Tuition and Fees
For the Academic Year 2014-15, required HIP core courses and some HIP elective courses are exempt from tuition. All other courses are charged tuition of $500 per credit for HIP students in any track whether they are taking the course for academic credit or as an auditor. In addition, a nominal University Fee of $48.00 per term applies.* In the rare case that a HIP student takes 9 credits or more in a term, there are additional university fees and trainees should budget accordingly. See the Registrar's web page for more details on the current tuition and fees and a refund schedule.
Students graduating from the certificate or MCR programs are responsible for paying a graduation fee in their final term. In Academic Year 2014-15, the graduation fee is $50.00.
*Please note the University Fee of $18.50 rose to $48.00 as of 2014
Tuition-free HIP courses
- HIP 510 Introduction to Clinical Research (1 cr, 1st year core course)
- HIP 511 Clinical Research Design I (2 cr, 1st year core course)
- HIP 512 Clinical Research Design II (2 cr, 1st year core course)
- HIP 513 Clinical Research Design III (2 cr, 1st year core course)
- HIP 511A Proposal Development (1 cr, 1st year core course)
- HIP 512A Biostatistics lab (1 cr, elective)
- HIP 514 Molecular and Cellular Approaches to Disease (2 cr, 2nd year core course)
- HIP 516 Protection of Human Subjects (1 cr, 2nd year core course)
- HIP 517 Scientific Writing (1.5 cr, 2nd year core course)
- HIP 507A Evidence-based Medicine (2 cr, 2nd year core course)
- HIP 518 Introduction to Outcomes Research (1 cr, 2nd year core course)
- HIP 522 Fundamentals of RCTs (1.5 cr, elective)
- HIP 523 Computerized Data Management (1.5 cr, elective)
- HIP 509 Systematic Review Practicum (1-6 cr, elective)
- HIP 526 Capstone (6 cr, distributed dependent on project timeline)
HIP Courses Subject to Tuition
- HIP 520 Medical Informatics (1.5 cr, elective)
- HIP 527 Systematic Reviews (2 cr, elective)
- HIP 528 Applied Biostatistics I (3 cr, elective)
- HIP 529 Applied Biostatistics II (3 cr, elective)
- HIP 530 Leadership Skills for Team Science (2 cr, elective)
- HIP 531 Best Practices in Project Management (2 cr, elective)
- HIP 532 Understanding and Managing Academic Organizations (2 cr, elective)
- HIP 533 Community Based Research (2 cr, elective)
- HIP 534 Health Disparities Research (1 cr, elective)
Note: The listing of tuition exempt courses is subject to change without notice.
Budgeting for Tuition
- A total of 24 credits is required for the Certificate track. As all core courses are tuition-free, one can complete the track without paying tuition but candidates may want to budget tuition for an elective. Students will be required to pay the $48.00 University Fee each term.
- A total of 45 credits is required for the MCR track. Candidates should budget tuition for at least 21 credits. Students will be required to pay the $48.00 University Fee each term.
- Students who plant to take 9 credits or more, should include additional university fees in their budgeting. See the Registrar's web page for more details.
Paying TuitionAn e-mail alert will be sent to your preferred e-mail address. After receipt of that e-mail a current statement can be viewed by logging onto the student online information system (ISIS). Full payment for tuition and fees must be made one week after the start of classes of classes or within one week for students that register after that. For more information about paying tuition, including third party payments, refer to the Bursar/Student Billing Office (503-494-8243).
Employee Tuition Benefit Program
Courses in the HIP Program that are subject to tuition are eligible for the employee tuition benefit. OHSU employees who meet the eligibility requirements may apply for the tuition benefits. Please note that not all graduate programs participate for this benefit.
Details of this program and eligibility can be found on the Ozone site for Education Assistance
Background Check Fee
There is a one-time background check fee and requirement for an ID badge for students who are admitted and not affiliated with OHSU or the VA. Students requiring a background check will receive an email from Pre-Employ with instructions on completing the request form online. Students are responsible for any fees associated with this background check.
The Human Investigations Program is supported by the Oregon Clinical and Translational Research Institute (OCTRI) which is funded by the National Center for Advancing Translational Sciences (NCATS) and by contributions from the OHSU School of Medicine, the VA Medical Center and departments at OHSU.