This twice-monthly seminar is for medical students interested in a career as a physician-scientist. Every other session will be a discussion of a journal article of interest in a translational, clinical or population research area or on a topic connecting basic science to translational medicine with the overall objective of exploring and broadening interest in a physician-scientist career path. Students will choose and present the article along with their faculty mentors. On the alternate weeks, invited physician-scientists will give presentations regarding career development.
For MD students enrolled in the HIP program, contact Karen McCracken if you wish to be registered for academic credit.
Schedule: Second and Fourth Mondays of each month, 5:30-6:30 pm in CHH 3171/3181 unless otherwise noted.
Below is a schedule of upcoming presentations, at the bottom is a list of past presentations.
- November 27 - Journal Club
Boyden, L.M., et. al., Mutation in kelch-like 3 and cullin 3 cause hypertension and electrolyte abnormalities. Nature. 482,98-102(02 February 2012).
- December 11 - Student Presentation: Natalie Virell (Med 19)
- November 13 - Journal Club
Sabitine, M., et.al. Evolocumab and Clinical Outcomes in Patients with Cardiovascular Disease. N Engl J Med. 2017; 376:1713-1722 (Be sure to also read the Supplementary Appendix)
Hall, Stephen S., Genetics: A gene of rare effect. Nature. Vol 496; Apr 11, 2013
- October 9 - Journal Club
Adverse metabolic and cardiovascular consequences of circadian misalignment, PNAS, 106, 4453-4458 (2009).
A circadian gene expression atlas in mammals: Implications for biology and medicine, PNAS, 111, 16219-16224 (2014).
- October 23 - Seminar
Writing a proposal I (Feasibility)
- September 25 - Seminar:
Finding a Mentor/Finding Funding
- September 11 - Journal Club Discussion (Genetics focus) - Note: see student announcement for off-campus location
Tomasetti, C, Vogelstein, B. Variation in cancer risk among tissues can be explained by the number of stem cell divisions. Science. 347, 78-81 (2015) - See Annotated version through Science in the Classroom.
Tomassetti, C, et. al. Stem cell divisions, somatic mutations, cancer etiology, and cancer prevention. Science. 355, 1330-1334 (2017)
- August 4 - Student Presentation: Cecilia Huang (Med 19)
Exploring the Cellular Effects of PCSK9 Inhibition
- July 24 - Student Presentation: Chace Moleta (Med18)
Research in Retinopathy of Prematurity
- June 12 - Physician-Scientist presentation - Judith Bowen, MD
- May 8 - Journal club discussion
Intrauterine famine exposure and body proportions at birth: the Dutch Hunger Winter. Int J Epidemiol 2004
- April 24 - Nicole Marshall, MD, MCR
- April 10 - Journal club discussion
Learned Helplessness Among Families and Surrogate Decision-Makers of Patients Admitted to Medical, Surgical, and Trauma ICUS. Chest, December 2012
- March 13 - Physician-scientist presentation - Donald Sullivan, MD
- February 13 - Physician-scientist presentation - Joshi Alumkal, MD
- February 27 - Journal Club discussion
Mutations Associated with Acquired Resistance to PD-1 Blockade in Melanoma. N Engl J Med. 2016 Sep 1
- January 23 - Student Presentation: Tameka Smith, MS3
'Risk factors for syphilis infection among women in Multnomah and Washington counties.'
- January 9 - Journal Club discussion
Fish Oil–Derived Fatty Acids in Pregnancy and Wheeze and Asthma in Offspring. N Engl J Med. 2016 Dec. 29
- December 12 - Physician-scientist presentation - Cindy McEvoy, MD, MCR
- November 28 - Journal Club discussion
Two Phase 3 Trials for Dupilumab versus Placebo in Atopic Dermatitis. New England Journal of Medicine, 30 Sep 2016
- November 14 - Physician-scientist presentation - Eric Simpson, MD, MCR
- October 10 - Physician-scientist presentation - Brian Johnstone, PhD
- August 4 - Journal Club - Wendy McGinnis
ApoE2 exaggerates PTSD-related behavioral, cognitive, and neuroendocrine alterations. Neuropsychopharmacology, 6 May 2015
- July 7 - Physician-scientist presentation - Holly Hinson, MD, MCR
- June 16 - Journal Club - Alla Yarmosh
Liberal or Restrictive Transfusion after Surgery, NEJM, 12 March 2015
- June 2 - Physician-scientist presentation – Brian Druker, MD
- May 26 – Journal club - Bob Pranaat
Prone Positioning in Severe Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome, The New England
Journal of Medicine, 6 June 2013
- May 5 – Physician-scientist presentation –Cailin Sibley, MD
- April 28 – Journal Club - Katy Lawson and David Jacoby
Early infancy microbial and metabolic alterations affect risk of childhood asthma, Science Translational Medicine, 30 Sep 2015
- April 7 – Physician-scientist presentation –Matthew Drake, MD
- March 31 –Intro to Journal Club: How to select, read and present a paper