M.E. Beth Smith, D.O.
M.E. Beth Smith, D.O.
Assistant Professor of Medicine
Division of General Internal Medicine and Geriatrics
Education and Training
BSc – University of Toronto, 1985; BHScPT – McMaster University, 1989
DO – Touro College of Osteopathic Medicine
Internal Medicine, Oregon Health and Science University
Dr. Smith obtained her medical degree from Touro University College of Osteopathic Medicine in Vallejo, California in 2002. She completed her residency training in Internal Medicine at OHSU in 2005. Her undergraduate education was at the University of Toronto, followed by training in Physical Therapy at McMaster University in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Prior to attending medical school, Dr. Smith worked for nine years as a Physical Therapist and brings with her a continued interest in health promotion, sports medicine and medical orthopedics. When not seeing patients you will likely find Dr. Smith enjoying the outdoors either cycling, running, hiking, or traveling to a remote area of wilderness.
Pressure Ulcer Treatment Strategies – A Comparative Effectiveness Review Medications to Reduce Risk for Primary Breast Cancer – Comparative utility of risk assessment tools.
Recent Research Projects
PI: Beth Smith, DO
Submitted through EPC (The Pacific Northwest Evidence-based Practice Center)
AHRQ (Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality
Title: Diagnosis and Treatment of Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
The purpose of this project is to conduct a systematic review of the scientific literature on the diagnosis and treatment of ME/CFS, answering specific key questions for the NIH Office of Disease Prevention.
- Burda BU, Norris SL, Holmer HK, Ogden LA, Smith MEB. Quality varies across clinical practice guidelines for mammography screening in women aged 40-49 years as assessed by AGREE and AMSTAR instruments. J Clin Epidem. 2011;64:968-976
- Smith MEB, Peterson K, Thukata S, McDonagh M, Fu R. Drug Class Review. Drugs to treat fibromyalgia. Drug Effectiveness Review Project. April, 2011
- Nelson HD, Fu R, Griffin J, Nygren P, Smith MEB, Humphrey L. Systematic Review: Comparative Effectiveness of Medications to Reduce Risk for Primary Breast Cancer. Annals of Int Med. November, 2009.
- Smith MEB, Chou R, Deyo RA. Low back Pain. In The Patient History. McGraw Hill. 2012. In press
- M.E. Beth Smith, DO, Sima S. Desai, MD, Elizabeth S. Allen, MD, Somnath Saha, MD, MPH, Alan J. Hunter, MD. Impact of Shorter Inpatient Faculty Rotations on Resident learning Experience. Amer J Medicine. January, 2009.
Musculoskeletal medicine, preventive healthcare
American Board of Internal Medicine
Patient Care Locations
General Internal Medicine Clinic, Physicians Pavilion
Musculoskeletal workshops; Evidence-based medicine
Comparative effectiveness research and Evidence-based medicine