Melissa Nyendak, MD, MHS
Associate Professor of Medicine
Division of Infectious Diseases, OHSU/VAMC
Degrees:BS: University of Washington, Seattle, Washington 1995
MHS: Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, Baltimore, Maryland 1999
MD: Sackler School of Medicine, Tel Aviv University; Tel Aviv, Israel 2002
Residency:Internal Medicine, Oregon Health and Science University 2002-2005
Infectious Disease, OHSU 2005-2007
- Mycobacterial infections
- Infections in immunocompromised hosts
- Immunodiagnosis of Mycobacterium tuberculosis (Mtb) infection
- Immunological Bioinformatics
- Point of care diagnostics in high burden settings for Mtb
Dr.Nyendak is an Associate Professor of Medicine and the Associate Program Director for the Internal Medicine Residency Program. Her research career has focused on translating discoveries made in the host immune response to Mycobacterium tuberculosis (Mtb) infection with a view toward improved Mtb diagnostic biomarkers. Her clinical interests include infections in immune compromised hosts. As the Associate Program Director for Internal Medicine, Dr.Nyendak oversees the Global Health Scholars Program in Internal Medicine.
- Dueker J, Harrington RD, Goldberger ZD, Halvorson S, Nyendak M. Of Mice and Men. Journal of Hospital Medicine. 2015 Jul 22 [Epub ahead of print]
- Melissa R. Nyendak, David M. Lewinsohn, Raj D. Shah, Richard G. Wunderink, Carl D. Koch, Alison Morris, Kolene E. McDade, Gaetane C. Michaud, Amit K. Mahajan, Colleen L. Channick, A. Christine Argento, Momen M. Wahidi, William S. Beckett, Gautam George, and Carey C. Thomson. ATS Core Curriculum 2014: Part I. Adult Pulmonary Medicine, Annals of the American Thoracic Society, Vol. 11, No. 7 (2014), pp. 1136-1144.
- Nyendak MR, Park B, Null M, Baseke J, Swarbrick G, Mayanja-Kizza H, Nsereko M, Johnson D, Gitta P, Okwera A, Goldberg S, Bozeman L, Johnson J, Boom WH, Lewinsohn DA, Lewinsohn DM. Mycobacterium tuberculosis specific CD8+ T cells rapidly decline with antituberculosis treatment. PLOS one. 2013 Dec 4;8(12): e81564
- Lancioni C*, Nyendak M*, Kiguli S, et al. CD8+ T cells Provide an Immunologic Signature of Tuberculosis in Young Children. Am J Respir Crit Care Med; 185(2) 2012.
*shared first authorship
- Nyendak, M, Eid, T, Nahid, P, Winthrop, K, Lewinsohn, DM. Mycobacterial Infections in the Non-HIV Infected Patient. Encyclopedia of Intensive Care Medicine (Vincent, Jean-Louis; Hall, Jesse B. Editor). March 6, 2011
- Nyendak MR, Lewinsohn DA, Lewinsohn DM. New Diagnostics for Mycobacterium Tuberculosis. Current Opinions in Infectious Disease, 2009; 22:174-182.
- Nyendak MR, Lewinsohn DA, Lewinsohn DM. The Use of Interferon-gamma Release Assays in Clinical Practice. Clinical Tuberculosis (P Davies Editor) 4th Ed. Hodder Arnold Publication. London. 2008. Pages 91-101.
- Winthrop KL, Nyendak M, Calvet H, et al. Interferon-gamma release assays for diagnosing Mycobacterium tuberculosis infection in renal dialysis patients. Clin J Am Soc Nephrol. Jun 2008.