Students will be evaluated on the following criteria:
- Clinical judgment, accomplishment and quality of work: demonstration of professional responsibility
- Interpersonal relationships with other members of the health team; self-improvement and adaptability
- Ability to obtain, organize and analyze information
- Professionalism in appearance in both clinical and academic settings
At the end of the successful completion of all the requirements, you will receive your degree from OHSU. Also, at that time you will be eligible to apply to take the certification examination offered by the American Registry of Radiologic Technologists (ARRT). If you intend to seek employment in Oregon, you will be required to be licensed by the Oregon Board of Radiologic Technologists (OBRT).
Appropriate to the profession of radiation therapy, a student must:
1. Have the strength, motor coordination and manual dexterity to:
- Transport, move, lift or transfer patients from wheelchair or stretcher to a patient support assembly (table).
- Lift, move, adjust, and manipulate a variety of devices and equipment necessary for procedures.To arrange the devices and equipment properly with respect to the patient and the treatment prescription according to established procedures and standards of speed and accuracy.
- Physically place patient in proper position for procedure according to established standards of speed and accuracy.
2. Have communication and interpersonal skills necessary to:
- Communicate verbally in an effective manner to deliver explanation and directions to patients as it relates to the procedure.
- Properly communicate and interpret written or verbal instructions from therapists, physicians and/or other personnel.
- Record and verify necessary treatment information.
3. Be capable of:
- Handling stressful situations related to emotional, technical and procedural standards and patient care situations.
- Providing physical and emotional support to the patient during procedures and be able to respond with speed to situations requiring basic life support and emergency care of the patient in the absence of, or until the physician arrives.
4. Have the mental / intellectual capacity to:
- Calculate and select proper technical factors according to individual prescriptions with accuracy and speed.
- View and evaluate imaging modalities related to thetreatment area.