The Dietetic Internship Program places interns throughout Portland and Medford, Oregon and Southwest Washington for supervised practice, giving interns the opportunity to experience nutrition care in urban, suburban, and rural settings. Students placed in Medford will complete all supervised practice rotations in their community for the duration of the program.
Supervised practice rotations provide students with experience in community, food service, clinical, and specialty practice settings. Students practice and apply principles and skills in dietetics and nutrition to real situations under the guidance of professionals in the field. Supervised practice generally occurs Tuesdays through Fridays each week throughout the Dietetic Internship Program.
Supervised practice rotations are coordinated with Monday didactic course topics. Summer and fall term supervised practice rotations and courses focus on retail and patient food service management, nutrition education, and public health.Winter term rotations and courses provide students with experience in basic clinical nutrition.Specialized dietetic practice and unique patient populations are addressed in spring term courses and supervised practice rotations. Students in Medford attend Monday didactic courses though videoconferencing.
Suitable placements for supervised practice are developed by the Dietetic Internship Director. When assigning primary placement sties, our program takes student preferences and several other factors into consideration, but students may be placed in Portland, Southwest Washington, or Medford regardless of student preference. Students are assigned to a primary placement site for the majority of their supervised practice; however, several external rotations give students the opportunity to experience working in a variety of other settings. Distance between the students' primary placement and practice sites may vary and extended distances may occur.
Medford-placed students should review technology requirements for Distance Learning under our Technology webpage.
Primary Placement Sites
- Asante Rogue Regional Medical Center (Medford, OR)
- Kaiser Sunnyside Medical Center
- Legacy Emanuel Medical Center
- Oregon Health & Science University Hospital
- Providence Health & Services
- PeaceHealth Southwest Medical Center (Vancouver, WA)
Sample of Additional Rotation Sites
- Oregon Dairy & Nutrition Council, Nutrition Education Services
- Oregon State University Extension Service, Family and Community Health
- Oregon Health Authority, Public Health Division
- Our House of Portland
- Portland Public Schools, Nutrition Services
- Portland Shriners Hospital for Children
- WIC Clinics (multiple sites) & Oregon WIC Program