Student Interest Group
Goals of neurological surgery student interest group are:
- Introduce medical students to the field of neurological surgery.
- Organize, develop, and promote interest in the specialty of neurological surgery.
- Encourage and develop student interest in neurological surgery through discussion groups, workshops, and attending/medical student mentoring relationships.
- Provide clinical exposure for medical students in neurological surgery.
- Provide guidance through the neurological surgery residency process.
- Provide leadership to promote active student involvement in neurological surgery.
- Serve as liaison for possible research projects.
- Assist the professional advancement of those students seeking careers in neurological surgery.
- Conferences: Conference times and subjects are located on the residency conference page.
- Mentorships: Student in the first two years can work with faculty as part of their Principles of Clinical Medicine (PCM) course.
- Clinical Rotations: In the 3rd and 4th years clinical rotations can be developed both in the clinic and on the hospital service.
- MD Electives (Neurological Surgery)
- Physiology & Pharmacology of Pain (Dr. Heinricher)
- Neurosurgery (Dr. Selden)
Special Neurosurgery Lectures
- Visiting Professors
- Paxton Professorship
- Gallo Lecture
- John Raaf Day Lecture
- Laboratory Mentorships
- Laboratory Conferences
- Campagna Scholarship in Neurological Surgery
Links of Interest
- Neurological Surgery training at OHSU
- So you want to be a neurosurgeon
- Uncle Harvey Neurosurgical Forum/Blog (http://uncleharvey.com)
- Neurosurgical Matching Program (www.sfmatch.org)
- National Resident Matching Program (NRMP) www.nrmp.org
- American Council of Graduate Medical Education (ACGME) www.acgme.org
- AANS Medical Student Summer Research Fellowship
- Young Neurosurgeons www.aans.org/young_neurosurgeons
- American Association of Neurological Surgeons (AANS) www.aans.org
- Congress of Neurological Surgeons (CNS) www.neurosurgeon.org
- Women in Neurosurgery (WINS) www.neurosurgerywins.org
- North American Spine Society (NASS) www.spine.org
- The American Board of Neurological Surgeons (ABNS) www.abns.org (The BOARD!)
If you have further questions concerning the interest group, please address those to
- Medical Student Education Director: Edmund Frank, MD
- Program Coordinator: Heidi Waldo (503 494-6207)
- Medical Student Liason: Kate Wagner