Thank you for your interest in elective opportunities with the OHSU Department of Psychiatry.
Visiting student electives may be available in the Department of Psychiatry during the visiting student rotation blocks designated by the OHSU School of Medicine. Interested students should complete the OHSU School of Medicine Application Process and review the Visiting Student Elective Information below. Students who are accepted for a visiting rotation will be contacted via email once the application review process is complete.
Acceptance for a visiting student elective does not guarantee an interview for residency.
OHSU DIVERSITY PROGRAM FOR VISITING STUDENTS
The OHSU Diversity Program for Visiting Students provides support, stipend, and mentoring for qualified fourth-year U.S. medical students to participate in a Department of Psychiatry rotation.
WHO SHOULD APPLY
Competitive applicants in the Psychiatry Visiting Clerkship Diversity Program will have demonstrated experience or interest in diversity, health disparities, or serving underrepresented populations.The program is open to applicants who demonstrate the above, have expressed interest in applying to the OHSU Psychiatry Residency Program and grew up in a rural community or experienced significant disadvantage or adversity. Rotations are four weeks in duration and are available, space permitting, to full-time fourth-year students who are U.S. citizens and in good standing at LCME-accredited U.S. medical schools.
• Encourage students to consider a career in Psychiatry
• Enhance student awareness of opportunities in academic medicine
• Increase the number of diverse students applying to OHSU’s Psychiatry Residency Program
• Provide specific mentoring and networking for students
A stipend of $2,000 will be awarded to cover room and board and transportation during the rotation at OHSU.
All participants are assigned a faculty advisor/mentor and offered opportunities to network with other OHSU house staff and students.While on campus, participants will meet our OHSU Psychiatry Program Leadership
HOW TO APPLY
Applicants must apply through the Visiting Student Application Service (VSAS) and must provide the following additional items:
• Psychiatry Clerkship Director Endorsement Letter, including details on the student’s qualifications for the Diversity Program
• Excellent to outstanding performance in the third-year Psychiatry clerkship (exceptions considered)
• Student letter of intent as to his/her qualification and desires for participating in the Diversity Program