Melissa Nyendak, MD, MHS
Adjunct Associate Professor of Medicine
Division of Infectious Diseases, OHSU
Degrees:BS: University of Washington, Seattle, Washington 1995
MHS: Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, Baltimore, Maryland 1999
MD: Sackler School of Medicine, Tel Aviv University; Tel Aviv, Israel 2002
Residency:Internal Medicine, Oregon Health and Science University, 2005
Infectious Disease, Oregon Health and Science University, 2007
- Mycobacterial infections
Immunodiagnosis and point of care diagnostics for Mycobacterium tuberculosis infection
HIV implementation science
Dr. Nyendak graduated from the Sackler School of Medicine in 2002 and completed her Internal Medicine residency and Infectious Diseases fellowship at OHSU. Her research interests include diagnostics for Mycobacterium tuberculosis infection and HIV implementation science. Dr. Nyendak currently serves as the Branch Chief for HIV Prevention, Care, & Treatment for the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in India.
Lewinsohn DA, Swarbrick GM, Park B, Cansler ME, Null MD, Toren KG, Baseke J, Zalwango S, Mayanja-Kizza H, Malone LL, Nyendak M, Wu G, Guinn K, McWeeney S, Mori T, Chervenak KA, Sherman DR, Boom WH, Lewinsohn DM. Comprehensive definition of human immunodominant CD8 antigens in tuberculosis. NPJ Vaccines. 2017;2. pii: 8. doi: 10.1038/s41541-017-0008-6. Epub 2017 Apr 3.
Nyendak M, Swarbrick GM, Duncan A, Cansler M, Huff EW, Hokey D, Evans T, Barker L, Blatner G, Sadoff J, Douoguih M, Pau MG, Lewinsohn DA, Lewinsohn DM. Adenovirally-Induced Polyfunctional T Cells Do Not Necessarily Recognize the Infected Target: Lessons from a Phase I Trial of the AERAS-402 Vaccine. Sci Rep. 2016 Nov 2;6:36355. doi: 10.1038/srep36355.
- Dueker J, Harrington RD, Goldberger ZD, Halvorson S, Nyendak M. Of Mice and Men. Journal of Hospital Medicine. 2015 Jul 22 [Epub ahead of print]
- Melissa R. Nyendak, David M. Lewinsohn, Raj D. Shah, Richard G. Wunderink, Carl D. Koch, Alison Morris, Kolene E. McDade, Gaetane C. Michaud, Amit K. Mahajan, Colleen L. Channick, A. Christine Argento, Momen M. Wahidi, William S. Beckett, Gautam George, and Carey C. Thomson. ATS Core Curriculum 2014: Part I. Adult Pulmonary Medicine, Annals of the American Thoracic Society, Vol. 11, No. 7 (2014), pp. 1136-1144.
- Nyendak MR, Park B, Null M, Baseke J, Swarbrick G, Mayanja-Kizza H, Nsereko M, Johnson D, Gitta P, Okwera A, Goldberg S, Bozeman L, Johnson J, Boom WH, Lewinsohn DA, Lewinsohn DM. Mycobacterium tuberculosis specific CD8+ T cells rapidly decline with antituberculosis treatment. PLOS one. 2013 Dec 4;8(12): e81564
- Lancioni C*, Nyendak M*, Kiguli S, et al. CD8+ T cells Provide an Immunologic Signature of Tuberculosis in Young Children. Am J Respir Crit Care Med; 185(2) 2012.
*shared first authorship
- Nyendak, M, Eid, T, Nahid, P, Winthrop, K, Lewinsohn, DM. Mycobacterial Infections in the Non-HIV Infected Patient. Encyclopedia of Intensive Care Medicine (Vincent, Jean-Louis; Hall, Jesse B. Editor). March 6, 2011
- Nyendak MR, Lewinsohn DA, Lewinsohn DM. New Diagnostics for Mycobacterium Tuberculosis. Current Opinions in Infectious Disease, 2009; 22:174-182.
- Nyendak MR, Lewinsohn DA, Lewinsohn DM. The Use of Interferon-gamma Release Assays in Clinical Practice. Clinical Tuberculosis (P Davies Editor) 4th Ed. Hodder Arnold Publication. London. 2008. Pages 91-101.
- Winthrop KL, Nyendak M, Calvet H, et al. Interferon-gamma release assays for diagnosing Mycobacterium tuberculosis infection in renal dialysis patients. Clin J Am Soc Nephrol. Jun 2008.