Violence and Abuse
OHSU faculty members are engaged in numerous projects to understand the relationship between violence and health and to improve the healthcare of violence survivors.
Selected Research Projects
The Interconnections Project
PI: Christina Nicolaidis, MD, MPH
Funding: National Institute of Mental Health (R21MH082139-01 and K23MH073008) and Northwest Health Foundation - Kaiser Permanente Community Fund
Partnering Organizations: Bradley Angle House, Portland State University
The goal of the Interconnections Project is to use a Community-Based Participatory Research (CBPR) Approach to develop and test a community-based depression care model for African-American and Latina intimate partner violence survivors.
Partnering with People with Developmental Disabilities to Address Interpersonal Violence
PI: Rosemary Hughes, PhD; OHSU Co-PI: Christina Nicolaidis, MD, MPH
Funding: Centers for Disease Control / Association of University Centers on Disabilities.
Partnering Organizations: University of Minnesota, Portland State University, Autistic Self Advocacy Network, Self Advocates as Leaders, People First, Summit Independent Living Centers
This observational study uses a CBPR approach to assess the association between interpersonal violence, disability, and health in adults with developmental disabilities.
The Voices of Survivors Project
PI: Christina Nicolaidis, MD, MPH
Funding: Robert Wood Johnson Foundation and Northwest Health Foundation
This community-engaged project used qualitative interviews with domestic violence survivors to create an educational documentary for healthcare providers. Evaluation of the program in over 30 primary care clinics found significant increases in healthcare workers' knowledge, skills, and empathy toward patients in abusive relationships. The documentary is available online or as a free DVD from Futures Without Violence. Click here [n1] for a copy of the Attitudes Towards Survivors of Intimate Partner Violence Scale that was developed as a part of the project. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for permission to adapt the scale or use it in a research project.
- Choo, E., Nicolaidis, C, Hall, M.K., Newgard, C., Lowe, R.A., McConnell, K.J. "The Association Between Emergency Department Resources and Diagnosis of Intimate Partner Violence." European Journal of Emergency Medicine. 2012. 19(2)83-8. (PMID 22391615)
- Nicolaidis, C. "Violence and Poor Mental Health and Functional Outcomes." BMJ 2011;343:bmj.d7311. (PMID:22094318)
- Nicolaidis, C., Perez, M., Mejia, A., Alvarado, A., Celaya-Alston, R., Galian, H,, Hilde, A. "'Guardarse las cosas adentro' (keeping things inside): Latina violence survivors' perceptions of depression." Journal of General Internal Medicine. 2011:26(10):1131–7. (PMID: 21626052)
- Nicolaidis, C., Timmons, V., Thomas, M.J., Waters, A.S., Wahab, S., Mejia, A., Mitchell, S.R. "'You don't go tell white people nothing': African-American women discuss the influence of violence and race on depression and depression care." American Journal of Public Health. 2010:100(8):1470-6. (PMID: 20558811)
- Choo, E, Nicolaidis, C., Jenkinson, R.H., Cox, J.M., McConnell, K.J. "Failure of Intimate Partner Violence Screening Among Patients with Substance Use Disorders." Academic Emergency Medicine, 2010(17):1–4. (PMID:20670328)
- Fisher, JW, Weil, A., Nicolaidis, C. Addressing Intimate Partner Violence in Clinical Settings. Practical Gynecology: A Guide for the Primary Care Physician. 2009. American College of Physicians, Philadelphia, PA. Pp. 487-506.
- Nicolaidis, C. McFarland, B., Curry, M.A., Gerrity, M. "Differences in physical and mental health symptoms and mental health utilization associated with intimate partner violence vs. child abuse." Psychosomatics. 2009:50(4)340-346. (PMID: 19687174).
- Nicolaidis, C., Liebshutz, J. "Chronic Physical Symptoms In Survivors of Violence." C. Mitchell, D. Anglin (eds.), Intimate Partner Violence: A Bio-Psycho-Social Approach. 2009. Oxford University Press. Pages 19-29.
- Nicolaidis, C., Paranjape, A. "Defining Intimate Partner Violence: Controversies and Implications." C. Mitchell, D. Anglin (eds.), Intimate Partner Violence: A Bio-Psycho-Social Approach. 2009. Oxford University Press. Pages 133-145.
- Nicolaidis, C., Gregg, J., Galian, H., Curry, MA, McFarland, B., Gerrity, M. "You always end up feeling like you're some hypochondriac": Intimate partner violence survivors' experiences addressing depression and pain. Journal of General Internal Medicine. 2008;23(8)1157-63. (PMID 18443884)
- Nicolaidis, C. "Partner interference with health care: do we want one more piece of a complex puzzle?" Journal of General Internal Medicine, 2007;22:1216-17. (PMID:17597351)
- Nicolaidis, C., Touhouliotis, V. "Addressing intimate partner violence in primary care: lessons from chronic illness management". Violence and Victims. 2006;21(1)101-116. (PMID:16494136)
- Winkle, J., Nicolaidis, C., "Lessons about Recruiting Primary Care Practices to Domestic Violence Trainings." Family Violence Prevention and Health Practice. 2005; 1(2).
- Nicolaidis C., Curry M.A., Gerrity M. Measuring the impact of the Voices of Survivors program on healthcare workers' attitudes towards survivors of intimate partner violence. Journal of General Internal Medicine. 2005;20:731-737. (PMID: 16050883)
- Nicolaidis, C., Curry, M.A., Gerrity, M. "Health care workers' expectations of & empathy toward patients in abusive relationships" Journal of the American Board of Family Practice. 2005; 18:159-65. (PMID: 15879562)
- Nicolaidis, C. "Intimate Partner Violence: a practical guide for primary care clinicians." Women's Health In Primary Care, 2004; 7(7): 349-362.
- Nicolaidis C., Curry M.A., Gerrity M., McFarland B. Violence, Mental Health and Physical Symptoms in an Academic Internal Medicine Practice. Journal of General Internal Medicine. 2004;19:815-823. (PMID: 15242466)
- Nicolaidis, C., Curry, M.A., Urlich, Y., Sharps, P., McFarlane, J., Campbell, D., Gary, F., Laughon, K., Glass, N., Campbell, J. "Could we have known? A qualitative analysis of data from women who survived an attempted homicide by an intimate partner." Journal of General Internal Medicine, 2003; 18(10): 788-794. (PMID:14521640)
- Nicolaidis, C. "The Voices of Survivors documentary: Using patient narrative to educate physicians about domestic violence." Journal of General Internal Medicine. 2002; 17:117-124. (PMID:11841527)