We appreciate your interest in our neurology program and welcome your application.
The Neurology Residency at OHSU uses ERAS (Electronic Residency Application Service) exclusively. Your application to Neurology through ERAS includes the Internal Medicine Preliminary
year, therefore a separate application is not necessary.
The following materials must be transmitted to us through ERAS no later than NOVEMBER 8th:
- Common Application Form (including CV)
- Personal Statement
- Medical School Transcript
- 3 letters of recommendation (4 is maximum)
- Certified USMLE/COMLEX scores
- Dean’s Letter
- Photograph (required if invited for an interview)
International Medical Graduates are required to submit the following in addition to above:
- ECFMG Certificate
- Documentation of US Clinical Experience
Interviewees are extended an invitation via email. We interview most Mondays and Fridays, November through January, excluding holidays. Interviews begin promptly at 8:00 A.M. The interview is an essential piece of the application process and involves one full day in Portland. Residents host an informal dinner the night before your interview. We also provide one hotel night plus tax only, the night before your interview date.
Match and Rank Process
We participate in the NRMP (National Resident Matching Program).
The OHSU Neurology Residency is a four-year integrated residency program. However, PGY-1 is optional at our institution. We offer the flexibility for you to complete your PGY-1 year elsewhere. Therefore, if you rank our program, you will be ranking us for PGY-2. After you rank our program, you will then be asked to rank a PGY-1 year. You may either select OHSU for PGY-1 or another program. If you match with our PGY-2 program you will be guaranteed a PGY-1 spot, if you do not previously match a PGY-1 spot elsewhere.
Frequently Asked Questions
- How do you submit an application?
Our program only accepts applications through the ERAS Match located at www.nrmp.org. Please do not submit additional application materials via email.
- How many interviews/position do you offer?
We interview 10 applicants for every 1 position offered
- How many vacant positions do you have?
We offer 4 positions each year through the match.
- Is there a USMLE cutoff score to apply to your program?
There is no strict cut-off, but we typically match with applicants with 200+ on USMLE.
- How many attempts are allowed to pass USMLE?
Prefer pass on first attempt, but special circumstances considered.
- Do you have a minimum USMLE score?
We have no minimum score requirement but a competitive score will increase the strength of your application.
- Do I have to have Step 2 of USMLE complete before applying?
Not for application process, but required as part of appointment.
- What are the requirements for USMLE Step 3?
We require USMLE Step 3 be taken by the end of PGY-1 year.
- Do you accept COMLEX scores for DO candidates?
We do accept COMLEX scores
- Is training in the US essential?
A rotation or experience in the US is very helpful.
- How long since graduation do you accept medical students into your residency program?
We strongly prefer that you have graduated within 5 years from medical school.
- Do you ever accept IMG’s into your program?
Yes, we accept IMG’s into our program.
- How many IMG's are in your program currently?
- Is US clinical experience required for the applicants to be eligible for interview?
We prefer candidates with some US clinical experience.
- What types of Visas do you offer?
Applicants who are not U.S. citizens must be legally able to work in the U.S. or eligible to obtain authorization to work. Requests for information or visa applications should be made to the GME office.
Contact the GME office