Non-Degree Application

All applications materials are to be submitted to the HIP program coordinator by July 15th. Applications will be considered on a space available basis after this date. All applications are reviewed at one time and applications will be notified of admission decisions by mid-August.

Graduate students currently enrolled in a Ph.D. program at OHSU should contact the HIP program office before submitting an online application to learn about additional application material requirements.

Application Instructions: HIP Non-degree Track

1. Complete the online application.   Apply Now.

Once you log into the select Human Investigations Program for Fall Term.  Choose non-degree as the planned course of study. If you do not see Human Investigations Program listed under programs or non-degree track listed under course of study, please contact us. Do not submit a non-degree application to another program.


Submit the following material by e-mail to hip@ohsu.edu:

2. A current CURRICULUM VITAE, which includes education, residencies and fellowships.

3. In a SUPPORTING DOCUMENT, please answer the following questions. 
  1. After carefully looking over the non-degree track information, course descriptions and the class schedule, list each class that you wish to take including the term, year  and whether you wish to audit the course or take for academic credit.  List your planned courses for each year that you plan to participate.  Note that you will receive a confirmation of courses that you may enroll in when you receive acceptance into the program.  More information for non-degree track
  2. Indicate if you are required by your fellowship program to take classes in the HIP program.


Example supporting document

Submit the following material by mail or personally deliver to:

Human Investigations Program, MAIL CODE: BICC
Oregon Clinical and Translational Research Institute
Oregon Health & Science University
3181 SW Sam Jackson Park Road

Portland, OR 97239-3098


Located on the 5th floor of the Biomedical Informatics Communication Center (BICC or Library Building), on the OHSU campus, BICC 526F.  We're in the first row of cubicles on the east side.

4. COLLEGE TRANSCRIPTS.You must provide an official transcript from the university or college that granted your doctoral degree. The transcripts must arrive in a sealed envelope and should be mailed directly to the HIP program. Alternatively, If you submit the transcripts personally, they must be in a sealed (unopened), original envelope. *A notarized copy of your doctoral degree diploma is acceptable if a graduate from a foreign university and you are on faculty or staff of OHSU or the VA.


*If you are an applicant on faculty or staff at OHSU and have a degree from a foreign institution, you can submit a notarized copy of your highest degree.  If you are not on faculty or staff, and have a degree from a foreign institution, you are required to provide World Education Service (WES) International Credential Advantage Package (ICAP) credential evaluations for all foreign colleges attended. Applicants need to consult WES's website for instructions and fees at www.wes.org. The applicant will be responsible for the full cost of this service. All students with degrees from foreign institutions of all countries of origin will need to complete this service. If the applicant has already completed a similar credential evaluation through WES or another company, the Graduate Studies Office may evaluate on a case-by-case basis whether a WES ICAP will be needed.