HIV and AIDS Research
HIV AND AIDS RESEARCH
The OHSU HIV Research Program has several ongoing HIV health services and translational research projects underway. To date, most research tends to focus at the instersection of HIV and addiction care and prevention. Local research benefits from active participation in several national research collaborations.
Selected Research Projects
HIV Research Network
National PI: Richard Moore, MD; Local PI: Todd Korthuis, MD
This is a national multi-site cohort study of HIV-infected patients to assess trends in HIV outcomes and utilization over time. A sub-study (Enhancing Communication and HIV Outcomes—ECHO) assessed patient-provider communication associations with substance abuse and race/ethnicity.
Portland Integrates Care for Opioid Dependent HIV/AIDS Patients (PICODAP)
PI: Todd Korthuis, MD
PICODAP is one of 11 sites in the national Buprenorphine and HIV Care Evaluation and Support Initiative (BHIVES), an evaluation to assess the impact of integrating buprenorphine treatment of opioid dependence into HIV care on HIV and substance abuse related outcomes.
Integrating Hepatitis C Treatment to Improve HIV Care
PI: Todd Korthuis, MD
This is a Ryan White Title III HIV Capacity Development and Planning Grant, to develop the infrastructure of the OHSU HIV clinic to make Hepatitis C treatment available for co-infected patients.
HIV Testing and Counseling in STD Clinics: An Adaptation of CTN0032
PI: Lisa Metsch, PhD; Site PI: Todd Korthuis, MD
Funding: NIDA National
This is a multi-center randomized controlled trial to assess the effectiveness of on-site rapid HIV testing with brief vs. extended prevention counseling in improving receipt of HIV results in STI clinics. Secondary outcomes will include self-reported HIV sexual behaviors and drug use.
HIV Rapid Testing and Counseling in Drug Abuse Treatment Programs in the U.S. (CTN 0032)National PI: Lisa Metsch, PhD; Site PI: Todd Korthuis, MD
This is a multi-center randomized controlled trial to assess the relative effectiveness of 3 strategies for increasing receipt of HIV testing in substance abuse treatment centers: 1) on-site rapid HIV testing with brief prevention counseling, 2) on-site rapid HIV testing, and 3) referral for off-site HIV testing. Secondary outcomes will include self-reported HIV sexual behaviors and drug use.
Quality Outcomes for Patients with Drug Abuse and HIV
PI: Todd Korthuis, MD
The purpose of this career development award is to further my development as a clinician researcher. Specific aims are to (1) determine the effect of access to drug abuse treatment on HIV quality of care, (2) determine the effect of indicated care on HIV outcomes, and (3) determine the effect of integrated drug abuse and HIV care on HIV quality of care among persons with varying degrees of drug use over time.
- Korthuis PT, Feaster DJ, Gomez ZL, Das M, Tross S, Wiest K, Douaihy A, Mandler RN, Sorensen JL, Colfax G, McCarty D, Cohen SE, Penn PE, Lape D, Metsch LR. Injection Behaviors among Injection Drug Users in Treatment: the Role of Hepatitis C Awareness. Addictive Behaviors 2012; 37(4): 552-555. PMC3288438.
- Chou R. Routine screening for human immunodeficiency virus infection: Why don't the guidelines agree? Epidemiologic Reviews 2011;33:7-19.
