Phone: 503 821-1344
Fax: 503 218-1126
Research Assistant Professor, Department of Dermatology
Associate Professor, Oregon Institute of Technology
Electrical Engineering & Renewable Energy, 27500 SW Parkway Ave., Wilsonville, OR 97070
B.S. Applied Physics, Caltech, 1982
Ph.D. Biomedical Engineering, University of Texas at Austin, 1988
Scott Prahl received his Ph.D. doing biomedical optics in Texas in 1988. He spent a year as a post-doc at the Academic Medical Center in Amsterdam and a few years as Instructor at the Wellman Laboratories of Photomedicine at Harvard Medical School. He joined the Oregon Medical Laser Center at Providence St. Vincent's in 1992 and worked there until it closed in 2011. He is now Program Director of Optoelectronics at the Oregon Institute of Technology developing an optics curriculum.
Dr. Prahl won the Distinguished Teaching Award (“Teacher of Year”) during the 2000-2001 academic year at the Oregon Graduate Institute. cott Prahl began training his first graduate biomedical optics students in the fall of 1992 and has advised 4 Master's students (with thesis) and 7 Ph.D. students.
His current research interests include: diffuse reflectance spectroscopy, photo-cured dental composites, quantitative measurement of phase with microscopes, and devices to facilitate resection of breast tumors.
Optical Wire Lumpectomy
Propagation of partially coherent fields
- A. Dayton, L. Soot, R. Wolf, C. Gougoutas-Fox, and S. A. Prahl, “Light guided lumpectomy: First clinical experience,” J. Biophotonics, vol. 4, pp. 752–758, 2011.
- D. D. Duncan, D. G. Fischer, A. Dayton, and S. A. Prahl, “Quantitative Carré differential interference contrast microscopy to assess phase and amplitude,” J. Opt. Soc. Am. A, vol. 28, pp. 1297– 1306, 2011.
- L. J. Schneider, L. A. Cavalcante, S. A. Prahl, C. S. Pfeifer, and J. L. Ferracane, “Curing efficiency of dental resin composites formulated with camphorquinone or trimethylbenzoyl-diphenyl-phosphine oxide,” Dental Materials, vol. 28, pp. 392–397, 2012.
- R. McCargar, H. Xie, K. Price, and S. A. Prahl, “In vitro mechanical assessments of laser-welded vascular anastomoses using water as the chromophore and dissolvable extruded albumin stents,” Lasers in Surgery and Medicine, vol. 44, pp. 330–338, 2012.
- S. A. Prahl, A. Dayton, K. Juedes, E. J. Sánchez, R. P. López, and D. D. Duncan, “Experimental validation of phase using Nomarski microscopy with an extended Fried algorithm,” J. Opt. Soc. Am. A, submitted, 2012.