Associate Program Director
Assistant Professor of Medicine
BS - University of Washington, Seattle, Washington, 1995
MHS - Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, Baltimore, Maryland, 1999
MD - Sackler School of Medicine, Tel Aviv University; Tel Aviv, Israel, 2002
Internal Medicine, Oregon Health and Science University 2005
Infectious Disease, Oregon Health and Science University 2007
- Mycobacterial infections
- Infections in immunocompromised hosts, specifically HIV patients
- Immunodiagnosis of Mycobacterium tuberculosis (Mtb) infection
- Immunological Bioinformatics
- Point of care diagnostics in high burden settings for Mtb
Dr. Nyendak is responsible for representing the subspecialty mission of the residency program which includes providing mentorship for subspecialty bound residents and those with an interest in the clinician-researcher career path, developing and maintaining curriculum within each subspecialty rotation block, and improving the overall experience of subspecialty experiences offered within the program. Dr. Nyendak also oversees the Global Health initiative, including matching residents with mentors, representing the residency program at the School of Medicine, liasoning with the internal medicine residents who are current global health scholars and improving access to global health opportunities.
Publications and Scholarly Activities
- Nyendak, M, Eid, T, Nahid, P, Winthrop, K, Lewinsohn, DM. Mycobacterial Infections in the Non-HIV Infected Patient. Encyclopedia of Intensive Care Medicine (Vincent, Jean-Louis; Hall, Jesse B. Editors).
- Lancioni C, Nyendak M, Kiguli S, et al. CD8+ T cells Provide an Immunologic Signature of Tuberculosis in Young Children. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2011 Oct 27.
- Conference: American Thoracic Society Conference, Denver, Colorado 5/2011
M.Nyendak, B.Park, M.Null, J.Baseke, G.Swarbrick, H.Mayanja-Kizza, M.Nsereko, P.Gitta, J.L.Johnson, W.H.Boom, D.A.Lewinsohn, D.M.Lewinsohn. Mtb-Specific CD8+ T cell Responses Decline with Antituberculous Therapy In Smear-Positive Pulmonary TB Cases In Kampala, Uganda. Abstract # 17387.
- Nyendak M, Lewinsohn DA, Lewinsohn DM. New diagnostic methods for tuberculosis. Curr Opin Infect Dis 2009 Apr;22(2):174-82.