Clearinghouse Web Sites
Try these for hundreds of links to funding sources:
- The Council of Graduate Schools - In addition to fellowship and financial aid information, this site contains a good list of Graduate Student Organizations.
- Graduate and Postdoctorate Extramural Support (GRAPES) from UCLA - An excellent resource.
- Grantsnet - the world's most extensive compilation of searchable data on medical and life science funding. Becoming a member is painless and well worth the time.
- IRIS - OHSU is a member school for this database. Search by discipline ("science" is too general), deadline date, organization, etc.
Other Schools Clearinghouse Web Sites
- University of Michigan - Links to funding opportunities, scroll down the page.
Groups of Grants
- American Chemical Society - The ACS helps to administer awards and funding from several private organizations. For a listing of awards, download "Awards Administered by American Chemical Society" in PDF format.
- Department of Health and Human Services Grantsnet - Several links to federal grants. "Edit-Select All" if the links are difficult to read.
- National Academies Fellowship Programs Unit - a short list of primarily federal fellowships and links to other lists.
- National Council of University Research Administrators - Information on Ford Fellowships, Howard Hughes Medical Institute Predoctoral Fellowships, and others.
- National Institutes of Health Student Training Opportunities
- Oak Ridge Institute for Science and Education - for graduate students and faculty.
Grants for Women and Underrepresented Minorities
- American Association of University Women (AAUW) - the largest source of funding exclusively for graduate women in the world.
- Association for Women in Science (AWIS) - useful for graduate students, postdocs, and faculty. The last link on this page leads to a variety of resources for women in science.
- The Ada Project - Yale University's List of Online Funding - originally for women in computer science, this resource offers information on several basic science fellowships as well as excellent links for academic advising and postdoctoral placement.
- National Consortium for Graduate Degrees for Minorities in Engineering and Science
- - Use the link on the left bar for "The Fellowship Program."
- National Institutes of Health Initiatives for Underrepresented Minority Investigators - a list of the NIH funding opportunities specifically for underrepresented minorities, predoctoral and postdoctoral.
- Oak Ridge Institute for Science and Education Diversity Programs - mainly summer study programs.
Individual Funding Sources
- The Alfred P. Sloan Foundation
- American Cancer Society - most ACS funding is intended for postdoctoral and faculty research but this is worth a check if your project is cancer-related.
- American Federation for Aging Research - for graduate students, medical students, postdoctoral fellows and faculty.
- American Heart Association, Northwest Affiliate - Predoctoral, Postdoctoral and faculty awards.
- Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis Association - postdoctoral and faculty level research only.
- Associated Western Universities, Inc. - fellowship, internship and sabbatical opportunities for graduate students and postdocs. Requires a simple sign-up procedure.
- Earthwatch Center for Field Research - a variety of fellowships in several disciplines.
- Department of Defense - A highly competitive, high-prestige fellowship that has been won by OHSU students in the past.
- Howard Hughes Medical Institute Predoctoral Fellowships in the Biological Sciences - for students who have completed less than one year of graduate study.
- Harry Frank Guggenheim Foundation - for the last year of graduate study on work that promises to increase understanding of the causes, manifestations, and control of violence, aggression, and dominance. Open to citizens of every country.
- NASA Graduate Student Researchers Program - includes fellowships in the life sciences.
- National Science Foundation Graduate Research Fellowships - for first-year graduate students.
- Pacific Northwest National Laboratory - Choose "Internships/Fellowships" on left-hand bar.
- Sigma Xi Grants-in-Aid of Research - for undergrad's and graduate students.
- Tartar Trust Fellowships - for OHSU graduate students, postdoctoral fellows and faculty.
Travel Grants/Special Projects
- Argonne National Laboratory - Choose "Higher Education" on the left-hand bar. Funding for a few days to a year at the Argonne National Laboratory in Illinois.
- Chateaubriand Fellowship Program - a six- to twelve-month fellowship to study in France; pre- and post-doctoral research supported.
- Deutscher Akademischer Austauschdienst - A listing of scholarship programs for study and research in Germany.
- International Union Against Cancer - Fellowships for international cancer study.
- Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory - research opportunities for all educational levels at the LLNL in Livermore, California.
- NATO Science Fellowships - The Basic Fellowship program provides for one year's study abroad. Additional fellowships are available for postdoctoral fellows and faculty.
- National Science Foundation International Programs - three types of programs for funded study abroad.
- The Whitaker Foundation - science fellowships with a preference toward biomedical engineering.
- Wood's Hole Marine Biological Laboratory - primarily to help support the costs of summer research at the MBL.