Elizabeth Lahti, MD
Pre-Operative Medicine Clinic
MD: University of Illinois, Chicago, IL, 2002
BA: English and Spanish (Cum Laude), Lawrence University, Appleton WI, 1994
Chief Residency: Oregon Health & Science University, Portland, OR, 2007
Residency: Oregon Health & Science University, Portland, OR 2006
Internship: Oregon Health & Science University, Portland, OR 2004
Research & Clinical Interests:
- Narrative Medicine
- Reflective Practice
- Professional Identify Formation
- Medical Humanities
- Physician Wellness
- Director of Narrative Medicine
“Note to Self: Writing to Expand Narrative Competence.” OHSU Professionalism Week, November 2016.
“Expanding Narrative Competence in Geriatric Practice.” Oregon Geriatrics Society Annual Conference, Sunriver, OR. October 2016.
“Note to Self: Writing to Expand Narrative Competence.” Kinsman Bioethics Conference, Hood River, OR. April 2016.
“Narrative Medicine in Clinical Practice.” NW Regional Hospital Medicine Conference, Portland, OR. September 2015.
- “Beyond the History of Present Illness: How Stories Can Connect, Teach, and Heal.” OHSU Pediatric Grand Rounds, September 2015.
- “Beyond the History of Present Illness: How Stories Can Connect, Teach, and Heal.” Providence Internal Medicine Residency Spokane Lectureship in General Internal Medicine, Spokane, WA. June, 2015.
- “Beyond the History of Present Illness: How Stories Can Connect, Teach, and Heal.” OHSU Medicine Grand Rounds, March 2014.
- Lahti E. Heart. J Gen Intern Med. 2015 Mar;30(3)374-5.
- Lahti E, Dreissnack M. Building a Core Group of Interprofessional Faculty: Narrative Medicine. Presented at OHSU Symposium for Education Excellence. April 2017. (3rd place for education innovation poster)
Honors & Awards:
- 2017 OHSU Symposium on Educational Excellence, 3rd place education innovation poster
- 2017 American Medical Women's Association Exceptional Mentor Award
- 2016 Marion L. Krippaehne Humanism Award, OHSU Internal Medicine Residency Program
- 2014 OHSU Rose Award for Service Excellence
Dr. Lahti received a BA in Spanish and English Literature from Lawrence University, and she then received her medical degree from University of Illinois at Chicago. She completed her residency training and chief residency at OHSU in Portland, Oregon, and then practiced for 6 years as a community-based hospitalist before returning to OHSU in 2013. Dr. Lahti is the Director of Narrative Medicine in the OHSU School of Medicine and a co-founder of the Northwest Narrative Medicine Collaborative. She is a faculty advisor for the OHSU AMWA (American Medical Women's Association) chapter and the OHSU Women's Leadership Development Program. Her professional interests are narrative medicine, reflective practice, mentorship, and professional identity formation.
- KGW News coverage of upcoming 2017 NW Narrative Medicine Conference
- OHSU News coverage of AMWA award
- KATU News coverage of Narrative Medicine conference
- Medical Society of Metropolitan Portland article (page 4)