Barbara Campbell, PhD
Adjunct Associate Professor
Oregon/Hawaii Node - NIDA CTN
Oregon Health & Science University
1942 NW Kearney St. #24
Portland, Oregon 97209
E-mail Dr. Barbara Campbell
BA (1976) Saint John Fisher College
MA (1978) University of New Mexico
PHD (1981) University of New Mexico
Clinical Psychology Internship (1980-81), Portland VA Medical Center
Addictions Treatment , Research to Practice, Co-Occurring Mental Health and Substance Use Disorders
Experience and Interests
Dr. Campbell specializes in addictions treatment research, currently focusing on interventions that increase treatment engagement and retention. In addition, she studies factors that facilitate the transfer of empirically tested treatments into clinical practice. She is a co-investigator within the Oregon/Hawaii Node of the National Institute on Drug Abuse Clinical Trials Network. Dr. Campbell is also a licensed psychologist and practicing clinician in Portland. She provides mental health and substance abuse treatment services to individuals and couples, as well as consultation and clinical training.
- Campbell, B.K., Manuel., J.K., Turcotte Manser, S., Peavy, , K.M., Stelmokas, J., McCarty, D. & Guydish, J. (in press). Assessing Fidelity of Treatment Delivery in Group and Individual 12-Step Facilitation. Journal of Substance Abuse Treatment.
- Campbell, B. K. (2011). Fidelity in public health clinical trials: Considering provider-participant relationship factors in community treatment settings. Journal of Public Health Dentistry, 71, S64-S65.
- Booth, R.E., Campbell, B. K., Mikulich-Gilbertson, S. K., Tillotson, C. Choi, D., Robinson, J. et al. (2011). Reducing HIV-related risk behaviors among injection drug users in residential detoxification. AIDS and Behavior, 15, 1, 30-44.
- Booth, R., & McCarty, D. (2010). Predicting Outpatient Treatment Entry Following Detoxification for Injection Drug Use: The Impact of Patient and Program Factors. Journal of Substance Abuse Treatment, 38, 4, Suppl 1, S87-S96
- Campbell, B.K., Fuller, B., Lee, E.S., Woelfel, T., Jenkins, L., Robinson, J., Booth, R., & McCarty, D. (2009). Facilitating outpatient treatment entry following detoxification for injection drug use: A multi-site test of three interventions. Psychology of Addictive Behaviors, 23, 260 – 270.
- McCarty, D., Kunkel, L. & Campbell, B., (2008). Confidentiality. In G. Fisher & N. Roget (editors). Encyclopedia of Substance Abuse Prevention, Treatment, and Recovery. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications.
- Baer, J., Ball, S., Campbell, B., Miele, G., Schoener, G. & Tracy, K. (2007).Training and Fidelity Monitoring of Behavioral Interventions in Multi-Site Addictions Research: A Review. Drug and Alcohol Dependence, 87, 107-118.
- Campbell, B. K., Krumenacker, J., & Stark, M. (1998). Smoking cessation for clients in chemical dependence treatment: A demonstration project. Journal of Substance Abuse Treatment, 15, 4, 313-318.
- Campbell, B. K., Wander, N., Stark, M., & Holbert, T. (1995). Treating cigarette smoking in drug-abusing clients. Journal of Substance Abuse Treatment, 12, 2, 89-94.