Division of GIM Geriatrics Fellowship
The Department of Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Legacy Health system, Kaiser Permanente Portland, Providence Medical Center and the Division of General Internal Medicine and Geriatrics at Oregon Health & Science University together offer a one-year ACGME accredited clinical Fellowship in Geriatric Medicine. We also offer an optional second year of specialized geriatrics training in research or a major clinical aspect of geriatrics, e.g. dementia. Masters programs within OHSU are another option for academically bound Fellows.
OHSU Geriatrics Fellows rotate through numerous clinical settings within the cities of Portland and Vancouver thus experiencing the systems-based practices of the VA, OHSU, Legacy Healthcare System and Providence Healthcare System as well as private facilities and an option for a Kaiser longitudinal experience.
Geriatric evaluation and management services consist of Geriatric Assessment and Primary Care Clinics, a 72-bed VA Community Living Center/Subacute Unit, a 10-bed geriatric rehabilitation unit, and a home-hospital program.
In addition, Geriatrics Fellows learn the consultative roles within Geriatric Assessment Clinic, Geriatric Falls Clinic, Geropsychiatry, and other specialty clinics.
A longitudinal nursing home experience is provided in a community setting with Fellowship faculty. Additional educational components include Hospice, Program for All Inclusive Care of the Elderly (PACE), and acute inpatient settings and elective rotations.
There are additional opportunities to train with geriatricians in the community. Fellows learn the principles of interdisciplinary assessment, management and rehabilitation of elderly patients with complex medical, psychological and socioeconomic problems.
Our geriatric program offers opportunities for the Fellow to teach housestaff and other health care professionals. Internal Medicine residents are assigned to our teaching service throughout the year.
It is the philosophy of this program that critical thinking is an essential element of the Fellowship. Each Fellow is assigned a career mentor and research project mentor. This is to provide coaching in career development, critical thinking, and research and/or educational methods.
- Geriatrics Fellows Conference: a weekly review of topics essential to the field of geriatric medicine including the biology, psychology and clinical aspects of care of the elderly.
- Once Monthly Journal Club: a review of selected recent literature dealing with specific problems (pathophysiologic, diagnostic, or therapeutic) that apply to geriatrics are reviewed once monthly by the Fellows and faculty with an emphasis on the critical assessment of the presented study.
- Fellows are encouraged to attend Department of Medicine conferences, which include Noon Report and Noon Conference, weekly Grand Rounds, and Clinical Case Conferences.
- Tuesday Noon Palliative Care Conferences.
- Research Methods: Fellows have the option to apply to the OHSU Human Investigations Program (HIP) as a second year general medicine fellow.
OHSU/Portland VA Medical Center Geriatrics Faculty
Amy Earhart, MD
Elizabeth Eckstrom, MD, MPH
Director of Geriatrics, Division of GIM & Geriatrics, OHSU
Sarah Goodlin, MD, FACC, FAAHPM
Chief of Geriatrics, Portland VAMC
Rima Jallad, MD
Hospice/Palliative Care Medical Director CLC
Lisa Miura, MD
Craig Tanner, MD
Nora Tobin, MD
Director-Palliative Medicine & Hospice Fellowship
Mark Traines, MD, AGSF
Foy White-Chu, MD
How to Apply
We welcome the interest of Internal Medicine and Family Medicine residents in our program. We require that the applicant have graduated from an ACGME accredited residency program. In order to apply for the geriatric medicine fellowship, please apply via the Electronic Residency Application Service (ERAS).
Please send any and all inquiries to:
Foy White-Chu, MD
Program Director, Geriatric Fellowship
Dept. of Veterans Affairs Medical Center (P3-GERI)
3710 SW US Veterans Hospital Road
P.O. Box 1034
Portland, OR 97239
Phone: 503 220-8262 ext. 56245
FAX: 503 721-7807