Mary E. Pickett, M.D.
Mary E. Pickett, M.D.
Associate Professor of Medicine
Division of General Internal Medicine and Geriatrics
Education and Training
B.A. - Stanford University, 1989
M.D. - University of California, 1994
Internship and Residency:
Intern - Primary Care Internal Medicine, 1995
Resident - Primary Care Internal Medicine, 1997
Chief Resident - Internal Medicine, 1998
Dr. Pickett attended college at Stanford University and completed medical school, primary care internal medicine residency and chief residency at the University of California, San Francisco. Prior to coming to OHSU, she practiced at Brigham and Women's Hospital in Boston. She is board certified in internal medicine. In addition to her clinical work in Oregon, Pickett is a Harvard University faculty member and is a senior medical editor for Harvard Health Publications. Pickett's professional interests include drug interactions, primary care of adult patients, iron deficiency and other nutrition concerns and teaching. In her free time Pickett enjoys family activities, the outdoors, crafts and cooking. She is the mother of three children.
Diplomate, American Board of Internal Medicine, 1997
Diplomate, National Board of Medical Examiners, 1995
General Internal Medicine; Consumer health information; Education of medical students and residents; Neurologic Effects of Iron Deficiency; Nutrition; Polypharmacy / medication interactions; Orthopedic medicine (sports medicine)
Grants and Contracts
- Senior Medical Editor, Harvard Health Publications, 2007-present
- Senior Editor of Internet Publications, Harvard Health Publications, 2005-2007
- Core Editor and Core Editorial Board Member, 2001-2005
- Harvard Medical School/InteliHealth Collaboration
- Harvard Health Publications of Harvard Medical School
- Contractual work for Harvard Health Publications
Fromme E, Farber N, Babbott S, Pickett M, and Beasley B. "What Do You Do When Your Loved One Is Ill? The Line between Physician and Family Member," Annals Int Med, Vol 149 No 11, Dec 2, 2008, pp825-829.
Pickett M and Hillson S, "Interactive Tools in Workshops: The Power of Getting Beyond Powerpoint," SGIM Forum, Vol 26 No 10, Oct 2003, pp1,5.
Patient Care Locations
OHSU Internal Medicine Clinic, Physicians Pavilion
My teaching activities target three levels of learner experience: learners who have completed or are completing post-graduate training in Internal Medicine, learners in medical school, and the general public. I greatly enjoy the wide variations in expected language, content and detail that is required of me as an educator by these different groups.
Peer Reviewed Abstracts
- Bensching K, A DiPiero, E Haney, J Hardman, L Lucas, M Pickett, C Sprague, S Desai. "Redesigning the Ambulatory Curriculum in a 3+1 Model," Curriculum design abstract and poster presentation at 2012 Association of Program Directors in Internal Medicine (APDIM) Spring Meeting: Atlanta, GA, April 24-25, 2012. (abstract accepted, poster presentation invited/pending)
- Bensching K, A DiPiero, E Haney, J Hardman, L Lucas, M Pickett, C Sprague, S Desai. "Redesigning the Ambulatory Curriculum in a 3+1 Model," Curriculum design abstract and poster presentation at 2012 Society of General Internal Medicine Northwest Regional Meeting: Seattle, WA, February 3, 2012. (abstract accepted, poster presentation invited/pending)
- Flythe, J and Pickett M. An unusual predisposition to rhabdomyolysis: inherited mitochondrial enzyme deficiency. Clinical vignette abstract and poster presentation at Oregon Chapter of American College of Physicians: Eugene, OR, November 15, 2007. 3rd place prize.
- Pickett, M, "Delayed Consequences of Congenital Rubella Syndrome," Clinical Vignettes Section, JGIM 2000; 15(Supp 1):193.
- Tishler LW; AHM Chen; ME Pickett; JS Sillman "An innovative Approach to a Consistent Ambulatory Curriculum for Medical Interns." JGIM 2000; 15(Supp 1):22
- Ambulatory Curriculum Redesign, OHSU Internal Medicine ResidencyChair, Ambulatory Practice Management Curriculum Committee, 2001
- EPIC Transition: Coordinated informal resident training for new electronic medical record, OHSU Outpatient Clinics, 2005-2006
- Senior Medicine Clerkships Tutorial, Department of Medicine, OHSU, 2000-2006