femoral Neck Fracture Risk. Journal of Forensic Biomechanics Vol. 4 (2013), Article ID 235595, 5 pages doi:10.4303/jfb/235595
- Freeman MD, Dobbertin K, Kohles SS, Uhrenholt L, Eriksson A. Serious head and neck injury as a predictor of occupant position in fatal rollover crashes. Forensic Sci Int 2012;222:228–33.
- Freeman MD, Kohles SS. An examination of the threshold criteria for the evaluation of specific causation of mesothelioma following a history of significant exposure to chrysotile asbestos-containing brake dust, Int J Occ Env Hlth 2012;18(4):329-36.
- Freeman MD, Fuerst M. Does the FDA have regulatory authority over adult autologous stem cell therapies? FDCA 21 CFR 1271 and the Emperor's New Clothes. J Transl Med. 2012 Mar 26;10(1):60.
- Freeman MD, Everson T, Kohles SS. Forensic epidemiologic and biomechanical analysis of a pelvic cavity blowout injury associated with ejection from a personal watercraft (jet-ski). J Forens Sci 2012 doi: 10.1111/j.1556-4029.2012.02250.x
- Freeman MD, Kohles SS. Plasma levels of polychlorinated biphenyls, non-Hodgkin lymphoma, and causation. J Environ Public Health 2012;2012:258981. doi: 10.1155/2012/258981. Review.
- Centeno CJ, Fuerst M, Faulkner SJ, Freeman MD. Is cosmetic platelet-rich plasma a drug to be regulated by the Food and Drug Administration? J Cosm Derm 2011;10:171–3.
- Centeno CJ, Schultz JR, Cheever M, Freeman M, Faulkner S, Robinson S, Hanson R. Safety and Complications Reporting Update on the Re-Implantation of Culture-Expanded Mesenchymal Stem Cells Using Autologous Platelet Lysate Technique. Cur Stem Cell Res & Ther 2011;6(4):XX
- Freeman MD, Kohles SS. Application of the Hill Criteria to the Causal Association of Post-Traumatic Headache and Assault. Egypt J Forensic Sci 2011;1:35-40.
- Freeman MD, Kohles SS. Application of the Bradford-Hill Criteria for Assessing Specific Causation in Post-Traumatic Headache. Brain Inj Prof 2011;8(1):26-8.
- Freeman MD, Kohles SS. An Evaluation of Applied Biomechanics as an adjunct to systematic specific causation in forensic medicine. Wien Med Wochenschr 2011;161:1-11.
- Uhrenholt L, Freeman MD, Jurik AG, Jensen LJ, Gregersen M, Boel LW, Kohles SS, Thomsen AH. Esophageal injury in fatal rear-impact collisions. Forensic Sci Int 2010 Oct 5. [Epub ahead of print] PubMed PMID: 20932695.
- Freeman MD. A Bayesian assessment of unexplained fracture as a forensic test of child abuse; quantification of uncertainty using the Error Odds approach. Acta Medicinae Legalis et Socialis 2010:179-84.
- Nystrom NA, Champagne LP, Freeman MD, Blix E. Surgical fasciectomy of the trapezius muscle combined with neurolysis of the spinal accessory nerve; results and long-term follow-up in 30 consecutive cases of refractory chronic whiplash syndrome. J Brachial Plexus and Peripheral Nerve Injury 2010:5;7.
- Centeno CJ, Schultz J, Cheever M, Robinson B, Freeman MD, Marasco W. Safety of autologous MSC transplantation: an in vivo MRI study of transplanted MSCs culture-expanded using a novel, platelet-lysate technique. Cur Stem Cell Res & Ther 2010;5:81-93.
- Dagenais S, Gay RE, Tricco A, Mayer, JM, Freeman MD. North American Spine Society Contemporary Concepts in Spine Care: Spinal Manipulation Therapy for Acute Low Back Pain Spine J 2010 Oct;10(10):918-40.
- Uhrenholt L, Schumacher B, Freeman MD. Road traffic fatalities in Aarhus Police District in 2000-2004 - medical investigations and legal consequences. Ugeskr Laeger. 2010 Sep 27;172(39):2683-2687. Danish
- Freeman MD, Woodham M, Woodham A. The role of the lumbar multifidus in chronic low back pain; a review. PM R 2010 Feb;2(2):142-6.
- Freeman MD, Centeno CJ, Kohles SS. A systematic approach to clinical determinations of causation in symptomatic spinal disc injury following motor vehicle crash trauma. PM R 2009;1(10):951-6.
- Freeman MD, Rosa S, Harshfield D, Smith F, Bennett R, Centeno CJ, Kornel E, Nystrom A, Heffez D, Kohles SS. A case-control study of cerebellar tonsillar ectopia and head/neck (whiplash) trauma. Brain Injury 2010;24(7-8):988-94.
- Freeman MD, Kohles SS. Applications and limitation of forensic biomechanics; a Bayesian perspective. J Forensic Legal Med 2010;17:67-77.
- Freeman MD, Nystrom A, Centeno C, Hand M. Chronic whiplash and central sensitization; do a trigger points play an important role in pain modulation? J Brachial Plex Peripher Nerve Inj 2009 Apr 23;4:2.
- Freeman MD, Hand ML, Rossignol AM. Applied Forensic Epidemiology: A Bayesian evaluation of forensic evidence in a vehicular homicide investigation. J Forensic Legal Med 2009 Feb;16(2):83-92. Epub 2008 Oct 21
- Centeno CJ, Busse D, Kisiday J, Keohan C, Freeman M, Karli D Regeneration of meniscus cartilage in a knee treated with percutaneously implanted autologous mesenchymal stem cells. Med Hypothese. 2008 Dec;71(6):900-8.Centeno CJ, Schultz J, Freeman M. Sclerotherapy of Baker's cyst with imaging confirmation of resolution. Pain Physician 2008 Mar-Apr;11(2):257-61.Centeno CJ, Busse D, Kisiday J, Keohan C, Freeman M, Karli D. Increased knee cartilage volume in degenerative joint disease using percutaneously implanted, autologous mesenchymal stem cells. Pain Physician 2008 May;11(3):343-53.
- Freeman MD, Centeno CJ. A fatal case of secondary gain; a cautionary tale. Amer J Case Reports 2008;9:97-103.