Sima S. Desai, MD, FACP
Associate Professor of Medicine
Program Director of Internal Medicine Residency Program
Medicine Teaching Service
MD: University of New Mexico School of Medicine, Albuquerque, NM, 1994
BS: University of New Mexico, Biology (With Distinction), Albuquerque, NM, 1990
BA: University of New Mexico, Chemistry, Albuquerque, NM, 1990
Chief Residency: Oregon Health & Science University, Portland, OR, 1998
Residency: Oregon Health & Science University, Portland, OR 1997
Internship: Oregon Health & Science University, Portland, OR 1995
Clinical & Research Interests:
- Medical Education - Adult Learning Theory
- Diagnostic Reasoning
Representative Teaching & Invited CME:
- Meade L, Desai S, Barrett E. "The Quadruple Aim: Strategic Initiative to Foster Engagement and Build Resilience across the Spectrum of Hospital Medicine". Invited Workshop, Society for Hospital Medicine (SHM) National Meeting, May 2017.
- Palamara K, Desai S, Tulsky A, Simpkin A. "Defeating our Hydra of Burnout: Promote Resilience, Grit, Hardiness, and Happiness in Residents and Ourselves." Special Symposium Presentation, SGIM National Meeting, April 2017.
- Desai S. "The Nuts and Bolts of Accreditation. Citations and AFIs--What Does it all Mean?" Invited Workshop AAIM Precourse, March 2017.
Desai S. All About Me-How to Position Yourself for Professional Success: Setting the Stage for Success-Creating Your Individual Development Plan. Plenary Presenter, Alliance for Academic Internal Medicine (AAIM) Precourse, October 2016.
Desai S. All About Me-How to Position Yourself for Professional Success. Workshop-Leadership Styles-Strategies to Successfully Mix Oil and Water. Plenary Presenter, Alliance for Academic Internal Medicine (AAIM) Precourse, October 2016.
Desai S, Desai S. "How to Lead a Team." Invited Workshop, ACP National Meeting, April 2015.
Service & Committees:
- Oregon ACP Annual Meeting chair
- Graduate Medical Education Committee
- ACGME Residency Review Committee
- Association of Program Directors in Internal Medicine Program Planning Committee
- Co-Director, APDIM Chief Resident Meeting Precourse
- Liew J, Friedman M, Desai S, Taute L, Stenzel P, Wanchu A. Catastrophic Antiphospholipid Syndrome in a Patient with Systemic Sclerosis and Hereditary Angioedema: Case Report and Literature Review. Modern Rheumatology Case Reports 2017 (accepted, date pending).
- Bordley J, Agustin A, Ahmed M, Khalid R, Paluso A, Kobza B, Spaugy A, Emens J, Desai S, Khan A. Restoration of Resident Sleep and Wellness with Block Scheduling. Medical Education 2017 (accepted, date pending).
- Fine C, Kishel B, O'Glasser AY, Desai SS. A Greener Oregon: Acute Inpatient Delirium. Am J Med. 2017 Apr;130(4):423-425.
Diamond SJ, Thomas CR, Desai SS, Holliday EB, Jagsi, R, Schmitt C, Enestvedt B. Gender Difference in Publication Productivity, Academic Rank and Career Duration Among U.S. Academic Gastroenterology Faculty. Academic Medicine Aug 2016; 91(8): 1158-63.
Serota D, Halvorson S, Desai S. A Couple’s Colitis. JGIM Dec 2015; Vol 30(12): 1889-90.
Chan B, Englander H, Kent K, Desai S, Obley A, Kansagara D. Transitioning Toward Competency: A Resident-Faculty Collaborative Approach to Developing a Transitions of Care EPA in an Internal Medicine Residency Program. JGME 2014; Vol 6 (4):760-764.
Bowen JL, Eckstrom E, Desai SS, Joseph C, Newton P, Singer C. Pocket Card Tools for Geriatric Educators. (June 2004). http://www.ohsu.edu/sgimhartford/educationalresources.htm.
- Eckstrom, E., Bowen, J., Joseph, C., Desai, S., Ririe, M., Wolf, A. Collaborative Centers for Research and Education in the Care of Older Adults: Oregon Health Sciences University and the University of Virgina. SGIM Forum. 27(5): 6. May 2004.
- Hunter, AJ., Desai, SS., and Harrison, RA, Chan BC. Medical Student Evaluation of the Quality of Hospitalist and Non-Hospitalist Teaching Faculty on Inpatient Medicine Rotations. Academic Medicine 2004;79:78-82
- Embi, PJ., Desai, SS., and Cooney, TG. Use and Utility of Web-Based Residency Program Information: a Survey of Residency Applicants. J Med Internet Res 2003;25;5(3):e22.
Representative Posters & Abstracts:
- O'Glasser AY, Desai SS, Cooney TG. Healthcare Social Media(#hcsm): One Residency Program's Experience Using Twitter. Poster presented at Northwest Regional SGIM Meeting. Portland, OR. February 2017.
- Diamond S, Thomas CR, Desai S, Jagsi R, Schmidt C, Enestvedt BK. Gender Differences in Research Productivity, Academic Rank and Career Duration Among US Academic Gastroenterology Faculty. American Gastroenterology Society Meeting 2015.
- Bordley J, Desai S, Khan A, et al. Trends in Resident Sleep and Stress During MICU followed by Outpatient Clinics in a Block Schedule. American Thoracic Society International Conference 2015.
- Halvorson S, Dowhaniuk D, Desai S. Divide and Conquer: One Large Residency Program’s Approach to Efficient CCC Review. APDIM Fall National Meeting (first place-innovation award) 2015.
- Huan L, Fender E, Hendricks M, Karlapudi S, Desai S, Hunter A. Cost Utilization of Diagnostic Tests: A curricular and process intervention. National ACP Scientific Meeting May 2014.
Honors & Awards:
J. David Bristow MD Award, OHSU School of Medicine, multiple years
Faculty Teaching Award, OHSU Internal Medicine Residency Program, multiple years
Marion L. Krippaehne MD Humanism Award, OHSU Internal Medicine Residency Program, multiple years
Dr. Sima Desai is currently the Program Director for the Internal Medicine Residency Program at OHSU. She graduated from the University of New Mexico receiving her BS and BA in Biology and Chemistry, respectively. Sima graduated from the University of New Mexico School of Medicine followed by residency and Chief Residency at OHSU. She was recruited along with her co-chiefs to start the hospitalist program at OHSU and has enjoyed a career in caring for patients and teaching resident and students since that time. Her career path has ranged anywhere from being the Section Chief for the Hospitalist Division to being an Associate Program Director before landing her dream job as Program Director. Her passions are in medical education, diagnostic reasoning, mentorship, and her family.Back to Hospital Medicine Faculty Listing