- Korthuis PT, Saha S, Chander G, McCarty D, Moore RD, Cohn JA, Sharp VL, Beach MC. Substance Use and the Quality of Patient-Provider Communication in HIV Clinics. AIDS and Behavior 2011;15:832-841. PMC3077450
- Altice FL, Bruce RD, Lucas GM, Lum P, Korthuis PT, Flanigan T, Cunningham C, Sullivan LE, Vergara-Rodriguez P, Fiellin DA, Cajina A, Botsko M, Nandi V, Gourevitch M, Finkelstein R, BHIVES Collaborative. HIV Treatment Outcomes among HIV-infected, Opioid-Dependent Patients Receiving Buprenorphine/Naloxone Treatment and HIV Care: Results from a Multi-site Study. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2011;56:S22-32. PMC3263431
- Schackman BS, Leff J, Botsko M, Fiellin DA, Altice FL, Korthuis PT, Sohler N, Weiss L, Egan JE, Netherland J, Gass J, Finkelstein R, BHIVES Collaborative. The Cost of Integrated HIV Care and Buprenorphine/Naloxone Treatment: Results of a Cross-Site Evaluation. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2011;56 Suppl 1:S76-82. PMC3270565
- Korthuis PT, Berkenblit GV, Sullivan LE, Cofrancesco J, Cook RL, Bass M, Bashook PG, Edison M, Asch SM, Sosman JM. General Internists' Beliefs, Behaviors, and Perceived Barriers to Routine HIV Screening in Primary Care. AIDS Education and Prevention 2011; 23(3) Suppl:53-66. PMC3196638
- Korthuis PT, Fiellin DA, Rongwei F, Lum PJ, Altice FL, Sohler N, Tozzi MJ, Asch SM, Botsko M, Fishl M, Flannigan T, Boverman J, McCarty D, BHIVES Collaborative. Improving Adherence to HIV Quality of Care Indicators in Persons with Opioid Dependence: The Role of Buprenorphine. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2011;56 Suppl 1:S83-90. PMC3066190
- Agwu AL, Jang SS, Korthuis PT, Araneta MRG, Gebo KA. Pregnancy Incidence and Outcomes in Vertically and Behaviorally HIV-Infected Youth. JAMA 2011;305(5):468-70. PMC3252765Other Activities
- Saha S, Sanders DS, Korthuis PT, Cohn JA, Sharp VL, Haidet P, Moore RD, Beach MC. The role of cultural distance between patient and provider in explaining racial/ethnic disparities in HIV care. Patient Educ Couns 2011; 85(3):e278-e284.
- Korthuis PT, Tozzi MJ, Nandi V, Fiellin DA, Weiss L, Egan JE, Botsko M, Acosta A, Gourevitch MN, Hersh D, Hsu J, Boverman J, Altice FL, BHIVES Collaborative. Improved quality of life for opoid dependent patients receiving buprenorphine treatment in HIV clinics. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2011;56 Suppl 1:S39-45. PMC3073082
- Korthuis PT, Gregg J, Rogers WE, McCarty D, Nicolaidis C, Boverman J. Patients' Reasons for Choosing Office-based Buprenorphine: Preference for Patient-Centered Care. Journal of Addiction Medicine 2010;4(4):204-210. PMC3002395
- Korthuis PT, Josephs JS, Fleishman JA, Hellinger J, Himelhoch S, Chander G, Morse EB, Gebo KA. Substance abuse treatment in HIV: The role of patient-provider discussions. J Substance Abuse Treat 2008; 35(3):294-303. PMC2574740
- Korthuis PT, Zephyrin LC, Fleishman JA, Saha S, Josephs JS, McGrath MM, Hellinger J, Gebo KA. Health Related Quality of Life in HIV-Infected Patients: The role of substance use. AIDS Patient Care and STDs 2008; 22(11):859-67. PMC2596984
- Korthuis PT, Saha S, Fleishman JA, McGrath MM, Josephs JS, Moore RD, Gebo KA, Hellinger J, Beach MC. Impact of Patient Race on Patient Experiences of Access and Communication in HIV Care. J Gen Intern Med 2008; 23(12):2046-52. PMC2596522
- Chou R, Fu R, Huffman LH, Korthuis PT. Initial highly-active antiretroviral therapy with a protease inhibitor versus a non-nucleoside reverse transcriptase inhibitor: discrepancies between direct and indirect meta-analysis. Lancet 2006; 368:1503-15.
- Yamamura D, Chou R. Screening for HIV. American College of Physicians PIER (Physicians' Information and Education Resource). Philadelphia, PN: American College of Physicians, 2006 (updated quarterly).
- Chou R, Huffman LH, Fu R, Smits A, Korthuis PT. Screening for human immunodeficiency virus: a review of the evidence for the U.S. Preventive Services Task Force. Annals of Internal Medicine, 2005;143(1):55-73.
- Chou R, Smits A, Huffman LH, Fu R, Korthuis PT. Prenatal screening for human immunodeficiency virus: a review of the evidence for the U.S. Preventive Services Task Force. Annals of Internal Medicine, 2005;143(1):38-54.
- Korthuis PT, Anaya HD, Bozzette SA, Brinkerhoff CV, Mancewicz M, Wang M, Asch SM. Quality of HIV Care within the Veterans Affairs Health System: a comparison using Outcomes from the HIV Cost and Services Utilization Study (HCSUS). Journal of Clinical Outcomes Management, 2004;11(12):765-774