Elizabeth Haney, M.D.
Associate Professor of Medicine
OHSU Division of General Internal Medicine and Geriatrics
Director, Samuel L. Wise General Internal Medicine Fellowship
Education and Training
B.S. in Biology from Santa Clara University
M.D. from Georgetown University, School of Medicine
Primary Care Program, Oregon Health & Science University, 2000
Chief Residency, Medicine, Oregon Health & Science University, 2001
Samuel L. Wise Fellow, General Internal Medicine, Oregon Health & Science University, 2004
Dr. Haney completed medical school at Georgetown University in 1997 and came to OHSU for her residency and to complete a fellowship program. She has a general internal medicine primary care practice and an osteoporosis clinic. Haney is board certified in internal medicine. Her research interests include osteoporosis and depression. She enjoys teaching residents in the outpatient and inpatient settings, and spending time with her husband and two daughters.
- National Board of Medical Examiners, 1998
- American Board of Internal Medicine, 2000
- International Society of Clinical Densitometry, 2007
Current Research Projects
- Evaluation of Internal Medicine 3+1 Curricular Redesign
- Clinical Implications of Serotonin in Bone
- Understanding Vitamin D and PTH levels in Men
- Systematic Review of Suicide Risk Factors and Risk Assessment Tools
- Haney EM, Stadler D, Bliziotes M. Vitamin D Insufficiency Among Housestaff. Calcified Tissue International. 2005; 76: 11-16. Published on line October, 2004 (DOI: 10.1007/s00223-004-0025-0).
- Nelson HD, Haney E, Humphrey L, Miller J, Nedrow A, Nicolaidis C, Vesco K, Walker M, Bougatsos C, Nygren P. Management of Menopause-Related Symptoms. Evidence Report/Technology Assessment No. 120. (Prepared by the Oregon Evidence-based Practice Center, under contract No. 290-02-0024.) AHRQ Publication No. 05-E016-2. Rockville, MD: Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality. March 2005.
- Nelson HD, Vesco K, Haney E, Fu R, Nedrow A, Miller J, Nicolaidis C, Walker M, Humphrey L. Nonhormonal Therapies for Menopausal Hot Flashes: Systematic Review and Meta-analysis. JAMA. 2006: 295(17):2057-2071.
- Haney EM, Huffman LH, Bougatsos C, Freeman M, Fu R, Steiner RD, Helfand M, Nelson HD. Screening for Dyslipidemia in Children. Prepared by the Oregon Evidence-based Practice Center under contract No. 290-02-0024, Task Order 2. Rockville, MD: Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality. Web publication, http://www.ahrq.gov/clinic/uspstf/uspstopics.htm.
- Haney E, Hunter A, Chan B, Cooney T, Bowen J. Inpatient Resident Workload and Learning: How Are They Related? BMC Medical Education. July 2006. 6(6):35.
- Bowen JL, Eckstrom E, Muller M, Haney E. Enhancing the Effectiveness of One-Minute Preceptor Faculty Development Workshops. Teaching and Learning in Medicine. Winter 2006; 18(1):35-41.
- Haney EM, Bliziotes MM. Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors and Bone Health. Future Rheumatology. April 2007. 2(2): 213-222.
- Haney EM, Chan BKS, Lambert L, Cauley J, Ensrud K, Orwoll E and Bliziotes MM. Association of Low Bone Mineral Denisty With Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitor User by Older Men. Archives of Internal Medicine. June 25, 2007. 167(12):1246-1251.
- Diem SJ, Blackwell TL, Stone KL, Yaffe K, Haney E, Bliziotes M, Ensrud K. Use of Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors and Tricyclic Antidepressants and Rates of Bone Loss at the Hip in Older Women. Archives of Internal Medicine. June 25, 2007. 167(12):1240-1245.
- Haney EM, Huffman LH, Bougatsos C, Freeman M, Steiner RD, Nelson HD. Screening and Treatment for Lipid Disorders in Children. Pediatrics. July 2007. 120: e189-e214.
