The first neurosurgeon at OHSU (then called the University of Oregon Medical School) was Arthur J McClean M.D. who arrived in the early 1930's from the training program of Harvey Cushing M.D.
1936John Raaf, M.D., of the Mayo Clinic joined Arthur J McClean M.D. These two prominent physicians continued to manage and develop the neurosurgical training until Dr. McClean's death in 1940.
Dr. Raaf formed the first formal neurosurgical training program, which was located at Good Samaritan Hospital.
George Austin, M.D. was appointed head of the University of Oregon Health Sciences Center, Division of Neurosurgery within the Department of Surgery.
First neurosurgical residents are trained at the University of Oregon Health Sciences Center, Division of Neurosurgery.
Harold Paxton, M.D., was appointed chief of the Division of Neurosurgery and recruits A.E. Gallo, Jr., M.D., as the chief of Pediatric Neurosurgery.
Kim Burchiel, M.D., takes the place of Dr. Paxton (Professor Emeritus) as the chief of the division.
The division of Neurosurgery was granted full department status within the School of Medicine and officially became known as the Department of Neurological Surgery.
Kim Burchiel, M.D., was appointed John Raaf Professor and Chair of the Department of Neurological Surgery in 1988.
2016Nathan Selden, M.D., Ph.D., was Head of the Pediatric Neurosurgery Division from 2000-2015 and was named OHSU's first Campagna Chair of Pediatric Neurosurgery in 2012.
Nathan R Selden, M.D., Ph.D., was appointed Campagna Professor and Chair of the Department of Neurological Surgery in 2016.