Family Medicine Non-Credit Elective for New Medical Students
(Available ONLY to enrolled, incoming OHSU first-year students. See Application at right)
Incoming first-year students are invited to spend a week living and working with a family physician.
The Summer Observership enables students to:
- Gain early experience with medical, as well as, human dimensions of medicine (e.g., ethical issues, illness and family issues)
- Become more familiar with office-based and community health care
- Form relationships with physician role models and explore physician lifestyle issues
- Practice sites are available all over Oregon.
- Students are matched with preceptors according to interests and availability.
- Physician hosts provide housing and most meals.
Note: Students will be responsible for arranging their own transportation to and from their site.
- To enhance student preparation, students learn basic office, history and exam procedures during the required orientation day.
- Completion of required registration and information sheet
- Attendance at one-day orientation on OHSU campus
- Completion of one full week with assigned physician.
- Attendance at wrap-up barbecue and completion of feedback form.