Faculty and students of the Graduate Programs in Human Nutrition participate in a variety of food and nutrition programs and events in the Portland metropolitan area, throughout the state, and in regional and international locations. Outreach opportunities include providing nutrition education classes to the general public and patients with chronic diseases, participating in health fairs and conferences, and helping underserved and disadvantaged groups through service learning experiences.
Area of Concentration
As a fundamental component of the mission and vision of OHSU and the Dietetic Internship Program, our area of concentration is Community Outreach. Our concentration in Community Outreach builds upon several of ACEND's required Professional Practice competencies, as well as the following concentration-specific competencies:
- Identify a specific community need(s) involving food and nutrition, set the goals and objectives, and integrate all required parties to carry out the project or activity.
- Execute and then assess the effectiveness and impact of the community-focused project or activity.
These learning objectives are incorporated throughout the Dietetic Internship curriculum. Each intern selects a community outreach project related to food or nutrition that is of personal interest, writes a project proposal, and independently carries out the project. Project planning begins in the summer and continues through winter and spring quarters with project implementation, evaluation and presentation.
2014 – 2015 Community Outreach Projects
- Promoting Healthy Providence Oregon Employees: Implementing nutrition education in support of the Healthy Dining Initiative
- Establishing collaborative relationships with local referral agencies to increase WIC clientele in Clackamas County, Oregon
- Cook for Health
- From Garden to Table: Increasing nutritional knowledge, fruit and vegetable consumption in adolescents with psychiatric disorders
- Northwest Mothers Milk Bank Human Donor Milk: Providing an educational module for safe handling practices in clinical settings
- Unraveling the Market: Raising awareness on food marketing to youth