Dr. Sima Desai
Associate Professor of Medicine
Division of Hospital Medicine, OHSU
MD: University of New Mexico School of Medicine, Albuquerque, NM, 1994
BS: University of New Mexico, Biology (With Distinction), Albuquerque, NM, 1990
BA: University of New Mexico, Chemistry, Albuquerque, NM, 1990
Chief Residency: Oregon Health &Science University, Portland, OR, 1998
Residency: Oregon Health & Science University, Portland, OR 1997
Internship: Oregon Health & Science University, Portland, OR 1995
- Medical Education - Adult Learning Theory
- Cognitive Errors
- Hospital Medicine
- Transitions of care
- Care of the older patient
Dr. Desai is an Associate Professor of Medicine and the Program Director for the Internal Medicine Residency Program. Previously she was the Section Chief for the OHSU Division of Hospital Medicine (2006-2010) and Associate Program Director for the Internal Medicine Residency Program (2004-2010).
Dr. Desai currently serves on several committees, including the Faculty Senate, the Evaluation, Assessment and Tracking of Students, the Hospitalist CME course and many others. Regionally and nationally she is a member of the Association of Program Directors in Internal Medicine Program Planning Committee, Oregon Chapter of the American College of Physicians Governor's Council, chair of the Oregon ACP Program Planning Committee, and the national AAIM-ACP Taskforce.
Recent awards include the OHSU Faculty Teaching Award, the Marion L. Krippaehne Humanism Award, School of Medicine Faculty Hooder and the James M. Ryan, MD Memorial Award for Excellence in Clinical Teaching. Her scholarly/research interests focus on systems changes related to residency education, medical student education, resident wellness, and cognitive bias.
Publications and Scholarly Activities
- Liew J, Friedman M, Desai S, Taute L, Stenzel P, Wanchu A. Catastrophic Antiphospholipid Syndrome in a Patient with Systemic Sclerosis and Hereditary Angioedema: Case Report and Literature Review. Modern Rheumatology Case Reports 2017 (accepted, date pending).
- Bordley J, Agustin A, Ahmed M, Khalid R, Paluso A, Kobza B, Spaugy A, Emens J, Desai S, Khan A. Restoration of Resident Sleep and Wellness with Block Scheduling. Medical Education 2017 (accepted, date pending).
- Fine C, Kishel B, O'Glasser AY, Desai SS. A Greener Oregon: Acute Inpatient Delirium. Am J Med. 2017 Apr;130(4):423-425.
Diamond SJ, Thomas CR, Desai SS, Holliday EB, Jagsi, R, Schmitt C, Enestvedt B. Gender Difference in Publication Productivity, Academic Rank and Career Duration Among U.S. Academic Gastroenterology Faculty. Academic Medicine Aug 2016;91(8): 1158-63.
Serota D, Halvorson S, Desai S. A Couple's Colitis. JGIM Dec 2015;Vol 30(12): 1889-90.
Chan B, Englander H, Kent K, Desai S, Obley A, Kansagara D. Transitioning Toward Competency: A Resident-Faculty Collaborative Approach to Developing a Transitions of Care EPA in an Internal Medicine Residency Program. JGME 2014;Vol 6 (4):760-764.
Bowen JL, Eckstrom E, Desai SS, Joseph C, Newton P, Singer C. Pocket Card Tools for Geriatric Educators. (June 2004). http://www.ohsu.edu/sgimhartford/educationalresources.htm.
- Eckstrom, E., Bowen, J., Joseph, C., Desai, S., Ririe, M., Wolf, A. Collaborative Centers for Research and Education in the Care of Older Adults: Oregon Health Sciences University and the University of Virgina. SGIM Forum. 27(5): 6. May 2004.
- Hunter, AJ., Desai, SS., and Harrison, RA, Chan BC. Medical Student Evaluation of the Quality of Hospitalist and Non-Hospitalist Teaching Faculty on Inpatient Medicine Rotations. Academic Medicine 2004;79:78-82
- Embi, PJ., Desai, SS., and Cooney, TG. Use and Utility of Web-Based Residency Program Information: a Survey of Residency Applicants. J Med Internet Res 2003;25;5(3):e22.