George C. Mejicano, MD, MS
Professor of Medicine
Senior Associate Dean for Education, School of Medicine
Division of Infectious Diseases, OHSU
M.D., University of Illinois at Chicago, Chicago Illinois
M.S., University of Wisconsin, Madison 1996
M.S., University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign Illinois 1986
Internal Medicine, University of Wisconsin Hospital and Clinics, Madison, WI, 1993
Infectious Diseases, University of Wisconsin Hospital and Clinics, Madison, WI, 1995
Academic Internal Medicine, University of Wisconsin Hospital and Clinics, 1996
Areas of Interest:
- Competency-based Medical Education
- Entrustable Professional Activities (EPAs)
- Educational Outcomes and Assessment
- Improving Patient Care through Education
George C. Mejicano received his medical degree from the University of Illinois. After finishing his post-graduate clinical training at the University of Wisconsin Hospital and Clinics, he became –and remains –board certified in both internal medicine and infectious diseases. He is currently a professor of medicine in the Division of Infectious Diseases at Oregon Health & Sciences University (OHSU).
His clinical interests include travel medicine, antibiotic resistance, and emerging infectious diseases. From 2003-04, Dr. Mejicano served on the board of scientific counselors of the National Center for Infectious Diseases of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). In addition, he was the interim head of the section of infectious diseases at the University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health from 2007-08.
- "Implementing an Entrustable Professional Activities Framework in Undergraduate Medical Education : Early Lessons From the AAMC Core Entrustable Professional Activities for Entering Residency Pilot." Academic Medicine In: , 03.01.2017.
- "Fostering the Development of Master Adaptive Learners : A Conceptual Model to Guide Skill Acquisition in Medical Education." Academic Medicine In: , 16.08.2016.
- "Applying the institutional review board data repository approach to manage ethical considerations in evaluating and studying medical education." Medical Education Online In: , Vol. 21, No. 1, 32021, 2016.
- "Factors contributing to successful interorganizational collaboration : The case of CS2day." Journal of Continuing Education in the Health Professions In: , Vol. 31, No. SUPPL. 1, 09.2011.
- "Advancing public health through continuing education of health care professionals." Journal of Continuing Education in the Health Professions In: , Vol. 31, No. SUPPL. 1, 09.2011.
- "Building a competency-based curriculum : The agony and the ecstasy." Advances in Health Sciences Education In: , Vol. 15, No. 3, 2010, p. 439-454.
- "Modeling physician practice change using the Integrated Systems Model." Wisconsin Medical Journal In: , Vol. 108, No. 5, 08.2009.
- "Physician Practice Change I : A Critical Review and Description of an Integrated Systems Model." Academic Medicine In: , Vol. 84, No. 8, 08.2009, p. 1043-1055.
- "Physician Practice Change II : Implications of the Integrated Systems Model (ISM) for the Future of Continuing Medical Education." Academic Medicine In: , Vol. 84, No. 8, 08.2009, p. 1056-1065.
- "Perspective : Competency-based medical education: A defense against the four horsemen of the medical education apocalypse." Academic Medicine In: , Vol. 83, No. 12, 12.2008, p. 1132-1139.