OHSU

Department of Neurology History

1912-13
Neurology first described in the OHSU catalogue (then called the University of Oregon Medical School), taught in the Department of Nervous Diseases.

1915-1945
Dr. W.E. Allen teaches neurology anatomy.

1930’s
Dr. Merl Margason teaches new neurological clinic.

1940
Robert S. Dow, MD, joins neurology and anatomy.

1954-1974
Roy L. Swank, MD, PhD, recruited to establish and lead the Division of Neurology in the Department of Medicine. There are eight (8) members of the staff.

1955
First resident and fellow join department.

1975-1982
Neurology given full department status.Frank M. Yatsu, MD, becomes first Chair of the Department of Neurology.

1982-1985
John P. Hammerstad, MD, becomes Acting Chair of Department of Neurology.

1985-2000
Earl A. Zimmerman, MD, becomes Chair of the Department of Neurology.

2000-2004
Dennis N. Bourdette, M.D., serves as Interim Chair and appointed Roy and Eulalia Swank Family Research Professor.

2004-present
Dennis N. Bourdette, M.D., appointed Chair of Department of Neurology.Currently there are 54 full time faculty members of the department.