OHSU

DOM History

A History of the OHSU Department of Medicine

Dr. Howard P. Lewis Lecturing in room 8B60, University Hospital 1967. Courtesy of the OHSU Historical Collections & Archives.

 From its beginnings in 1887, the OHSU Department of Medicine has had an extensive history of leaders and locations.  Dr. Alan Hunter, Associate Professor of Medicine and head of the Division of Hospital medicine has compiled a History of the Department of Medicine that was presented at a Grand Rounds in 2001.

A History of the Department of Medicine (2.0Mb)

Emblem History

Emblem above the OHSU Old Library Auditorium entrance.OHSU Fountain ca. 1945. OHSU Old Library Auditorium is in the background.The Scientia Medica Continuet emblem is located over the entrance of the OHSU Auditorium or "Old Library." This building currently houses the main OHSU Auditorium, the OHSU Historical Collections and Archives and medical student meeting and study space.

The spirit of the words (medicine and science, a continuum) were central to the focus of the University then and continue to capture the vision of the Department of Medicine today.