Student Interest Group
The neurological surgery student interest group is a student run, faculty-mentored organization for those OHSU students considering neurological surgery as a specialty and career choice. It is the desire of the department of neurological surgery to promote and support opportunities where all OHSU students will gain understanding, experience and chances to explore their interest in the field. The department's commitment and resources are listed below.
Goals of neurological surgery student interest group are:
- Introduce medical students to the field of neurological surgery.
- Organize, develop, and promote interest in the specialty of neurological surgery.
- Encourage and develop student interest in neurological surgery through discussion groups, workshops, and attending/medical student mentoring relationships.
- Provide clinical exposure for medical students in neurological surgery.
- Provide guidance through the neurological surgery residency process.
- Provide leadership to promote active student involvement in neurological surgery.
- Serve as liaison for possible research projects.
- Assist the professional advancement of those students seeking careers in neurological surgery.
- Conferences: Conference times and subjects are located on the residency conference page.
- Mentorships: Student in the first two years can work with faculty as part of their Principles of Clinical Medicine (PCM) course.
- Clinical Rotations: In the 3rd and 4th years clinical rotations can be developed both in the clinic and on the hospital service.
- MD Electives (Neurological Surgery)
- Physiology & Pharmacology of Pain (Dr. Heinricher)
- Neurosurgery (Dr. Selden)
Special Neurosurgery Lectures
- Visiting Professors
- Paxton Professorship
- Gallo Lecture
- John Raaf Day Lecture
- Laboratory Mentorships
- Laboratory Conferences
- Campagna Scholarship in Neurological Surgery
Links of Interest
- Neurological Surgery training at OHSU
- So you want to be a neurosurgeon
- Neurosurgical Matching Program (www.sfmatch.org)
- National Resident Matching Program (NRMP) www.nrmp.org
- American Council of Graduate Medical Education (ACGME) www.acgme.org
- AANS Medical Student Summer Research Fellowship
- Young Neurosurgeons www.aans.org/young_neurosurgeons
- American Association of Neurological Surgeons (AANS) www.aans.org
- Congress of Neurological Surgeons (CNS) www.neurosurgeon.org
- Women in Neurosurgery (WINS) www.neurosurgerywins.org
- North American Spine Society (NASS) www.spine.org
- The American Board of Neurological Surgeons (ABNS) www.abns.org (The BOARD!)
If you have further questions concerning the interest group, please address those to
- Medical Student Education Director: Lissa C. Baird, MD
- Program Coordinator: Josh Leitner (503 494-6207)
- Medical Student Liasons: Ibrahim Ainab, Daniel Blatt, Matthew Hill