Joseph Hardman, M.D.
Joseph Hardman, M.D.
Assistant Professor of Medicine
Associate Program Director for Internal Medicine Residency Program
Division of General Internal Medicine and Geriatrics
Education and Training
Undergraduate and Graduate:
B.S. - Physiological Science, University of California, San Diego, 1997
M.D. - University of California, San Diego School of Medicine, 2003
Primary Care Internal Medicine Residency - Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, 2006
Chief Residency, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Cetner, harvard Medical School, 2007
Fellowship in Integrative Medicine, University of Arizona, 2010
Dr. Hardman received his BS in Physiological Science from UCLA and his medical degree from UCSD. He completed his residency and chief residency at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center in Boston, MA. In addition to his clinical practice at OHSU, Dr. Hardman is Associate Program Director for the Internal Medicine Residency Program and the medical director of the OHSU Internal Medicine resident practice. His clinical and research interests include integrative/lifestyle medicine, nutrition and disease prevention, medical education, and substance abuse. He enjoys hiking, cooking, music, photography, and spending time with his family.
- American Board of Internal Medicine, Diplomate, 2006
- United States Medical Licensing Examiners, Diplomate, 2005
- Advanced Cardiac Life Support and Basic Life Support, Certificate, 2007
Honors and Awards
- 2011-OHSU Chief Resident Faculty Award
- 2010-OHSU Internal Medicine Practice Excellence in Education Award
- 2009-OHSU Internal Medicine Practice Excellence in Education Award
- 2009-OHSU Internal Medicine Housestaff Teaching Award
- 2009-David E. Rogers Junior Faculty Education Award, Society of General Internal Medicine
- 2003-Arnold P. Gold Foundation: The Leonard Tow Humanism in Medicine Award
- Medical Education
- Integrative Medicine
- Substance Abuse
Selected PublicationsScott CS, Morris M, Francovich C, Tivis R, Bush R, Sanders SS, Graham J, Niven A, Kai M, Knight C, Hardman J, Caverzagie K, Iobst W. "A Multisite, Multistakeholder Validation of the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education Competencies," Academic Medicine, 2013; 88 (7)
Nedrow A, Steckler N, Hardman J. "Physician Resilience and Burnout; Can You Make the Switch," Family Practice Management. 2013: 25-30
Muench J, Jarvis K, Boverman J, Hardman J, Hayes M, Winkle J. "Tilling the Soil While Sowing the Seeds: Combining Resident Education with Medical Home Transformation," Substance Abuse. 2012;33(3):282-5.
- Implementation of a "Screening, Brief Intervention, and Referral to Treatment" curriculum for all residents in the Ambulatory block, OHSU 2009-present
- Development of an Integrative Medicine curriculum for Internal Medicine residents, OHSU 2009-present
- Development of the Practice Management curriculum during the pre-clinic conference series—emphasizing practice-based learning and system-based practice within the Internal Medicine resident clini, 2007-present