Brian Wong, MD
Brian Wong, MD
Professor of Medicine
Professor of Molecular Microbiology & Immunology
Director, Division Chief of Infectious Diseases
Degrees:AB , Harvard, Cambridge , MA , 1970
MD, SUNY Downstate, Brooklyn , NY , 1974
Residency:Intern (1974-5), Resident (1975-7), Chief Resident (1977-8), Dept of Medicine,
SUNY Downstate-Kings County Hosp, Brooklyn , NY
Fellowship:Infectious Diseases, Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center , New York , NY (1978-80)
Research Interest:Candida albicans pathogenesis, medical mycology, antifungal drug targets, diagnostic methods for fungal diseases
Clinical Interests:general infectious diseases, medical mycology
- Mao Y, Kalb VF, Wong B. Overexpression of a dominant-negative allele of SEC4 inhibits growth and protein secretion in Candida albicans. J Bacteriol 1999;181:7235-42.
- Yeo SFL, Zhang Y, Schaffer D, Campbell S, Wong B. A rapid, automated enzymatic fluorometric assay for the determination of serum D-arabinitol. J Clin Microbiol 2000;38:1439-43.
- Suvarna K, Bartiss A, Wong B. Mannitol-1-phosphate dehydrogenase from Cryptococcus neoformans is a long-chain, zinc-containing dehydrogenase, Microbiology (UK) 2000;146:2705-13.
- Lee SA, Mao Y, Zhang Z, Wong B. Overexpression of a dominant-negative allele of YPT1 inhibits growth and aspartyl protease secretion in Candida albicans . Microbiology ( UK ) 2001;147:1961-70.
- Yeo SF, Wong B. Current status of nonculture diagnostic methods for invasive fungal infections. Clinical Microbiology Reviews 2002;15:465-84.
- Lee SA, Wormsley S, Kamoun S, Joiner K, Wong B. An analysis of the Candida albicans genome database for soluble secreted proteins using computer-based prediction algorithms. Yeast 2003;20:595-610.
- Mao Y, Zhang Z, Wong B. Use of green fluorescent protein fusions to analyze the N- and C-terminal signal peptides of GPI-anchored cell wall proteins of Candida albicans. Mol Microbiol 2003;50:1617-28.
- Lee S, Khalique Z, Gale C, Wong B. Intracellular trafficking of fluorescently-tagged proteins in Candida albicans secretory mutants. Medical Mycology 2005;43:423-30.
- Kayingo G, Wong B. The Map kinase Hog1p differentially regulates stress-induced production and accumulation of glycerol and D-arabitol in Candida albicans . Microbiology ( UK ) 2005;151(Pt 9):2987-99.
- Yeo SF, Huie S, Sofair A, Campbell S, Durante A, Wong B. Measurement of serum D-arabinitol/creatinine ratios for initial diagnosis and for predicting outcomes in an unselected, population-based sample of patients with Candida fungemia. J Clin Microbiol 2006;44:3894-3899.
- Lee S, Jones J, Khalique Z, Kot J, Alba M, Stella B, Seghal A, Wong B. A functional analysis of the Candida albicans homolog of Saccharomyces cerevisiae VPS4. FEMS Yeast Res 2007;7:973-85.
- Mao Y, Zhang Z, Gast C, Wong B. C-terminal signals regulate targeting of the GPI-anchored proteins to the cell wall or the plasma membrane in Candida albicans. Eukaryotic Cell 2008;7:1906-15.
- Kayingo G, Andrie R, Neves L, Martins A, Lucas C, Wong B. A permease encoded by STL1 is required for the active glycerol uptake by Candida albicans. Microbiology (UK) 2009;155:1547-57.
- Basso LR Jr, Gast C, Mao Y, Wong B. Fluconazole transport into Candida albicans secretory vesicles by the membrane proteins Cdr1p, Cdr2p and Mdr1p. Eukaryotic Cell 2010;9:960-70.
- Basso LR, Bartiss A, Mao Y, Gast C, Coelho P, Snyder M, Wong B. Transformation of Candida albicans with a synthetic hygromycin B resistance gene. Yeast 2010;27:1039-48.
Assistant Attending Physician, Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center and Assistant Professor, Dept of Medicine, Cornell University Medical College , New York , NY (1980-84).
Assistant Professor (1984-90) and Associate Professor (1990-95), Dept of Medicine, University of Cincinnati College of Medicine , Cincinnati , OH .
Associate Professor (1995-2006), Dept of Internal Medicine, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven , CT.
Chief, Infectious Diseases Section, VA Connecticut Healthcare System, West Haven , CT (1995-2006).Back to ID Faculty Listing