- 1. When does your portal open?
- Our site opens for applications on April 2, 2018 at 9:00 a.m. PDT.
2. When will I hear back about my application?
- We will start sending offers out after May 1, 2018
3. Are applications processed on a first come first serve basis?
- No, departments receive the applications and they process the applications based on merit.
4. Are there resources available for visiting students in regards to housing/transportation?
5. Do you offer scholarships for visiting students?
- We do not offer any financial assistance to visiting students.
6. Can a student apply to multiple departments?
- You can apply to as many departments as you would like, just be sure to rank your choices.
7. What are the odds I will be selected?
- Last year we had over 600 visiting students apply to OHSU and we were able to place 200 of those students. It is important to apply to multiple rotations and to rank your choices.
8. Do you accept foreign medical students?
- We only accept students from Canada who are currently enrolled in a LCME accredited school.
9. Can I receive extra malpractice coverage from OHSU?
- We do not provide extra malpractice coverage for visiting students if they do not have the level of coverage that we require. Talk with your home school officials to see if they can help you secure additional coverage.
10. I am a diversity student, do you have any assistance for me?
- Please see refer to this website.
Questions related to supplemental documents:1. I have never done a background check.
- You must submit a background check that has been done within the last 12 months. We do not have a specific vendor we prefer, but we do ask that a state (where your school is) and a federal check have been done and cleared. Once completed, upload the documents to VSAS.
2. Should I send hard copies of my supplemental documents or should I upload them to VSAS?
- Please upload all documents to VSAS. We will no longer be accepting documents that are not submitted on VSAS.
3. I do not have a hard copy of my Step 1 scores, what should I do?
- Have your school submit a letter on letterhead documenting that you have passed your boards.
4. What is the cut off score for Step 1?
- OHSU just requires that you have passed the boards.
- Have your school submit a letter stating that your Step 1 is taken after your third year due to a curriculum change.
6. Are there any additional requirements/documents besides those listed on VSAS?
- Individual programs may require additional information and they will contact you.
7. Do I need to have a BLS or ACLS certification?
- Yes, it needs to be completed before starting a rotation at OHSU.
Questions related to letters:
1. Who should my letter of recommendation be addressed too?
- Please address all letters to the Visiting Student Coordinator.
2. I waived my right to see my LOR, how am I supposed to upload it?
- Have your letter writer send it to your coordinator who will upload it into VSAS.
3. What goes into my letter of interest?
- Your letter should explain why you are interested in coming to OHSU and why you are interested in being placed in the department you are applying for.
Questions related to rotations:
1. What can I do to increase my chances of getting the rotation I want?
- The best strategy to being selected for an away rotation is to apply to multiple rotations and to have a completed application.
2. My school's rotations are staggered and do not match the rotations at OHSU, can you accommodate me?
- We will be unable to accommodate you.
3. The rotation I am interested in is not listed on the VSAS site, is that a mistake?
- No, departments close particular blocks and we are unable to place you in a closed block.
- Departments may be closed for the academic year due to the capacity being taken by OHSU students.
4. Can I do a two week rotation at OHSU?
- No, we cannot accommodate two week rotations.
5. Can I get a description of the rotation I am interested in?
- Please refer to our visiting student elective catalog on VSAS for a description.
6. How many electives/rotations can I participate in at OHSU?
- Visiting students can participate in a maximum of two-four week electives.
7. I want to make sure a rotation is available before I apply, who should I talk too?
- Availability of rotations cannot be confirmed by telephone or email.