Avital Y. O'Glasser, MD, FACP
Assistant Medical Director, Pre-operative Medicine Clinic
Assistant Program Director, OHSU Internal Medicine Residency Program
Medicine Teaching Service & Pre-operative Medicine Clinic
MD: Jefferson Medical College (summa cum laude), Philadelphia, PA, 2007
BA: University of Chicago, Biological Sciences, Chicago, IL, 2003
Residency: Oregon Health & Science University, Portland, OR, 2010
Internship: Oregon Health & Science University, Portland, OR, 2008
Clinical & Research Interests:
- Peri-operative medicine
- Peri-operative medicine education for internal medicine residents
- Quality improvement
- Medical education
- History of medicine
- Resident scholarship and abstract writing
- Physician use of twitter (#hcsm)
- Pre-operative Medicine Clinic, resident rotations
- Assistant Program Director for Social Media and Scholarship
Service & Committees:
- OHSU Women in Academic Medicine Committee
- Oregon Chapter ACP, Governor's Council
- Oregon Chapter ACP, faculty co-chair, Council of Residents and Fellows (CORF)
- Oregon Chapter ACP, co-chair, Council of Women Physicians (CWP)
- SGIM Forum Editorial Board
- NW SGIM, annual meeting committee
- OHSU Comprehensive Joint Replacement committee
O'Glasser AY, Taylor CC, Hunter AJ. Beyond the Algorithm: Implementation of a Hospitalist-led Pre-operative Clinic Assessment Before Cardiac Surgery. Perioperative Care and Operating Room Management 8(2017):1-4.
Clark A, O'Glasser AY. See it, Snap it, Share it: The Value of Clinical Images. SGIM Forum 40(7):4.
O'Glasser AY. Adding to the Medical Education Literature: A Book Review of "Writing Case Reports: A Practical Guide from Conception through Publication". SGIM Forum 40 (5): 6, 15-16.
Fine C, Kishel B, O'Glasser AY, Desai SS. A Greener Oregon: Acute Inpatient Delirium. Am J Med. 2017 Apr;130(4):423-425.
O'Glasser AY. Piecing Together the Past. SGIM Forum;39(9):4.
O'Glasser AY, Kent CM. Misdirected by a Mass: Syphilis. Am J Med. 2016 Apr;129(4)379-81.
O'Glasser AY, Milas KM. Horner's, Heterochromia, and Harlequins. J Gen Intern Med. 2016 Jan;31(1):137.
- O'Glasser AY, Mansoor A. "If you prick us, do we not bleed?": An uncommon cause of xanthochromia. J Gen Intern Med. 2015 Jun;30(6):853-4.
- O'Glasser AY. The Unknown Unknowns. 2014 SGIM Forum;37(11):9.
- O'Glasser AY, Sauerwein RR.
Recurrent Melanoma Presenting as a Very Large Cardiac Mass with Concurrent
Pancreatic Involvement. 2014 JGIM. 29(11):1557-8.
Representative Poster Presentations:
Fang M, O'Glasser AY, Johnson K, Pfeifer K, Kuperman E. Development of a National Perioperative Medicine Curriculum: Results from a Multicenter Work Group from Leaders in Perioperative Medicine. Presented at National SGIM meeting, April 2017.
Shangraw S, Shangraw K, Matsler N, O'Glasser AY. Dispensing Our Bias: A Pilot Quality Improvement Study on Recreational Cannabis. Presented at National ACP, March 2017.
O'Glasser AY, Desai SS, Cooney TG. Healthcare Social Media(#hcsm): One Residency Program's Experience Using Twitter. Poster presented at Northwest Regional SGIM Meeting. Portland, OR. February 2017.
O'Glasser AY, Harmon D, Axley MS, Kahl EA. "Cervical Stenosis before Cardiac Surgery." Poster presented at the Perioperative Medicine Summit, Scottsdale, AZ, 2/2016.
O'Glasser AY, Taylor C. "Beyond the Algorithm: Hospitalist-led Pre-operative Medicine Evaluation before Cardiac Surgery". Poster presented at the Perioperative Medicine Summit, Scottsdale, AZ, 2/2016.
O'Glasser AY, Taylor C. "Developing a Pre-Operative Medicine Curriculum for Internal Medicine Residents". Poster presented at the Perioperative Medicine Summit, Scottsdale, AZ, 2/2016.
O'Glasser AY, Dawson K. "Less is not Always More: An Unusual Case of Beta-Blocker Withdrawal". Poster presented at the Perioperative Medicine Summit, Scottsdale, AZ, 2/2016.
Honors & Awards:
- 2017 NW Regional SGIM, Excellence in Leadership Award
- 2016 Oregon ACP, Early Career Physicians Award
Dr. O'Glasser received her AB in Biology at the University of Chicago, where she discovered her passion for the practice of medicine. She then attended Jefferson Medical College in Philadelphia, earning her MD degree in 2007. She made the transcontinental trek to Portland, OR, for her internal medicine residency at OHSU, and she has excitedly been an enthusiastic citizen of the Pacific Northwest ever since. Upon graduating from residency in 2010, she joined the teaching faculty within OHSU's Division of Hospital Medicine. She has continued to supervise residents and care for patients on the inpatient Medicine Teaching Service, plus she has had an expanding role in the Pre-Operative Medicine Clinic since joining the faculty. She is now the Assistant Medical Director of the Pre-Op Clinic, plus she recently became an Assistant Program Director for the residency program. Clinical and research interests include peri-operative medicine and quality improvement, social media for physicians, history of medicine, and case report writing. When not at OHSU, she enjoys genealogy research, cooking, gardening, knitting, hiking, and spending time with her husband and two children.
- AAIM Member Spotlight
- OHSU News 2017 National ACP student coverage
- OHSU News 2015 Oregon ACP student coverage
- OHSU News 2015 National ACP student coverage