Kevin Winthrop, MD, MPH
Assistant Professor of Infectious Diseases, Ophthalmology, Public Health and Preventive Medicine (joint appointment)
Division of Infectious Diseases, OHSU
Specialties:Internal Medicine, Mycobacterial Diseases, Public Health and Infectious Disease Epidemiology
Education:B.A. - Yale University
M.D. - Oregon Health & Science University
M.P.H. (Epidemiology) - University of California at Berkeley
Professional Training:Residency (Ophthalmology) - Stanford University
Epidemic Intelligence Service Officer - US Public Health Service, US Centers for Diseases Control and Prevention
Residency (Internal Medicine) - Legacy Emanuel Hospital, Portland, Oregon
Fellowship (Mycobacterial Diseases) - National Jewish Medical Center, Denver, Colorado
- Onchocerchiasis (river blindness) treatment and diagnosis
- Prevention and treatment of opportunistic infections in patients receiving novel immunosuppressive therapies
- Epidemiology of tuberculosis and non-TB mycobacterial infections
- International ophthalmology education and training
- Kendall BA, Winthrop KL. Update on the Epidemiology of Pulmonary Nontuberculous Mycobacterial Infections. Semin Respir Crit Care Med (In Press)
- Winthrop KL, Weinblatt ME, Daley CL. You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes (with two tests--TST and IGRA--for tuberculosis) you get what you need. Annals Rheumatic Diseases 2012 Sep 12
- Griffith DE, Winthrop KL. Mycobacterium avium complex (MAC) lung disease therapy. American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine (In press)
- Shorstein N, Winthrop KL, Herrinton L. Decrease in postoperative endophthalmitis rate following institution of intracameral antibiotics in a northern California eye department. Journal of Cataract and Refractive Surgery (In press)
- Furtado JM, Lansingh VC, Winthrop KL, Spivey B. Training of an ophthalmologist in concepts and practice of community eye health. Indian J Ophthalmol. 2012;60:365-367.
- Zhang J, Xie F, Delzell E, Chen L, Winthrop KL, Lewis JD, Saag KG, Baddley JW, Curtis JR. Association between vaccination for herpes zoster and risk of herpes zoster infection among older patients with selected immune-mediated diseases. Journal of American Medical Association 2012;308:43-49.
- Winthrop KL, Chen L, Fraunfelder FW, et al. Initiation of anti-TNF therapy and the risk of optic neuritis; from the Safety Assessment of Biologic ThERapy (SABER) Study. Am J Ophthalmol. 2012 Sep 8. [Epub ahead of print]
- Dirac MA, Horan KL, Doody DR, Meschke JS, Park DR, Jackson LA, Weiss NS, Winthrop KL, Cangelosi GA. Environment or host?: A case-control study of Mycobacterium avium complex lung disease. American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine (In Press).
- Epson E, Cassidy M, Marshall-Olson A, Hedberg K, Winthrop KL. Patients with nontuberculous mycobacteria: comparison of updated and previous diagnostic criteria for lung disease. Diagnostic Microbiology and Infectious Disease (In Press)
- Marx D, Change PT, Winthrop KL. Strenotrophomonas maltophilia-related Chronic Dacryocystitis. Orbit (In Press).
- Epson E, Winthrop KL. Nontuberculous mycobacterial lung disease; an emerging disease in the elderly. Open Longevity Science (In Press)Furtado J, Butler N, Winthrop KL, Smith J. Ocular Toxoplasmosis. II. Clinical Features, Pathology, and Management. Clinical and Experimental Ophthalmology (In Press).
- Davis EJ,Rathinam SR, Okada AA et al. Clinical spectrum of tuberculous optic neuropathy. Journal of Ophthalmic Inflammation and Infection (In Press)
- D E Furst, E C Keystone, J Braun, F C Breedveld, G R Burmester, F De Benedetti, T Dörner, P Emery, R Fleischmann, A Gibofsky, J R Kalden, A Kavanaugh, B Kirkham, P Mease, J Sieper, N G Singer, J S Smolen, P L C M Van Riel, M H Weisman, K Winthrop. Updated consensus statement on biological agents for the treatment of rheumatic diseases, 2011. Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases 2012;71: Suppl 2:i2-i45.
- Ferrara G, Murray M, Winthrop K, et al. Risk factors associated with pulmonary tuberculosis: smoking, diabetes and anti-TNFα drugs. Curr Opin Pulm Med. 2012 Mar 1. [Epub ahead of print]
- Winthrop KL, Baxter R, Liu L, Varley CD, Curtis JR, Baddley JW, McFarland B, Austin D, Radcliffe L, Suhler EB, Choi D, Rosenbaum JT, Herrinton LJ. Mycobacterial diseases and anti-tumor necrosis factor therapy in the United States. Annals of Rheumatic Diseases (In Press).