Stephanie A.C. Halvorson, MD, FACP
Clinical Associate Professor of Medicine
Medical Director, Clinical Integration
Medicine Teaching Service
MD: University of Minnesota Medical School, Minneapolis, MN, 2001.
BA: Carleton Colloge, Northfield, MN, 1996.
Chief Residency: Oregon Health & Science University, Portland, OR, 2005.
Residency: Oregon Health & Science University, Portland, OR, 2004.
Internship: Oregon Health & Science University, Portland, OR, 2002.
Clinical & Research Interests:
- Healthcare integration
- Care of hospitalized patients
- Palliative and end-of-life care
- Improving systems of care and healthcare value for patients
- Residency curriculum development (examples include “Rational Rx”, a professionally-produced curriculum on pharmaceutical industry marketing techniques and use of evidence-based resources in prescribing).
- Clinical Skills Labs instructor (OHSU medical school)
- "Putting Value into Hospital Care", NW Hospital Medicine Conference
- "Updates in Hospital Medicine", OHSU Primary Care Review
- "Updates in Hospital Medicine", NW Hospital Medicine Conference
Service & Committees:
- OHSU Internal Medicine Clinical Competency Committee, former chair
Quality Improvement Initiatives:
- Standardized process for ICU to acute care transfers
- Evidenced-based guidelines for pain management in inpatients with Cystic Fibrosis
Halvorson SAC, Tanski ME, Yackel TR. Transitioning from Volume to Value: One Academic Medical Center's Approach to Improving Population Health. Acad Med. 2017 May;92(5):666-670.
Halvorson S, Wheeler B, Willis M, Watters J, Eastman J, O'Donnell R, Merkel M. A Multidisciplinary Initiative to Standardize Intensive Care to Acute Care Transitions. Int J Qual Health Care. 2016 Oct;28(5):615-625.
- Dueker JM, Harrionton RD, Goldeberger ZD, Halvorson S, Nyendak M. Of Mice and Men. J Hosp Med 2015:10(11):756-759.
Serota D, Halvorson S, Desai S. A Couple's Colitis. J Gen Intern Med. 2015:30(12)1889-1890.
Halvorson S. "Reactive Arthritis" in Clinical Decision Support: Rheumatology, edited by Cronstein B, Goodman S, Kay J, Mandel B. 2014. Decision Support in Medicine, LLC. Wilmington, DE.
Halvorson S, Gilbert E, Hopkins RS, et al. Putting the pieces together: Necrolytic migratory erythema and the glucagonoma syndrome. J Gen Intern Med 2013:28(11):1525-1529.
Halvorson S. "Osteomyelitis" in Clinical Decision Support: Hospital Medicine, edited by Wiese J, Auerbach A, Glasheen J, Li J. 2013 Decision Support in Medicine, LLC. Wilmington, DE.
Halvorson S, Ricker MA, Barker AF, Patton PE, Harrison RA and Hunter AJ. Thoracic endometriosis unmasked by ovarian hyperstimulation for in vitro fertilization. J Gen Intern 2012 10.1007/s11606-011-1959-3.
Halvorson S, Cedfeldt AC and Hunter AJ. Fulminant, Non-Antibiotic Associated Clostridium difficile Colitis Following Salmonella Gastroenteritis. J Gen Intern Med. 2011;26:95-97.
- Halvorson S, Cedfeldt AS. "Rational Rx: Mind Over Marketing". A freely accessible, web-based curriculum for Internal Medicine Residents. J Gen Intern Med. 2008:23,suppl2L216.
Salerno SM, Hurst FP, Halvorson S and Mercado DL. Principles of effective consultation: An update for the 21st-century consultant. Arch Intern Med. 2007;167:271-5
Representative Posters & Workshops:
Halvorson S, Finn K, Hasan, S. “Hitting your Milestones? Educational theory vs practical reality.” Alliance for Academic Internal Medicine Skills Development Conference Workshop, National Meeting, October 20, 2016, National Harbor, MD.
Halvorson S, Karlapudi S, Wheeler B, Rowland R, Graven P, Yackel T. “Understanding value from the C-Suite to the bedside: One institution’s development of an Inpatient Provider Value Dashboard.” Society of General Internal Medicine, National Meeting. May 12, 2016, Hollywood, FL.
Hasan S, Finn K, Halvorson S. “Reporting milestones opportunities: feedback from the field.” Marvin R. Dunn Poster Reception at the 2016 ACGME Annual Education Conference, February 25 - February 28 2016, at the Gaylord Resort and Convention Center in National Harbor, Maryland.
Hasan S, Finn K, Halvorson S. “Reporting milestones opportunities: feedback from the field.” Association of Program Directors in Internal Medicine, National Meeting, April 19-20, Las Vegas, NV.
Halvorson S, Dowhaniuk D, Desai, S. Divide and conquer: One residency program’s approach to efficient clinical competency committee review. Association of Program Directors in Internal Medicine, National Meeting, October 10, 2015, Atlanta, GA. Awarded, “Best Innovation.”
Halvorson S, Kagan D, Hunter A, Desai S. Improving efficiency drip by drip: Converting from a bolus to a drip admissions model reduces length of stay at two residency program-affiliated hospitals. Accreditation Councel for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME) National Meeting, Marvin Dunn Poster Session, March 1, 2013, Orlando, FL.
Cedfeldt AS, Halvorson S, Haney EM, Choi D, Desai SS. Resident wellness in a 3+1 model. Association of Program Directors in Internal Medicine, National Meeting, October 2012, Phoenix, AZ.
Cedfeldt AS, Halvorson S, Haney EM, Choi D, Desai SS. Resident wellness in a 3+1 model. Society of General Internal Medicine, Regional Meeting, February 1, 2013, Portland, OR.
Cedfeldt AS, Halvorson S. “Teaching Transitions: An Orientation Workshop to Enhance Interns’ Skills with Transitions of Care.” Association of Program Directors in Internal Medicine, National Meeting, April 2012, Atlanta, GA.
Honors & Awards:
- 2016 Oregon ACP Chapter, Early Career Physicians Award
- 2016 OHSU Department of Medicine Distinguished Education Leadership Award
- 2016 Senior Faculty Teaching Award (OHSU Internal Medicine Residency Program)
- 2015 OHSU David J. Bristow Award
- 2014 Portland Monthly Magazine "Top Doctors"
- 2013 NW Regional SGIM Clinician Educator Award
- Gold Humanism Honor Society
- Virginia Sznewajs Faculty Award for Excellence at End of Life Care
Dr. Halvorson attended Carleton College in Northfield, MN, for undergraduate studies, the University of Minnesota for medical school, and completed her residency and chief residency in Internal Medicine at OHSU. In 2005, she joined the Division of Hospital Medicine in the Department of Medicine at OHSU. During her years at OHSU, Dr. Halvorson has served as a clinical teacher/attending physician for medical students and residents on the OHSU acute care wards. From 20011-2016, she served as an Associate Program Director for the Internal Medicine Residency Program as well as the Director of the Medicine Teaching Service within the Division of Hospital Medicine, overseeing faculty and staff and serving as the director of the OHSU ward rotation for residents. In mid-2015, Dr. Halvorson became the Medical Director for Clinical Integration at OHSU. In this role, Dr. Halvorson aims to connect and engage physicians/clinicians in the hard work of helth care transformation in an effort to ultimately improve the value of care that we provide to our patients. In her space time, she enjoys running, skiing, travel, crossword puzzles, and attending her childrens' many sporting events.