Informatics Discovery Lab
Where Industry and Research Meet
Our mission is to provide leadership, discovery, and dissemination of knowledge in clinical informatics, clinical epidemiology, and bioinformatics & computational biology.
This mission is fulfilled through programs of research, education, collaboration, and service.
The IDL at Ignite Health
Ignite is a high-energy evening of 5-minute talks by local people who have a burning idea and 15 seconds per slide to share their passion. Ignite Health includes topics like wellness, pharmaceuticals, medical devices, and healthcare reform.
Department chair William Hersh presented on the history and mission of the IDL at Ignite Health in 2013.
You can watch the 5-minute presentation on our video blog.
We have established the Informatics Discovery Lab to address the important challenges that are facing healthcare and biomedical research that require a combination of informatics innovation and commercial collaboration as key components.
The IDL strives to be a dynamic, agile environment in which students, teachers, and researchers, as well as representatives from healthcare delivery organizations (HDOs), industry, and philanthropy, partner to:
- Foster highly relevant informatics research focused on real-world problems.
- Uncover commercially viable informatics opportunities.
- Accelerate informatics innovation and deployment.
- Give companies and employers greater access to a faculty with both broad and deep informatics expertise and a well-trained informatics workforce pool.
- Expand the number and variety of informatics practicum and internship opportunities available for students.
- Make available informatics educational opportunities beyond traditional certificate and degree programs for current professionals, members of industry, and others requiring deeper informatics education and experience.