John Townes, MD
Associate Professor of Medicine
Division of Infectious Diseases, OHSU/VAMC
Degrees:B.A. (Biology) - Brown University , 1982
M.D. - The Johns Hopkins University SOM, 1990
Residency:Medicine - Johns Hopkins Hospital, 1990-1993
Fellowship:Epidemic Intelligence Service, Foodborne and Diarrheal Diseases Branch, Division of Bacterial and Mycotic Diseases, National Center for Infectious Diseases, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA 1993-1995
Clinical Fellow - Vanderbilt University Medical Center, 1997-1998
Research Interest:Epidemiology of Infectious Disease; diarrheal diseases; reactive arthritis; Cysticerosis; MRSA.
Clinical Interests:General Infectious Diseases; Tropical medicine.
Peer Reviewed Publications:
- Townes JM , Kohn MA, Southwick KL, Bangs CA, Zechnich AD, Magnuson JA, Jui J. Investigation of an electronic emergency department information system as a data source for respiratory syndrome surveillance. Journal of Public Health Management and Practice . 2004 Jul-Aug; 10(4): 299-307.
- Townes JM . Acute infectious gastroenteritis in adults: Seven steps to management and prevention. Postgraduate Medicine . 2004 May; 115 (5):11-6, 19.
- Hennessy TW, Marcus R, Deneen V, Reddy S, Vugia D, Townes J , Bardsley M, Swerdlow D, Angulo FJ; Emerging Infections Program FoodNet Working Group. Survey of physician diagnostic practices for patients with acute diarrhea: clinical and public health implications. Clinical Infectious Diseases . 2004 Apr 15;38 Suppl 3:S203-11.
- Townes JM , Hoffmann CJ, Kohn MA. Neurocysticercosis in Oregon : 1995-2000. Emerging Infectious Diseases . 2004 Mar; 10(3):508-10.
- Mahon BE, Sobel J, Townes JM , Mendoza C, Gudiel Lemus M, Cano F, Tauxe RV Surveying vendors of street-vended food: a new methodology applied in two Guatemalan cities. Epidemiology and Infectiont . 1999 Jun; 122(3): 409-16.
- Mermin J, Townes J , Gerber M, Dolan N, Mintz E, Tauxe R. Typhoid fever in the United States , 1985-1994: Changing risks of international travel and increasing antimicrobial resistance. Archives of Internal Medicine 1998 March 23; 158(6): 633-8.
- Townes J, Gonzales O, Quick R, Linares M, Wahlquist S, Damiani E, et al. Etiology of bloody diarrhea in Bolivian children: Implications for empiric therapy. Journal of Infectious Diseases,June;175(6):1527.
- Mead P, Finelli L, Lambert-Fair M, Champ D, Townes J, et al .Risk factors for sporadic infection with Escherichia coli O157:H7. Archives of Internal Medicine. January 27;157(2):204.
- Townes J, Cieslak P, Hatheway C, Solomon H, Holloway J, Baker, et al. An outbreak of type A botulism from commercial cheese sauce. Annals of Internal Medicine. 1996 October 1;125(7):558.