Barbara Campbell, PhD
Adjunct Associate Professor
Department of Public Health and Preventive Medicine
Oregon Health & Science University
1942 NW Kearney St. #24
Portland, Oregon 97209
E-mail Dr. Barbara Campbell
BA (1976) Saint John Fisher College
MA (1978) University of New Mexico
PHD (1981) University of New Mexico
Clinical Psychology Internship (1980-81), Portland VA Medical Center
Addictions Treatment , Research to Practice - Training & Treatment Fidelity, Smoking Cessation, Co-Occurring Mental Health and Substance Use Disorders
Experience and Interests
Dr. Campbell specializes in addictions treatment research, focusing on interventions that increase treatment engagement/retention and smoking cessation for those with other, co-occurring substance abuse disorders. She also studies factors that facilitate the transfer of empirically tested treatments into clinical practice. She is a co-investigator within the Western States Node of the National Institute on Drug Abuse Clinical Trials Network. Dr. Campbell is a licensed psychologist and practicing clinician in Portland. She provides mental health and substance abuse treatment services to individuals and couples, as well as consultation and clinical training.
- Campbell, B.K., Guydish, J. Le, T., Wells, E.A. & McCarty, D. (in press). The relationship of therapeutic alliance and treatmentdelivery fidelity with treatment retention in a multisite trial of twelve=step facilitation. Psychology of Addictive Behaviors.
- Peavy, M.M., Guydish, J., Manuel, J.K., Cambell, B.K., Lisha, N., Le, T., Delucchi, K. & Garrett, S. (2014). Treatment adherence ratings among therapists, supervisors, study-related raters and external raters in a clinical trial of 12-Step facilitation for stimulant users. Journal of Substance Abuse Treatment, 47(c), 222-228.
- Guydish, J., Campbell, B. K.,Manuel, J. K., Delucchi, K., Le, T.Peavy, K. M.McCarty, D. (2014). Does Treatment Fidelity Predict Client Outcomes in 12-Step Facilitation for Stimulant Abuse? Drug and Alcohol Dependence,134, 330-336.
- Campbell, B. K., Buti, A.,Fussell, H.E., Srikanth, P., McCarty, D. & Guydish, J.R. (2013). Therapist predictors of treatment delivery fidelity in a community-based trial of 12-step facilitation. American Journal of Drug Alcohol Abuse, 39, 304-311
- Campbell B.K., Manuel J. K., Manser, S. T., Peavy K. M., Stelmokas, J., McCarty, D., Guydish, J. R. (2013). Assessing fidelity of treatment delivery in group and individual 12-step facilitation. Journal of Substance Abuse Treatment, 44,169-176.
- Campbell, B.K., Manuel., J.K., Turcotte Manser, S., Peavy, , K.M., Stelmokas, J., McCarty, D. & Guydish, J. (in press). Assessing Fidelity of Treatment Delivery in Group and Individual 12-Step Facilitation. Journal of Substance Abuse Treatment.
- Campbell, B. K. (2011). Fidelity in public health clinical trials: Considering provider-participant relationship factors in community treatment settings. Journal of Public Health Dentistry, 71, S64-S65.
- Booth, R.E., Campbell, B. K., Mikulich-Gilbertson, S. K., Tillotson, C. Choi, D., Robinson, J. et al. (2011). Reducing HIV-related risk behaviors among injection drug users in residential detoxification. AIDS and Behavior, 15, 1, 30-44.
- Campbell, B.K., Tillotson, C., Choi, D., Bryant, K., DiCenzo, J., Provost, S.E., Zammarelli, L., Booth, R., & McCarty, D. (2010) Predicting outpatient treatment entry following detoxification for injection drug use: The impact of patient and program factors. Journal of Substance Abuse Treatment, 38, (4), Suppl 1, S87-S96.
- Campbell, B.K., Fuller, B., Lee, E.S., Woelfel, T., Jenkins, L., Robinson, J., Booth, R., & McCarty, D. (2009). Facilitating outpatient treatment entry following detoxification for injection drug use: A multi-site test of three interventions. Psychology of Addictive Behaviors, 23, 260 – 270.
- McCarty, D., Kunkel, L. & Campbell, B., (2008). Confidentiality. In G. Fisher & N. Roget (editors). Encyclopedia of Substance Abuse Prevention, Treatment, and Recovery. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications.
- Baer, J., Ball, S., Campbell, B., Miele, G., Schoener, G. & Tracy, K. (2007).Training and Fidelity Monitoring of Behavioral Interventions in Multi-Site Addictions Research: A Review. Drug and Alcohol Dependence, 87, 107-118.
- Campbell, B. K., Krumenacker, J., & Stark, M. (1998). Smoking cessation for clients in chemical dependence treatment: A demonstration project. Journal of Substance Abuse Treatment, 15, 4, 313-318.
- Campbell, B. K., Wander, N., Stark, M., & Holbert, T. (1995). Treating cigarette smoking in drug-abusing clients. Journal of Substance Abuse Treatment, 12, 2, 89-94.