- Vesco K, Haney E, Humphrey L, Fu R, Nelson H. Influence of Menopause on Mood: A Systematic Review of Cohort Studies. Climacteric. Dec 2007. 10(6): 448-65.
- Warden S and Haney EM. Skeletal Effects of Serotonin (5-hydroxytryptamine) transporter inhibition: Evidence from in vitro and animal-based studies. Journal of Musculoskeletal and Neuronal Interactions. 2008. 8(2):126-137.
- Haney EM and Warden S. Skeletal Effects of Serotonin (5-hydroxytryptamine) transporter inhibition: evidence from clinical studies. Journal of Musculoskeletal and Neuronal Interactions. 2008; 8(2):138-150.
- Haney EM and Bliziotes MM. Osteoporosis in Men: New Insights in an Understudied Disease. Current Opinion in Rheumatology. 2008; 20:423-28.
- Warden SJ, Robling AG, Haney EM, Turner CH and Bliziotes MM. The emerging role of serotonin (5-hydroxytryptamine) in the skeleton and its mediation of the skeletal effects of low-density lipoprotein receptor-related protein 5 (LRP5). Bone. 2010; 46:4-12.
- Haney EM, Warden SJ and Bliziotes MM. The Effects of Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors on Bone Health in Adults: Time for Recommendations about Screening, Prevention and Management? Bone. 2010; 46:13-17.
- Smith MEB, Lee NJ, Haney E, Carson S. Drug class review: HMG-CoA reductase inhibitors (statins) and Fixed-dose Combination Products Containing a Statin. Update 5. Nov 2009,
- Nelson HD, Haney EM, Dana T, Bougatsos C, Chou R. Screening for Osteoporosis: Systematic review to update the 2002 U.S. Preventive Services Task Force Recommendation. (Prepared by Oregon Evidence-based Practice Center under Contract No. 290-2007-10057-I) Rockville, MD: Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality. July 2010. AHRQ Publication No. 10-05145-EF-1. http://www.ahrq.gov/clinic/uspstf10/osteoporosis/osteoes.pdf.
- Nelson HD, Haney EM, Chou R, Dana T, Bougatsos C. Screening for Osteoporosis: Systematic Evidence Review Update for the U.S. Preventive Services Task Force. Ann Intern Med. 2010; 153(2): 99-111. First published July 5, 2010 on annals.org.
- Diem S, Blackwell TL, Stone KL, Cauley JA, Hillier TA, Haney EM, Ensrud KE. Use of Antidepressant Medications and Risk of Fractures in Older Women. Calcified Tissue International. April 2011. DOI: 10.1007/s00223-011-9481-5.
- Colon-Emeric C, O'Connell MB, Haney E. The Osteoporosis Piece of the Multi-Morbidity Puzzle. Mt. Sinai Journal of Medicine. July/Aug 2011. 78(4): 515-526.
- Haney E. Balancing bone health and mental health: a new clinical dilemma? (editorial) Expert Opinion in Endocrinology & Metabolism. 2008. 3(1):1-3.
- Weaver C and Haney E. Nutritional Basis of Skeletal Growth In Osteoporosis in Men: The Effects of Gender on Skeletal Health, 2nd edition. Ed: E Orwoll, J. Bilezikian and D. Vanderschueren. Elsevier. Dec 2009.
Osteoporosis, geriatrics, obesity, behavior change, medical education and inter-professional education, evidence-based medicine
Patient Care Locations
- Chair, Ambulatory Editorial Board (oversees the ambulatory curriculum for Internal Medicine residents)Preceptor, Internal Medicine IMC residency continuity clinic (clinical teaching 2 half-days per week)Core Preceptor, Internal Medicine Residency Program, OHSU IMC (contributes to oversight of the OHSU residency clinical practice)
- Director, Samuel F. Wise Fellowship in General Internal Medicine, OHSU
- Vice-Chair, Institutional Review Board (IRB)