Dr. Sima Desai
Associate Professor of Medicine
Division of Hospital Medicine, OHSU
DegreesBS - University of New Mexico (Biology with Distinction), Albuquerque, NM, 1990
BA - University of New Mexico (Chemistry), Albuquerque, NM, 1990
MD - University of New Mexico School of Medicine, Albuquerque, NM, 1994
Internal Medicine - Oregon Health & Science University, Portland, OR, 1997
Chief Resident - Oregon Health & Science University, Portland, OR, 1998
- Medical Education - Adult Learning Theory
- Cognitive Errors
- Hospital Medicine
- Transitions of care
- Care of the older patient
Dr. Desai is an Associate Professor of Medicine and the Program Director for the Internal Medicine Residency Program. Previously she was the Section Chief for the OHSU Division of Hospital Medicine (2006-2010) and Associate Program Director for the Internal Medicine Residency Program (2004-2010).
Dr. Desai currently serves on several committees, including the Faculty Senate, the Evaluation, Assessment and Tracking of Students, the Hospitalist CME course and many others. Regionally and nationally she is a member of the Association of Program Directors in Internal Medicine Program Planning Committee, Oregon Chapter of the American College of Physicians Governor's Council, chair of the Oregon ACP Program Planning Committee, and the national AAIM-ACP Taskforce.
Recent awards include the OHSU Faculty Teaching Award, the Marion L. Krippaehne Humanism Award, School of Medicine Faculty Hooder and the James M. Ryan, MD Memorial Award for Excellence in Clinical Teaching. Her scholarly/research interests focus on systems changes related to residency education, medical student education, resident wellness, and cognitive bias.
Publications and Scholarly Activities
- Smith, B, Desai S, Allen E, Saha S, Hunter A. Impact of Shorter Inpatient Faculty Rotations on Resident Learning Experience. Am J of Med 2009; 122(1); 96-100
- Poster Presentation: Bensching K, Dipiero, A, Haney E, Hardman, J, Lucas, L, Pickett, M, Sprague, C, Desai, S. Redesigning the Ambulatory Curriculum in a 3+1 Model APDIM Fall 2011
- Poster Presentation Cedfeldt, A, Halvorson, S, Haney, E, Desai S. Resident Wellness In A Block Model. APDIM Fall 2012