How To Apply
Department of Psychiatry Residency Training Program
The Department of Psychiatry welcomes you to apply for an intern position through the AAMC Electronic Residency Application System (ERAS). Only completed applications submitted through ERAS will be reviewed. It is not necessary to provide a return postcard or call to check the status of your application; the ERAS system will notify you as we download your information into our files. The residency program participates in the NRMP (National Residency Matching Program) and ERAS and applicant participation in these programs is required. No paper applications will be accepted.
Answers to Common Questions:
- We do not suggest for you to fill your fourth year of Med School with psychiatry electives. We prefer that you have a diverse and well rounded medical education before you specialize in psychiatry during your residency.
- Three letters of recommendation are required. They do not need to be from Psychiatrists or from a Program Director
- For DO students, COMLEX scores are accepted.
- Prior to beginning residency July 1, all incoming interns must have successfully passed USMLE Steps 1 and 2 (including Clinical Skills) or the DO equivalent.
International Medical Graduates:
International medical graduates are required to submit the above items in addition to:
- ECFMG certificate
- Documentation of US clinical experience
There is no medical school graduation date requirement. Applicants must be legally able to work in the U.S. or eligible to obtain work authorization. The GME office facilitates J-1 Clinical and H1B visas. International Medical Graduates should contact the ECFMG at (215) 386-5900 to obtain more information about the ERAS application process.
If you are selected for an interview, an invitation will be extended via the ERAS messaging system. The interview is an essential part of the application process and involves one full day in Portland. Interviews start promptly at 8am and include a lunch on campus and dinner off campus with some of our residents. We interview Mondays and Wednesdays early November through early January.
PGY-2 positions are filled on a rolling admissions basis. Applications are accepted only through the Electronic Residency Application Service (ERAS). The deadline for application and letters of reference is December 31st of the year prior to the starting year. Applications received after this will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
We appreciate your interest in our program and welcome your application.