We appreciate your interest in our neurology program and welcome your application.
The OHSU Neurology Residency is a four-year integrated residency program. The application process does not include a separate application to the preliminary position in Internal Medicine, therefore applicants that wish to apply to our program will only submit their application to the Neurology program (PGY2-4 / NRMP Code 1599180A0).
Applicants that rank our program are guaranteed a preliminary position and will need to first rank us for Neurology (PGY-2-4 / NRMP Code 1599180A0), then rank us for Med-Prelim/Neurology (PGY-1 / NRMP Code 1599140P0).
The following materials must be transmitted to us through ERAS no later than NOVEMBER 10:
- Common Application Form (including CV)
- Personal Statement
- Medical School Transcript
- 3 letters of recommendation (4 is maximum)
- Certified USMLE/COMLEX scores
- Dean’s Letter
- Photograph (required if invited for an interview)
International Medical Graduates are required to submit the following in addition to above:
- ECFMG Certificate
- Documentation of US Clinical Experience
Interviewees are extended an invitation via email. We interview most Mondays and Fridays, November through January, excluding holidays. Interviews begin promptly at 8:00 A.M. The interview is an essential piece of the application process and involves one full day in Portland. Residents host an informal dinner the night before your interview. We also provide one hotel night plus tax only, the night before your interview date.
Frequently Asked Questions
- How many interviews/position do you offer?
We interview 10 applicants for every 1 position offered
- How many vacant positions do you have?
We offer 4–5 positions each year through the match.
Application & Rank Process
- Do I have to submit my ERAS application for the Med-Prelim position?
No, in ERAS applicants only apply to Neurology|1599180A0 (Advanced)
- Do I have to rank the Med-Prelim position in the NRMP System?
Yes, applicants will first rank Neurology (PGY-2-4 / NRMP Code 1599180A0), then rank Med-Prelim/Neurology (PGY-1 / NRMP Code 1599140P0)
- Is there a USMLE cutoff score to apply to your program?
There is no strict cut-off, but we typically match with applicants with 240+ on USMLE.
- How many attempts are allowed to pass USMLE?
Prefer pass on first attempt, but special circumstances considered.
- Do you have a minimum USMLE score?
We have no minimum score requirement but a competitive score will increase the strength of your application.
- Do I have to have Step 2 of USMLE complete before applying?
Not for application process, but required as part of appointment.
- What are the requirements for USMLE Step 3?
We require USMLE Step 3 be taken by the end of PGY-1 year.
- Do you accept COMLEX scores for DO candidates?
We do accept COMLEX scores
Are D.O. candidates required to submit USMLE scores?
No, we accept COMLEX scores in lieu of USMLE for D.O. candidates.
Do you have a minimum COMLEX score requirement?
There is no strict cut-off, but a competitive score is usually 550+.
International Medical Graduates
- Do you accept IMG's into your program?
Yes, we accept IMG's into our program.
- How many IMG's are in your program currently?
- How long since graduation do you accept medical students into your residency program?
There is no strict cut-off, however we strongly prefer that you have graduated within 5 years from medical school.
- Is US clinical experience an essential requirement for application to your residency program?
We prefer candidates with some US clinical experience. Documentation should be self-reported as part of the ERAS application.
- What types of Visas do you offer?
Applicants who are not U.S. citizens must be legally able to work in the U.S. or eligible to obtain authorization to work. Requests for information or visa applications should be made to the GME office. Contact the GME office
- Do I have to have my ECFMG certificate before applying?
No, we understand the delay with receiving this after applicants have graduated medical school.