Elena Andresen, PhD
BA (1977) University of Washington, Interdisciplinary (Spanish/History)
MA (1979) University of Washington, History
PhD (1991) University of Washington, Epidemiology
Oregon Health & Science University, Portland: 7/2011-present
Chief, Disability & Health Research Group, Institute on Development & Disability, School of Medicine.
Director, Oregon Office on Disability & Health
- University of Western Australia, Perth: 1989. Lecturer; epidemiology.
- University of Rochester School of Medicine: 1991-1996. Asst. Professor, Dept. Community & Preventive Medicine.
- Saint Louis University School of Public Health:1996-2004. Assoc. to Professor (tenured 1999). Division Director, Epidemiology.
- Rehabilitation Outcomes Research Center, VAMC: 2004-2007. Research Health Scientist, Gainesville Florida.
- University of Florida College of Public Health & Health Professions, Department of Epidemiology & Biostatistics: 2004 – 7-2011. Professor & Founding Chair (7/2006-3/2010). Professor, Department of Epidemiology, Colleges of Medicine; and Public Health & Health Professions (3/2010-7/2011).
- National University of Singapore: 9/2011-10/2011. Visiting Professor; Saw Swee Hock School of Public Health.
Aging, disability across the lifespan, health related quality of life methods and measures, and rehabilitation outcomes.
- Horner-Johnson W, Krahn G, Andresen EM, Hall T. Developing summary scores of health-related quality of life for a population-based survey. Public Health Rep 2009; 124(1): 103-110.
- Boslaugh SE, Andresen EM, Recktenwald A, Gillespie K. Evidence for a potential bias in the Health & Activity Limitation Index as a health preference measure for persons with disability. Disability Health J 2009; 2(1): 20-26.
- Miller DK, Malmstrom TK, Andresen EM, et al. Development & validation of a short portable sarcopenia measure in the AAH Project. J Gerontol: MS 2009; 64(3): 388-394.
- DeFries (Bouldin) EL, McGuire LC, Andresen EM, et al. Caregivers of older adults with cognitive impairment. Prev Chron Dis 2009; 6(2):
- Winter KH, Bouldin ED, Andresen EM. Lack of choice in caregiving increases the carer’s risk of stress: findings from the North Carolina BRFSS. Prev Chronic Dis 2010; 7(2):
- McGuire LC, Bouldin EL, Andresen EM, Anderson LA. Examining modifiable health behaviors, body weight, & use of preventive services among caregivers & non-caregivers aged 65 years & older, Hawaii, Kansas, & Washington using BRFSS, 2007. J Nutr Health Aging 2010; 14(5): 373-379.
- Schootman M, Andresen EM, Wolinsky FD, et al. Adverse housing & neighborhood conditions, & inflammatory markers among middle-aged African Americans. J Urban Health 2010; 87: 199-210.
- Schootman M, Andresen EM, Wolinsky FD, et al. Neighborhood conditions, diabetes, & risk of lower-body functional limitations among middle-aged African Americans: A cohort study. BMC Public Health 2010;10: 283
- Brumback BA, Bouldin ED, Zheng HW, Cannell BD, Andresen EM. Testing & estimating model-adjusted effect-measure modification using marginal structural models & complex survey data. Am J Epidemiol 2010; 172(9): 1085-1091.
- Horner-Johnson W, Suzuki R, Krahn G, Andresen EM, Drum C. The structure of health-related quality of life in US populations: people with & without functional limitations. Qual Life Res 2010; 19: 977-984.
- Malmstrom T, Andresen EM, Wolinsky FD, et al. Predictors & correlates of urinary & fecal incontinence in middle-aged African Americans. J Am Geriatr Soc 2010; 58(10):1941-1945.
- Hayes J, Wakefield B, Andresen EM, et al. Identification of domains & measures for assessment battery to examine well‐being of spouses of OIF/OEF veterans with posttraumatic stress disorder J Rehabil Res Devel 2010 47(9):825-840.
- Cannell MB, Brumback BA, Bouldin ED, Hess J, Wood DL, Sloyer PJ, Reiss JG, Andresen EM. Age group differences in health care access for people with disabilities: Are young adults at increased risk? Results from the 2007 Florida Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System. J Adolesc Health 2011; 49(2): 219-221.
- Kusano C, Bouldin ED, Anderson LA, McGuire LC, Salvail FR, Simmons KW, Andresen EM. Adult informal caregivers reporting financial burden in Hawaii, Kansas, & Washington: Results from the 2007 BRFSS. Dis Health J 2011; 4(4): 229-237.
- Buckley DI, Davis MM, Andresen EM. Does a standard measure of physical disability correlate with clinician perception of impairment related to cancer screening? Cancer 2012; 118(5):1345-1352.
- López EDS, Vasudevan V, Egensteiner E, Lanzone M, Andresen E, Hannold L, Graff S. Florida mammographer disability training vs needs. Radiol Technol 2012; 83(4):337-348.
- Hall AG, Bouldin ED, Andresen EM, Ali AK. Maintaining employment among caregivers of individuals on a Medicaid waitlist for services. J Dis Policy Studies 2012: 23(2):121-128.
- Thompson WW, Zack MM, Krahn G, Andresen EM, Barile J. Health-related quality of life among older adults with & without functional limitations. Am J Public Health 2012; 102(3): 496-502.
- Zheng HW, Brumback BA, Lu X, Bouldin ED, Cannell MB, Andresen EM. Doubly robust testing & estimation of model-adjusted effect-measure modification with complex survey data. Stat Med 2012: in press.
- Schootman M, Andresen EM, Wolinsky FD, Miller JP, Miller DK. Effect of street connectivity on incidence of lower-body functional limitations among middle-aged African Americans. Ann Epidemiol 2012: in press.
- Bouldin ED, Andresen EM, Dunton NE, Simon M, Waters TM, Liu M, Daniels MJ, Mion LC, Shorr RI. Falls among hospitalized patients in the US: a national prevalence study. J Patient Safety 2012: in press.