The Dietetic Internship Program places interns throughout Oregon, SW Washington, Eugene & Medford for supervised practice, giving interns the opportunity to experience nutrition care in urban, suburban, and rural settings. Students placed in Medford or Eugene will complete all supervised practice rotations in their community for the duration of the program.
Supervised practice rotations provide students with experience in community, food service, clinical, and specialty practice settings. Students practice and apply principles and skills in dietetics and nutrition to real situations under the guidance of professionals in the field. Supervised practice generally occurs Tuesdays through Fridays each week throughout the Dietetic Internship Program.
Supervised practice rotations are coordinated with Monday didactic course topics. Fall term supervised practice rotations focus on nutrition education, public health, retail food service management, and patient food service management. Winter term rotations provide students with experience in basic clinical nutrition. Specialized dietetic practice and unique patient populations are addressed in spring term supervised practice rotations. Students in Medford and Eugene attend Monday didactic courses though videoconferencing.
Suitable placements for supervised practice are developed by the Dietetic Internship Director and Administrative Coordinator. When assigning primary placement sties, our program takes student preferences into consideration but students may be placed in Portland, Medford or Eugene. Students are assigned to a primary placement site for the majority of their supervised practice; however, several external rotations give students the opportunity to experience working in a variety of other settings. Distance between the student's primary placement and practice sites may vary and extended distances may occur.
Primary Placement Sites
- Kaiser Sunnyside Medical Center
- Legacy Emanuel Medical Center
- Oregon Health & Science University
- Portland VA Medical Center
- Providence Health & Services
- Rogue Regional Medical Center (Medford)
- Sacred Heart Medical Center (Eugene)
- PeaceHealth Southwest Medical Center (Vancouver, WA)
Sample of Additional Rotation Sites
- Lane Coalition for Healthy Active Youth (Eugene)
- Oregon Dairy Council, Nutrition Education Services
- Oregon State University Extension Service, Family and Community Health
- Oregon Health Authority, Public Health Division
- Our House of Portland
- Portland Public Schools, Nutrition Services
- Portland Shriners Hospital for Children
- WIC Clinics (multiple sites) & Oregon WIC Program