Alan J. Hunter, MD, FACP
Associate Professor of Medicine
Head of Division of Hospital Medicine
Director of Medicine Hospitalist Programs
Associate Residency Program Director
Medicine Teaching Service
MD: University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences, Little Rock AR, 1991
BA: University of Michigan, Economics, Ann Arbor, MI, 1982
Chief Residency: Oregon Health & Science University, Portland, OR 1995
Residency: Oregon Health & Science University, Portland, OR, 1994
Internship: University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences, Little Rock AR, 1992
History of Medicine
Representative Publications (Non-Education):
- 2012 Miyashita J, Shimada T, Hunter A, Kamiya T. The impact of hyponatremia and the syndrome of inappropriate antidiuresis in elderly patients with aspiration pneumonia: a retrospective study. J Hosp Med. Accepted March 7, 2012, (Publication date pending).
- 2012 Halvorson SAC, Ricker, M, Barker A, Sukumar M, Harrison, R, Patton P, Hunter A. 'Thoracic endometriosis unmasked by ovarian hyperstimulation for in vitro fertilization'. Accepted Nov 23, 2011; Publication Date Pending (J Gen Intern Med).
- 2011 Halvorson SAC, Cedfeldt AS, Hunter AJ. Fulminant, Non-Antibiotic Associated Clostridium difficile Colitis Following Salmonella Gastroenteritis. J Gen Intern Med 2011; 26(1):95–7.
- 2008 Lo J, Lo J, Hunter AJ, “String of Pearls”. (Image & Vignette). J Hospital Medicine 2008;3(3):272-273.
- 2007 Lo JO, Harrison RA, Hunter AJ; Syphilitic Hepatitis Resulting In Fulminant Hepatic Failure Requiring Liver Transplantation. J Infection 2007;54(3):e115-17.
- 2007 Harrison RA, Vu T, Hunter AJ; Wernicke's Encephalopathy in a Patient with Schizophrenia. J Gen Intern Med. 2006;21(12):C8-C11.
Representative Publications (Education):
- 2011 Harrison R, Hunter AJ, Sharpe B, Auerbach AD. Survey of U.S academic hospitalist leaders about mentorship and academic activities in hospitalist groups. J Hosp Med. Accepted for publication Apr 2010. J Hosp Med. 2011;6:5–9. (Lead paper; with linked Editorial by Wiese & Centor; Interviewed & quoted in SHM The Hospitalist, Jan 19, 2011).
- 2009 Smith MEB, Desai SS, Allen ES, Saha S, Hunter AJ. Impact of Shorter Inpatient Faculty Teaching. Rotations on Resident Learning Experience. The American Journal of Medicine, 2009;122(1): 96-100.
- 2008 Eckstrom E, Desai SS, Hunter AJ, Allen ES, Tanner CE, Lucas LM, Joseph CL, Ririe MR, Doak MN, Humphrey LL, Bowen JL., Aiming to Improve Care of Older Adults: An Innovative Faculty Development Workshop. J Gen Intern Med. 2008 Jul;23(7):1053-6.
- 2006 Haney EM, Nicolaidis C, Hunter A, Chan BKS, Cooney TG, Bowen JL; Relationship Between Resident Workload and Self-perceived Learning on Inpatient Medicine Wards: A Longitudinal Study. BMC Medical Education. 2006, 6:35 (06 Jul 2006) May 2006.
- 2004 Hunter AJ, Desai SS, Harrison RA, Chan BCK; Medical Student Evaluation of the Quality of Hospitalist and Non-Hospitalist Teaching Faculty on Inpatient Medicine Rotations. Academic Medicine. 79 (1):78-82, 2004.