Informatics Discovery Lab
Where Industry and Research Meet
Our mission is to provide leadership, discovery, and dissemination of knowledge in clinical informatics, clinical epidemiology, and bioinformatics & computational biology.
This mission is fulfilled through programs of research, education, collaboration, and service.
OHSU - Epic Partnership
OHSU's Informatics Discovery Lab and Epic, the industry leader in electronic health record (EHR) systems, have established a partnership to allow for hands-on education and research with EpicCare (Epic's EHR system). The partnership will allow OHSU informatics students and faculty to access the EpicCare source code, to investigate areas such as usability, analytics, simulation, interoperability and patient safety.
The IDL at Ignite Health
Ignite is a high-energy evening of 5-minute talks by local people who have a burning idea and 15 seconds per slide to share their passion. Ignite Health includes topics like wellness, pharmaceuticals, medical devices, and healthcare reform.
Department chair William Hersh gave an overview of the accomplishments of the past year of IDL at Ignite Health 2014. The video is available on YouTube
You can watch the 5-minute presentation.
We have established the Informatics Discovery Lab to address the important challenges that are facing healthcare and biomedical research that require a combination of informatics innovation and commercial collaboration as key components.
The IDL strives to be a dynamic, agile environment in which students, teachers, and researchers, as well as representatives from healthcare delivery organizations (HDOs), industry, and philanthropy, partner to:
- Foster highly relevant informatics research focused on real-world problems.
- Uncover commercially viable informatics opportunities.
- Accelerate informatics innovation and deployment.
- Give companies and employers greater access to a faculty with both broad and deep informatics expertise and a well-trained informatics workforce pool.
- Expand the number and variety of informatics practicum and internship opportunities available for students.
- Make available informatics educational opportunities beyond traditional certificate and degree programs for current professionals, members of industry, and others requiring deeper informatics education and experience.