Application and Selection
Applications will be accepted for the July residency cycle between September 1st and November 1st of the year prior to entry. Applications completed after November 1st may be considered on a space-available basis at the discretion of the residency director.
Applications for consideration should be submitted through the Electronic Residency Application Service (ERAS).
Applicants must be legally able to work in the US or eligible to obtain work authorization.
Note: we can only accept applicants who have completed at least one year of ACGME-accredited clinical residency training.
Applicants must also provide following via ERAS:
- Current Curriculum Vitae
- Personal Statement (one-page statement of career goals, specific areas of interest, an explanation of why this training site is being pursued, and which MPH Track is of interest)
- MPH Degree Transcripts or notification that an application has been submitted to the Epidemiology & Biostatistics track or the Health Management & Policy track of the Oregon MPH program(NOTE: A separate application is required to the MPH track of interest)
- Licensure Exam Score Reports (USMLE Steps 1, 2, & 3; FLEX; or NBME)
- Documentation of Oregon Medical License or Oregon License and Eligibility Questionnaire
(All applicants must possess an Oregon medical license, as required by the Oregon Board of Medical Examiners, at the time the training period begins. Licensure questions may be directed to the Oregon Board of Medical Examiners at 503-229-5770)
- Medical School Dean's Letter (must include dates)
- Letters of Recommendation from Residency Directors of all previous residency programs (must include dates, location, rotations completed, a competency-based performance evaluation and verification of completion)
- 2 Letters of Recommendation from physicians or medical scientists having particular knowledge of the applicant's ability or performance
All official academic transcripts, Dean's letters, licensure certification, and test score documents not processed through ERAS must be original documents received in sealed envelopes directly from academic institutions or accreditation bureaus.
For questions, please contact:
Preventive Medicine Residency Program Coordinator
Oregon Health & Science University
3181 SW Sam Jackson Park Road
Mail Code CB 669
Portland, OR 97239-3098
All applications are reviewed by core faculty and selected candidates will be invited for on-site interviews. Applicant assessments and decisions will be presented to the Preventive Medicine Residency Advisory Committee for a final decision regarding offering residency positions.
The Residency Advisory Committee recommends its selections to the Oregon Health & Science University director of post-graduate medical education who makes the final appointments to the program.