How to Graduate
One term prior to completing your degree requirements, you should begin to plan for graduation. Start by contacting your Academic Coordinator to indicate you intend to complete your degree that quarter. All transfer credits, substitutions and waivers must be approved and documented through your division.
If you have used a loan to help finance your education at OHSU, federal regulations require that you complete exit counseling when you graduate. Exit counseling is conducted by the Student Loan Department of Central Financial Services. For information call: 503 494-7314.
By the end of your graduation term please return your ID card, keys, equipment, lab materials and library books and make sure that payment of tuition and fees is current. OHSU transcripts and diplomas are withheld if these obligations are not met.
Below are the steps necessary to apply for your degree.
Certificate students are required to complete step 1 only. For questions about this process, contact your Academic Coordinator or the West Campus Registrar's office at firstname.lastname@example.org or 503 748-1382.
All steps apply to M.S. and Ph.D. candidates unless specifically noted. For questions about this process, contact your Academic Coordinator or the West Campus Registrar's office at email@example.com or 503 748-1382.
- Application for Degree form
One term prior to completing degree requirements please submit the Application for Degree Form (found at the Registrar's website under General Registrar Forms) to the Registrar's office at the location listed at the top of the form. You may fax the form. It is your responsibility to ensure this form has been submitted.
- Submit thesis/dissertation to the library — M.S. thesis and Ph.D. students only
- If you are completing a thesis/dissertation degree go to the OHSU library thesis/dissertation web page and follow the guidelines found in the Preparation/Guidelines for the School of Medicine. Frequently asked questions about Thesis Processing also provides helpful information.
- Within 6 months of successfully defending your thesis/dissertation, you must finish all corrections to your written thesis/dissertation and receive final approval from your committee. Following your committee's approval, your thesis/dissertation must be submitted to the OHSU or West Campus Library. A minimum of one hard copy and one electronic PDF copy must be submitted.
- The original Binding Receipt form (PDF), with library signature, must be submitted to the School of Medicine Graduate Studies Office:
School of Medicine Graduate Studies Officeor mail to:
Intercampus Mail code: L102GS
School of Medicine Graduate Studies Office
Oregon Health & Science University
Mail code L102GS
3181 SW Sam Jackson Park Road
Portland, OR 97239-3098
- Exit Photograph Request for Class Picture
A photograph is requested which will be used in a class composite picture of all School of Medicine graduates for the year or you may opt out of this request. If you are submitting a photograph it should be a quality portrait head shot. You may provide your own photo, e-mailed to firstname.lastname@example.org, or have your photo taken by OHSU's Photography & Graphic Design. There is a charge for this service. To use Photography & Graphic Design, complete the Exit Photo form (PDF) and make an appointment by calling 503-494-8040. Fax a copy of the receipt to the School of Medicine Graduate Studies office at 503 494-3400. If you choose to opt out please email email@example.com. In the subject line note "Class Photo Opt-Out" and state in the body of the email that you do not wish your photo included.
- Exit Contact Information form for School of Medicine
Please complete the Exit Contact Information Form (PDF) and fax the form to the School of Medicine Graduate Studies office at 503 494-3400 or email a scanned copy to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Survey of Earned Doctorates — Ph.D. students only
Please complete the online Survey of Earned Doctorates.