Melissa Nyendak, MD, MHS
Assistant Professor of Medicine
Division of Infectious Diseases, OHSU/VAMC
Degrees:BS: University of Washington, Seattle, Washington 1995
MHS: Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, Baltimore, Maryland 1999
MD: Sackler School of Medicine, Tel Aviv University; Tel Aviv, Israel 2002
Residency:Internal Medicine, Oregon Health and Science University 2002-2005
Infectious Disease, OHSU 2005-2007
- Mycobacterial infections
- Infections in immunocompromised hosts
- Immunodiagnosis of Mycobacterium tuberculosis (Mtb) infection
- Immunological Bioinformatics
- Point of care diagnostics in high burden settings for Mtb
Dr.Nyendak is an Assistant Professor of Medicine and the Associate Program Director for the Internal Medicine Residency Program. Her research career has focused on translating discoveries made in the host immune response to Mycobacterium tuberculosis (Mtb) infection with a view toward improved Mtb diagnostic biomarkers. Her clinical interests include infections in immune compromised hosts. As the Associate Program Director for Internal Medicine, Dr.Nyendak oversees the Global Health Scholars Program in Internal Medicine.
- Nyendak M, Park B, Null M, Baseke J, Swarbrick G, Mayanja-Kizza H, Nsereko M, Johnson D, Gitta P, Okwera A, Goldberg S, Bozeman L, Johnson J, Boom WH, Lewinsohn DA, Lewinsohn DM. Mycobacterium tuberculosis specific CD8+ T cells rapidly decline with antituberculosis treatment. PLOS one, In Press 2013.
- Lancioni C, Nyendak M, Kiguli S, et al. CD8+ T cells Provide an Immunologic Signature of Tuberculosis in Young Children. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2011 Oct 27.
- Nyendak M, Lewinsohn DA, Lewinsohn DM. New diagnostic methods for tuberculosis. Curr Opin Infect Dis 2009 Apr;22(2):174-82.
- Nyendak M, Lewinsohn DA, Lewinsohn DM. The Use of Interferon-gamma Release Assays in Clinical Practice. Clinical Tuberculosis (P Davies Editor) Hodder Arnold Publication. 2008.
- Winthrop KL, Nyendak M, Calvet H, et al. Interferon-gamma release assays for diagnosing mycobacterium tuberculosis infection in renal dialysis patients. Clin J Am Soc Nephrol 2008 Sep;3(5):1357-63.