About the Division of Management
Oregon Health & Science University is one of the only medical schools on the West Coast with a department specifically dedicated to healthcare management. By housing the Division of Management within OHSU's School of Medicine, our students receive a healthcare business perspective that cannot be found at a typical college. This unique focus enables us to draw an unusually qualified lineup of expert faculty and students dedicated to improving the quality, accessibility, and cost-effectiveness of the American healthcare system.
Our mission is to develop healthcare leaders and managers who can transform their organizations to meet the challenges of 21stcentury healthcare, which is defined by the Triple Aim of healthcare (to provide a quality experience for every patient, to reduce the per capita cost of healthcare, and to be responsible for the health of populations).
- We see particular value in a systems orientation and a partnership approach to overcoming the fragmentation of the current healthcare system.
- We are committed to developing and delivering education programs of the highest quality that support the much-needed transformation of the healthcare system and its component organizations.
- We emphasize practice-based learning and research.
- We are responsive to the needs of our students, faculty, staff and community.
- We recognize the importance of a knowledge community in which all stakeholders benefit from professional development.
- We are dedicated, compassionate and show integrity in all we do.
The Division of Management's mission is to educate healthcare managers through a curriculum that emphasizes leadership and the communication and teamwork skills needed to transform the business of healthcare. All students will have the opportunity to:
- Learn and immediately apply effective management skills
- Gain a systematic understanding of the American healthcare industry and the characteristics of that industry which distinguish it from other economic sectors
- Acquire relevant business knowledge, skills, and tools to be effective leaders
- Focus on the interpersonal and organizational skills to manage cross-professional teams and lead profound change
- Build a professional network with other successful students and alumni
- Become a part of the movement to bring positive change to the American healthcare system from the inside
- Attend Oregon Health & Science University lectures including Healthcare Management Grand Rounds
Why Earn a Degree or a Certificate from the OHSU Division of Management?
Our graduate management programs are designed with a very specific intent: to prepare students to effectively lead and manage in the healthcare, research and biotechnology industries. Compared to a traditional MBA or business degree, the learning from our programs are much more relevant to the student's professional situation. Healthcare and related industry materials are infused in all of the courses in our programs. The M.S. in Healthcare Management and the MBA program also include an integrative capstone experience, culminating in a group project where students form management teams and develop business plans for real organizations such as a rural health clinic or a healthcare organization providing care to uninsured patients.
Management courses are taught by faculty with outstanding professional and academic credentials. Faculty have developed their expertise through years of professional work in the healthcare, biotech & private sectors as well as distinguished research careers. Each class is designed to deliver cutting-edge knowledge about best practices. Managers and executives from the region's healthcare organizations visit classes to share their experience with the students. They tell us that Division of Management classes offer "knowledge you can apply Monday morning."
We designed our programs for working people, making it possible for students to attend intensive weekend and online classes and continue to fulfill their commitments at work and home. Students may begin taking classes in any quarter (except for the OHSU/PSU MBA in Healthcare Management which accepts students only for fall term), and may take individual courses for professional development prior to enrolling in the degree program. Our hybrid course model (online with two face-to-face weekends per-term) makes our degree programs available to students from the Pacific Northwest and beyond.
Our degree programs equip students with the functional expertise and the people skills to manage cross-boundary partnerships effectively. The curriculum and faculty emphasize the development of leadership and communications skills that are critical to collaboration between people from different functions, companies, and countries. Team projects, group exercises, and oral presentations are emphasized throughout the curriculum. In addition, small class sizes make interactions and discussions between faculty and students an enriching learning experience.